Best recorded albums of all time?
May 18, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #301 of 464
May 27, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #302 of 464
Steven Wilson's Aqualung remix on vinyl is by a very large margin the best I've ever heard the album sound, and I have a mint US first pressing and the DCC pressing by Steve Hoffman...

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #303 of 464
  Jazz at the Pawnshop

Artists: Arne Domnérus, Bengt Hallberg, Lars Erstrand, Georg Riedel, Egil Johansen

Just bought it in 24/192.  I cannot stop listening to it; especially the opening track, Limehouse Blues.  

Now, I'm a rock/pop/trance/dance/edm guy.  Rarely dipping his toes into classical and jazz.  And I never, imagined I'd be so nutz over a recording w/ sax, clarinet, piano, vibes, bass & drums..  But the music and moreso the recording is just. that. good. period.

Now someone tell me many other masterpieces like this in the world that I did not know about.  Please. 

I agree. that recording is phenomenal.  

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #306 of 464
Does the Muddy Waters - Folk Singer CD/16 bit FLAC have a slight hiss or should it be crystal clear?  I ripped this to an external drive years ago from CD (not sure what release) and listened to it last night from Foobar2k->iFi Micro. I would normally assume the hiss is just a part of a 60s blues recording, but given all the mentions of the album in this thread I'm wondering if it was a slightly bad rip, or if I didn't have the best CD release.  Other stuff I listened to last night was crystal clear so pretty sure the hiss was from the file.   And it otherwise sounded very good and the hiss was only noticeable in very quiet sections.

Quote:
  man.. off the top of my head going through my albums:  These just strike me as the best sounding in my collection.

muddy waters - folk singer
beck - sea change (mofi)
jim croce - his greatest recordings (dcc gold)
erkan ogur -dokunmak # bass heads check this out for use of bass in acoustic music
daft punk - random access memories (24/88 edition studio masters)
fleetwood mac - rumors (dutch white)
massive attack - mezzanine
my bloody valentine - loveless # analog tapes
neil young - after the gold rush
nirvana - unplugged
clapton - unplugged
pink floyd - wall (mofi)
radiohead - anything really
sigur ros - agaetis byrjun
steely dan - aja
beach boys - pet sounds
beatles - uhhh everything, but abbey road if I had to pick one
the ******* eagles man - hotel ******* california (dcc gold)
simon and garfunkle - bridge over troubled waters
charles mingus - ah um

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #307 of 464
Ziggy Stardust. No Gold or special version. My pedestrian pressing from 1990 sounds great.
And yes, has been mentioned, Fah'n, Fah'n, Fah'n, auf der Autobahn: Supercool! And of course excellent sound.

Jun 17, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #308 of 464
  Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

A modern electronic album which is brilliantly recorded. Engineered by Bob Ludwig I think this is a classic in the making.
"Daft Punk spent four years and over a million dollars on their quest to revisit the golden age of record production." -soundonsound.com

Well you can hear it!

I totally agree! This is one kicking album
L3000.gif

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #310 of 464
Jethro Tull Benefit 2013 Steven Wilson remix. Unbelievable how good it sounds compared to my 70's chrysalis

Funny, I listened to this today, great album!

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #311 of 464
Perhaps a lesser known record - Mark Hollis' self titled solo record released in 1998. 

2 mics. All instruments recorded separately in their positions around the room. Easily among the quietest recordings in print, in my experience.
An interesting and fantastic recording that includes some sublime moments.

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #312 of 464
@coastal1 As you mention, Folk Singer was recorded in the 60s onto tape and will therefore naturally have a little bit of tape hiss.  On my digital copy, ripped straight from CD, it is much less prominent than it is on some other records.  I can only hear it with the volume relatively loud on quieter, slower songs, e.g., My Captain.  It definitely isn't loud enough to distract from the otherwise fantastic recording.  I guess that means if you are getting some really obvious, distracting hiss, there's probably something wrong with your rip.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #313 of 464
Not an obvious choice by any stretch but the new August Burns Red Album 'Found In Far Away Places' is breathtaking. Their previous albums have sounded harsh and too clinical in terms of production to my ears but the new album is beyond stunning with just the right amount of warmth.

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #315 of 464
Wow! What a fabulous collection of music people are putting together here. Many fantastic albums already mentioned and I'm really new to the audiophile world but there are a few albums I just never go home without as I enjoy how they sound so much (and now even more with better accumulated gear).

Bon Iver - Bon Iver (absolute favorite. Just magic to listen to)

If you can stand listening to music in another language I highly recommend the Swedish indie group KENT and their albums "Isola" and "Du och jag döden" (especially the songs 747, Glider, Mannen med den vita hatten, Den döda vinkeln" and Palace and Main)

Icelandic folk music "Sigur Ros - Takk" is also marvelously beautiful to listen to.

The Knife - Silent shout

Alice in chains - MTV Unlugged

Nirvana - Nevermind

Dave Matthews Band - Under the table and dreaming

Dire Straits - Alchemy

Jeff Buckley - Grace

Pearl Jam - No Code

Radiohead - OK computer (wow, just wow)

And last but not least

Rage against the machine - self titled

Users who are viewing this thread

Back