Best recorded albums of all time?
Aug 10, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #377 of 464
getting into quality produced/sounding music and flac is an area i'm fast becoming interested in

I also subscribe to Tidal hifi which is great for exploring new venues,  and if i like it i'll buy it...but i'm also finding Tidal hifi can be so-so in their offerings if their streamed music is subpar to begin with (bad mastering/production).

Hi-fi music streaming: People can't tell it when they hear it

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/05/hifi-music-streaming-services-people-cant-tell-it-when-they-hear-it.html

will definitely look at some of these selections on this site.

Aug 11, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #378 of 464

doesn't prove a thing to me. A'Bing isn't productive in evaluating musical satisfaction....
living with the changed setup over time, then reverting back after say a week or two
is much more effective. It's not whether one can appreciate a difference on the spot
but the amount of musical enjoyment the change makes after having lived with it for a while.

For me, my whole being relaxes with a real improvement to my system - not just superficial sonic
differences but how involving and musically satisfying my system is on a longterm basis.

While I do enjoy Tidal HIFI, iTunes music purchases are excellent in their own way (and take up much less space).

Still, knowing that I'm getting the complete uncompressed file is important to me with Tidal, 
and if it's placebo I don't care....it works for me! 

Oct 15, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #380 of 464
There are so many

But three that immediately spring to mind are:

Livingston Taylor - 'Ink'

Diana Krall - 'All For You' (A dedication to the Nat 'King' Cole Trio)  (yes, I realise she's unpopular with some on Head-Fi - it's still a well-recorded album, though)

Robben Ford - 'The Authorized Bootleg':

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #382 of 464
Mop Mop - Lunar Love
wink_face.gif

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #384 of 464
Steely Dan - Gaucho.  Unbelievable production.

Dec 24, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #385 of 464
love this thread..too bad there wasn't a 'best cd' version as i don't buy albums...but with both cds and albums
it seems that some productions (and remasters) are better than others, of any particular artist
...esp when you head to steve hoffman forums.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #389 of 464
- LP of Monty Alexander Live at Montreux jazz festival 1976. Best live of jazz to myself.
- Michel Jonasz "Le temps passé". 11 minutes to push limits of your system. The dynamics of the recording, the proximity of the voice, the depth of the bass, tense and percussive.
No wonder it is still used to demonstrate the performance of a high-fidelity equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back