Best RCA connectors / Best cables for audio cables DIY
Nov 11, 2014 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

donaldduck2004

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm starting my climb on DIY mountain. I'm very noob about this and so I ask to people "greater than  me" about these two questions.

Which are the best connectors for RCA cables? I've heard about amphenol and neutrik?Aren't they?

Which are the best cables?I know about mogami for signal cable (RCA) but what about power cables (link the amplifier to the speaker)?

Thanks

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 31
What is your setup? Would not recommend spending a lot of money on cables. Ghent Audio makes some nice looking cables for cheap. I personally use XLR cables from Monoprice which do just fine. Basic speaker wire will do just fine as well. Neutrik I believe is for XLR. Spend the money on equipment first. Performance will come from the components. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 31
  What is your setup? Would not recommend spending a lot of money on cables. Ghent Audio makes some nice looking cables for cheap. I personally use XLR cables from Monoprice which do just fine. Basic speaker wire will do just fine as well. Neutrik I believe is for XLR. Spend the money on equipment first. Performance will come from the components. 

I'm going to buy a pair of tesi 260 (indiana line) and the amplifier is a TPA 3116...
source? stx 2

thanks

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 31
Get the shortest cables possible and get good quality but not overpriced ($10-20). That equipment is not super high end so it is not worth it to spend so much on cables. Get appropriate gauge wire and you will be set. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 31
  Get the shortest cables possible and get good quality but not overpriced ($10-20). That equipment is not super high end so it is not worth it to spend so much on cables. Get appropriate gauge wire and you will be set. 

I'm at the start... :) this system is linked to my pc...I don't use it for more...

I'd like to make them by myself...suggestions? :)

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 31
Make what by yourself? The speaker cable? Buy RCA cables and then buy speaker wire and cut it. I do not have much experience with speaker wire as my speakers are active. I would suggest using 12 gauge wire.  

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 31
  Make what by yourself? The speaker cable? Buy RCA cables and then buy speaker wire and cut it. I do not have much experience with speaker wire as my speakers are active. I would suggest using 12 gauge wire.  

I was looking for mogami cables or something like... :wink:

A good cable can make the difference,but by now it's only because I'm curious about DIY.

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 31
  I was looking for mogami cables or something like... :wink:

A good cable can make the difference,but by now it's only because I'm curious about DIY.

I recommend Amphenol RCAs, better than Neutriks and Switchcrafts in my experience.  They even come with strain-relief boots, too, saving you the trouble of adding heatshrink at the plugs' rears.
Use Mogami 2534 for the cables, you don't want to spend too much as bigterminator suggested.  Maybe when you have a far higher-end rig.  Keep your cables as short as you can reasonably get away with without putting tremendous strain on the cables.
If you don't need the outer jacket and shield on the Mogami cables, dress them with Type III paracord (abundant on eBay) of the color(s) that you wish.  They will look awesoem with them.
When choosing Amphenols, I recommend buying a pair of the left channel in whatever color you like (except red) and a red pair for the right channel.

For speaker wire, use 12awg, but I do not know what kind to recommend.

There's no fun in buying premade, duh.

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 31

I recommend Amphenol RCAs, better than Neutriks and Switchcrafts in my experience.  They even come with strain-relief boots, too, saving you the trouble of adding heatshrink at the plugs' rears.
Use Mogami 2534 for the cables, you don't want to spend too much as bigterminator suggested.  Maybe when you have a far higher-end rig.  Keep your cables as short as you can reasonably get away with without putting tremendous strain on the cables.
If you don't need the outer jacket and shield on the Mogami cables, dress them with Type III paracord (abundant on eBay) of the color(s) that you wish.  They will look awesoem with them.
When choosing Amphenols, I recommend buying a pair of the left channel in whatever color you like (except red) and a red pair for the right channel.

For speaker wire, use 12awg, but I do not know what kind to recommend.

wow what a specific description! :wink:
thanks!
but what diameter the paracord can get?I'm afraid it's full of something like shoe laces...

I don't understand what are you trying to say here:

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 31
  wow what a specific description! :wink:
thanks!
but what diameter the paracord can get?I'm afraid it's full of something like shoe laces...

I don't understand what are you trying to say here:

Amphneol RCAs come in different colors, get a pair for the left channel cable in whatever color you want and use a red pair for the right.  It is a recommendation, but you can otherwise use whatever colors you like.  Normally, right channel cables have red somewhere to you can tell which cable is is for what channel in a stereo set.  I think ti is a good convention to follow.  Even the internal wiring in headphones uses red for right, and other electronics as well.

Type III mil-spec paracord only comes in one diameter, ordinary multifilament nylon sleeving comes in many sizes.  2534 with its outer PVC jacket and shield removed (not the blue/clear insulation on the individual conductors!) is just small enough for Type III paracord.
Take a look at a few of my own cables:

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 31
  Type III mil-spec paracord only comes in one diameter, ordinary multifilament nylon sleeving comes in many sizes.  2534 with its outer PVC jacket and shield removed (not the blue/clear insulation on the individual conductors!) is just small enough for Type III paracord.
Take a look at a few of my own cables:

are everything made by yourself? XD
fantastic!
perfect for ipod and mp3 reader.isn't it?

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #12 of 31
Yes, I made them all.

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #13 of 31
  Yes, I made them all.

I read the price of this type of cord. it is enough for about a mogami 2534 but I think it could be useful only for this use...I'd like to sleeve cables with 4 or more conductors...Do you think it's enough the diameter?

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #14 of 31
Depends on the size of the conductors.  Or you can go multicolor with your cables as well.
Otherwise, you will have to go with regular multifilament nylon of the right size.

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #15 of 31
  Depends on the size of the conductors.  Or you can go multicolor with your cables as well.
Otherwise, you will have to go with regular multifilament nylon of the right size.

wait wait wait!

this is a very good idea! especially for cable jack-->2 x rca

but what you mean here?
 you will have to go with regular multifilament nylon of the right size.

why you named nylon? is the paracord made of nylon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back