Best recorded albums of all time?
May 20, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #61 of 464
Golden Earring - "The Naked Truth" Awesome live recording. You very rarely hear sound this good in a live release.
Joni Mitchell - "Turbulent Indigo" One of the best sounding albums I've heard. The music is great, too.
Geoffrey Oryema - "Spirit" My favorite of all his albums. Well recorded, great music.

May 20, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #62 of 464
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverish
Ah god! I've got a very well kept Mobile Fidelity Gold Disk of DSotM ( my dad's ) but alas! no record players in the house are set up at the moment. I'm waiting till things cool down as far as school goes and then setting one up immediately. The wait is killing me
mad.gif

A Mobile Fidelity Gold disk specifically is one of the gold plated CD's They had great production values and tended to sound very good. Mobile Fidelity got their start making half speed master LP's which have become collector items. The truely great DSOTM disc was the UHQR (Ultra High Quality Record). Possible the best sounding rock LP ever made (I own this disc). Another UHQR worth collecting is the Supertramp Crime of the Century UHQR (I also own this disc).

UHQR's originally retailed for arround $50 (twenty years ago). Some can fetch several hundred dollars on the used market

May 20, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #63 of 464
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
UHQR's originally retailed for arround $50 (twenty years ago). Some can fetch several hundred dollars on the used market

Wow really. I think my dad has one or two albums like that in his old record collection. Maybe I can get him to give them too me. (ebay time
evil_smiley.gif
)

May 20, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #65 of 464
A vote for Nigel Kennedy plays Bach with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra.

Not exactly the point of this thread but even being a Sting fan I want to share that I'm very disappointed in the 'Sacred Love' recording. I have a CD/SACD hybrid and it sounded as if the music came out of a bottle on a CDP. (not listened to on headphones but on a Hi-Fi system I consider clearly superior to my Ety ER4P/ iPod /no amp combo)

May 20, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #66 of 464
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbonman
Golden Earring - "The Naked Truth" Awesome live recording. You very rarely hear sound this good in a live release.

almost all of Zappa's live albums are superlative rock recordings.

another excellent recording (and album) is Rickie Lee Jones' eponymous debut.

May 20, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #67 of 464
Frank Zappas Masterpiece, Civilization Phase III

Well most of FZs work is greatly produced and absolutely amazing to hear.. also worth mentioning:
Joe Satriani: An Anthology
Santana: Caravanserai
Björk: Medúlla
Mortiis: The Grudge

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #69 of 464
Well, since "of all time" has not happened yet I cannot come up with a definitive list.

But I shall reserve this spot in the thread for when time does come to an end.

Jul 20, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #70 of 464
Disregarding content, The best recorded/produced album of all time is Seven Veils by Steve Roach. (I also happen to like the content, but that is a separate matter.) You haven't heard the kind of soundstage that modern recording technology makes possible until you have heard this CD!

Jul 20, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #71 of 464
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't really understand the fuzz about DSOTM having a "great" recording. I find the imaging odd and the sound somehow clogged. It's good, but clearly doesn't have the sweetness and air a great recording should have.

DSOTM was the state of the art in its day. It just so happens that its day has passed. Recording technology has moved on since then.
If you want to hear what the same producer/engineer can do with today's best studio, check out A Valid Path (by Alan Parsons, of course.)

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #74 of 464
Rather than repeating stuff that's already here...

Although one could say it's almost too clean in a sanitized studio type of way I guess that makes it a quality recording, mixing, engineering all around - Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare

Users who are viewing this thread

Back