Best recorded albums of all time?
Jan 25, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #391 of 464
A Meeting By The River is a master piece recording, simple, pure, dynamic and most of all real and for certain the one recording for my deserted isle loop.

Best Piece - Ganges Delta Blues, IMHO

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #393 of 464
Herbie Hancock, The piano. The piano is on the wide side, but it's a great recording and performance.

Cowboy Junkies, Trinity Session. A stereo mic, a great room and a band (and engineer) good enough to not need to fix anything in the mix.  

Pierre Boulez/the Cleveland Orchestra, Stravinsky The Right of Spring/Le Sacre du Printemps. I don't know if it's the best, but it's a great performance and recording. 

Maria Schneider, The Thompson Fields.  A recent favorite. It's large ensemble instrumental jazz that weaves textures.

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #395 of 464
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Rod Stewart - A Night on the Town
Led Zeppelin - I
Eagles - Eagles
Eagles - One of These Nights
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Billy Joel - The Stranger
Roger Waters - Amused to Death
Van Morrison - Hard Nose the Highway
Counting Crows - August and Everything After
Beatles - Revolver
Secret Machines - Now Here is Nowhere

I'm sure more will come to mind...

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #396 of 464
One of my favourite piano solo album of Cecil Taylor it's also one of the best recorded. Released in 1980 on MPS, it's also one of the best approach to Cecil Taylor's universe.

Cecil Taylor - Fly! fly! fly! fly! fly! (1980) {MPS}

May 18, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #397 of 464
Keb' Mo' - Just Like You

keb__mo_-just_like_you-front.jpg

Jun 10, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #398 of 464
Unless the thread search function is misfiring, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Macy Gray's recent album, 'Stripped'

Very decent recording, even though I wouldn't generally otherwise consider myself a Macy Gray fan.

youtube.com/watch?v=8ucGbREFrA4
youtube.com/watch?v=RXGj7-JvYq0

Jun 11, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #399 of 464
Unless the thread search function is misfiring, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Macy Gray's recent album, 'Stripped'

Very decent recording, even though I wouldn't generally otherwise consider myself a Macy Gray fan.

youtube.com/watch?v=8ucGbREFrA4
youtube.com/watch?v=RXGj7-JvYq0

It's a very good recording. It has an average dynamic range of 13. It's from Chesky Records.

Jun 15, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #400 of 464
Nas - Illmatic 1994

Jun 15, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #404 of 464
No Way. It's a victim of the loudness wars with an average DR of 6. No way something overly loud and overly compressed is going to sound good enough to be one of the best of all time.
Who are you to belittle someone's contribution to the thread and telling them not to bother posting? Have you actually listened to the album? I clearly see why someone would offer it up as an excellent recording... maybe it doesn't meet your own personal elitist standards but that is still a very nicely mastered album. Your opinions are fully respected and your posts are most welcome but definitely not in the manner that you are expressing them nor the unfriendly tone you are using with other members.

It doesn't cost a rusty nickle to be nice and respectful.

You definitely owe a very nice guy, who has been a helpful and valuable contributing member, a sincere apology.

Jun 15, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #405 of 464
Who are you to belittle someone's contribution to the thread and telling them not to bother posting? Have you actually listened to the album? I clearly see why someone would offer it up as an excellent recording... maybe it doesn't meet your own personal elitist standards but that is still a very nicely mastered album. Your opinions are fully respected and your posts are most welcome but definitely not in the manner that you are expressing them nor the unfriendly tone you are using with other members.

It doesn't cost a rusty nickle to be nice and respectful.

You definitely owe a very nice guy, who has been a helpful and valuable contributing member, a sincere apology.

The thread is about the best sounding albums. Albums that have been artificially made louder and compressed do not sound all that good. I'm sorry if anyone is offended. But when the recording doesn't sound good because it's loud and flat, it doesn't belong in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back