Best recorded albums of all time?
Jul 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #121 of 464
How do you guys determine what is "best recorded"?  Do you go strictly by how it sounds to you, or do you measure dynamic range, look at a spectrogram, or something else that helps to quantify or visualize the recording?

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #122 of 464
Good engineering is a matter of smart techniques and creative decisions. It isn't something that shows up on charts and graphs. It's all about striking tasteful balances.

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #123 of 464
I just go by how it sounds. Very unscientific, I know. 

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #124 of 464
Bump for more nominations and less gum flappin'. 
size]

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #125 of 464
Some great stuff mentioned in this thread.

Holly Cole - Temptation
David Crosby - If I could only remember my name
Nickel Creek - Nickel Creek
Belafonte - Live at Carnegie Hall
Willie Nelson - Stardust
Alison Krauss - So Long so Wrong

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #127 of 464
OK, here we go - alphabetical order by Artist.  Only works I've actually purchased and listen to on a regular basis.

The B-52's "Cosmic Thing" - Audio Fidelity 24KT Gold version
Dio "Holy Diver" - Audio Fidelity 24KT Gold version
Dio "Last in Line" - Audio Fidelity 24KT Gold version
Donald Fagen "The Nightfly"
Faith No More "Angel Dust" - Mobile Fidelity

Frank Zappa "Apostrophe (')"
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention - "One Size Fits All" [Po-Jama People rocks - the piano and guitar sound awesome] (I need to see which release I own)
Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon"
Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here"
Red Hot Chili Peppers "Mother's Milk" - Mobile Fidelity (original EMI isn't bad, either, but the MoFi version cleans things up just enough to make it the superior release)

Rush "Moving Pictures" - Mercury 534631
Rush "Permanent Waves" - Mobile Fidelity
Rush "Signals" - Mercury 534633
Rush "Presto" - Atlantic 83736
Santana "Santana" - Mobile Fidelity

Santana "Abraxas" - Mobile Fidelity
Scorpions "Love at First Sting - Audio Fidelity 24KT Gold version
Steely Dan "Can't Buy A Thrill"
Steely Dan "Pretzel Logic"
Steely Dan "Aja"

Steely Dan "Gaucho"
Yes "Fragile" - Mobile Fidelity
Yes "90125" - Audio Fidelity 24KT Gold version

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #129 of 464
Please keep in mind that it isn't just the recording, but the mastering, particularly in the case of recordings from the '50s through the '70s which have been remastered (on both analog and digital formats) over and over again. In particular, many recent remasters have been less about extracting better sound from the master tape than about making it sound more "modern" by adding dynamic compression. For example, the original CD releases from Dire Straits (including the "Love Over Gold" mentioned several times here) were quite good, but the touted remasters from the mid-2000s made the music a victim of the "loudness wars." And, in cases of sonically-renowned albums like DSotM, you can find websites covering dozens of different editions, and the varying sonic benefits of each.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #130 of 464
Roger Waters - Amused to death deserves to at least be mentioned here...

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #133 of 464
[size=10pt]Ohh where do I start? I'll mention only few, there is much more:[/size]

[size=10pt]Rebecca Pidgeon – The Raven[/size]
[size=10.0pt]http://www.chesky.com/rebecca-pidgeon--the-raven.html[/size]

[size=10pt]The Body Acoustic[/size]
http://www.chesky.com/mihigochbrbo.html

[size=10pt]An basically most (if not all) of the Chesky Records productions. [/size]

[size=10pt]Rafał Blechacz – Sonatas [/size]
[size=10.0pt]http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/cat/single?sort=newest_rec&PRODUCT_NR=4777453&UNBUYABLE=1&per_page=50&ART_ID=BLERA&flow_per_page=50&presentation=flow[/size]

[size=10pt]Rafał Blechacz - Chopin – the piano concertos[/size]
[size=10.0pt]http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/cat/single?sort=newest_rec&PRODUCT_NR=4778088&UNBUYABLE=1&per_page=50&ART_ID=BLERA&flow_per_page=50&presentation=flow[/size]

[size=10pt]Lang Lang Live in Vienna – I was speechless after listening. [/size]

[size=10pt]Peter Malick Group + New York City (feat. Norah Jones)[/size]
[size=10.0pt]http://www.allmusic.com/album/new-york-city-mw0000032314[/size]

[size=10pt]Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories)[/size]

John Hammond - Rough & Tough

Cincinnati Pops Orchestra and Erich Kunzel - Round-Up

[size=10pt]I agree with the author of this thread, Michael Jacksons’ productions are superb quality. [/size]

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #135 of 464
Gents, I havent been through all these posts yet but thought I would mention it as this came to me - apologies if its been mentioned before.

As recordings can vary depending on pressings\versions\years, when posting the album details can you also post the ASIN\EAN\ISO barcode number and\or release date of the album so we know exactly which version you are referring to.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back