Best RCA connectors / Best cables for audio cables DIY
Nov 18, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #16 of 31
DIY RCA interconnects?

High quality, inexpensive RCA connectors:

- Switchcraft 3502A (_not 3502_, 3502A - under $2.00 U.S.)

- Canare F-09 (under $4.00, but good looking and they come with a spring strain relief)

- Neutrik Rean NYS373 (under $2.00)

- I've never used Amphenols, but their reputation is good.

High quality, inexpensive, flexible interconnect cable that comes in colors:

- Canare L-4E6S (shielded 4 conductor star quad, currently $0.54 per foot at Markertek)

- Canare L-2T2S (shielded twisted pair, currently $0.55 per foot at Markertek)

You can put together a pair of 3 foot interconnects for about $15.00. You can buy comparable quality ready made cables for about the same, but making your own can be fun and satisfying.

As for speaker cables, I'm a 14 gauge zip cord guy.

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #17 of 31
DIY RCA interconnects?

High quality, inexpensive RCA connectors:

- Switchcraft 3502A (_not 3502_, 3502A - under $2.00 U.S.)

- Canare F-09 (under $4.00, but good looking and they come with a spring strain relief)

- Neutrik Rean NYS373 (under $2.00)

- I've never used Amphenols, but their reputation is good.

High quality, inexpensive, flexible interconnect cable that comes in colors:

- Canare L-4E6S (shielded 4 conductor star quad, currently $0.54 per foot at Markertek)

- Canare L-2T2S (shielded twisted pair, currently $0.55 per foot at Markertek)

You can put together a pair of 3 foot interconnects for about $15.00. You can buy comparable quality ready made cables for about the same, but making your own can be fun and satisfying.

As for speaker cables, I'm a 14 gauge zip cord guy.

oh good! :)
but did you name canare for the signal cable or power cable (to link speakers to amplifier)?

NOTE THAT I'll buy from Italy...maybe this could change something...or not? (I'm talking about easiness to find in europe these products...)

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #18 of 31
The Canare cables I mentioned are for RCA interconnects between source and amp input. RCA connector on both ends. You could use them for speaker cables, connecting amp output to your speakers, but I find 2 conductor zip cord, 14 gauge, maybe heavier, just fine for speaker cables, and cheaper. It's a subjective thing. Some people might disagree.

I don't know if Canare, Neutrik, or Switchcraft products are available in Italy.

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #19 of 31
The Canare cables I mentioned are for RCA interconnects between source and amp input. RCA connector on both ends. You could use them for speaker cables, connecting amp output to your speakers, but I find 2 conductor zip cord, 14 gauge, maybe heavier, just fine for speaker cables, and cheaper. It's a subjective thing. Some people might disagree.

I don't know if Canare, Neutrik, or Switchcraft products are available in Italy.

Don't mind about the easiness of finding them in Italy...It is a problem of mine... :wink:

Ok the cable you named are for RCA connectors at both ends but what about power cable like cable to link amplifier and loudspeaker?Have you got some preferences about this kind of cables? :)

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #20 of 31
Don't mind about the easiness of finding them in Italy...It is a problem of mine... :wink:

Ok the cable you named are for RCA connectors at both ends but what about power cable like cable to link amplifier and loudspeaker?Have you got some preferences about this kind of cables? :)

When you refer to "power cable" and I refer to "speaker cable" I think we are talking about the same thing: The wires that go from the speaker terminals on the back of your amp to the terminals on the back of your speakers. Right? I use plain old "zip cord", which is basically two conductor lamp cord. Some people use fancier and more expensive speaker cables. It's a personal preference.

The termination on each end of a speaker cable depends on the kind of speaker connectors on your amp and on your speakers. They could be banana plugs, spade lugs, or just bare wire. What are you using right now to connect your amp to your speakers?

Zip cord is this stuff: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tbFw5Aa1_nM/T8wdY5fn1vI/AAAAAAAAAH4/Ib_wa6CDblw/s1600/red+black+wire+roll.jpg

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #21 of 31

Don't mind about the easiness of finding them in Italy...It is a problem of mine...
wink.gif

Ok the cable you named are for RCA connectors at both ends but what about power cable like cable to link amplifier and loudspeaker?Have you got some preferences about this kind of cables?
smily_headphones1.gif

When you refer to "power cable" and I refer to "speaker cable" I think we are talking about the same thing: The wires that go from the speaker terminals on the back of your amp to the terminals on the back of your speakers. Right? I use plain old "zip cord", which is basically two conductor lamp cord. Some people use fancier and more expensive speaker cables. It's a personal preference.

The termination on each end of a speaker cable depends on the kind of speaker connectors on your amp and on your speakers. They could be banana plugs, spade lugs, or just bare wire. What are you using right now to connect your amp to your speakers?

Zip cord is this stuff: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tbFw5Aa1_nM/T8wdY5fn1vI/AAAAAAAAAH4/Ib_wa6CDblw/s1600/red+black+wire+roll.jpg

Oh yes! We are talking of the same thing. :)

The termination I'll use is...the raw one...XD no connectors or other stuff... :)

what section has to have the SPEAKER cable? XD

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #22 of 31
Regular nylon multifilament comes in various sizes and you just get what you need to hold all the conductors in.  Or you can go multicolor like I demonstrated.
Type III mil-spec Paracord is nylon as well but much prettier and more durable.  It less prone to fraying as well versus regular nylon multifilament.

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #23 of 31
  Regular nylon multifilament comes in various sizes and you just get what you need to hold all the conductors in.  Or you can go multicolor like I demonstrated.
Type III mil-spec Paracord is nylon as well but much prettier and more durable.  It less prone to fraying as well versus regular nylon multifilament.

This is a good reason to choose it instead of viablue sleeving fabric?

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #24 of 31
Oh, I just looked that up.  Protects against "incident light radiation".  I lol'd.  Anyway, "fabric and monofilaments", that's cotton + nylon monofilaments, I'm guessing.  You can use that as well if you want, it is seems to be quite stretchable.
You can even try shoe laces outright.  It will not look that different from regular nylon multifilament sleeving.

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #25 of 31
  Oh, I just looked that up.  Protects against "incident light radiation".  I lol'd.  Anyway, "fabric and monofilaments", that's cotton + nylon monofilaments, I'm guessing.  You can use that as well if you want, it is seems to be quite stretchable.
You can even try shoe laces outright.  It will not look that different from regular nylon multifilament sleeving.

paracord and shoe laces...The real DIY... XD

ok ok thank you very much.

The problem is that shoe laces are often full of foam... they are not empty as I need   :frowning2:

Aug 20, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #27 of 31
Looking for a better quality in line 1/4 in female jack to make a custom adapter from 1/4 in to 3.5 mm right angle from headphone to DAP. So far not much out there except the Neutrik????

Attachments

• IMG_1411.png
    IMG_1411.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 21, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #30 of 31
I've used both Rean and Neutrik, and don't hear any degradation to the sound (unless I otherwise screw it up, with a bad solder joint, etc.). I think the Rean is less expensive because of less robust build quality, but even those feel pretty solid to me so long as you're not too rough on your gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back