Best Portable Under $100? Worth the bump to $200? Diminishing Returns?
Nov 9, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab has reviewed the BOX V2, not the BOX+. Also, I prefer the BOX V2 to a handful of amps which he ranked higher than it; and I have a Xenos 1HA-EPC and don't think there's that big of a gap between the two as you would expect judging from his ranking.

But don't forget we are talking about amps with the 580s! That changes things.

EDIT: It's not about which portable amps are decent; it's about the headphones and their requirements. Portable amps shouldn't be the first option for the 580/600/650 unless portablity is the priority.

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But don't forget we are talking about amps with the 580s! That changes things.

EDIT: It's not about which portable amps are decent, it's about the headphones and their requirements.

Surely! I wouldn't quite understand the dissonance, otherwise. As I said above, the BOX+ for one must go pretty well (not decent) with the Senns, since my V2 does with both of the Senns that I currently have. And my BOX V2 makes a great improvement over the headphone out of my Panasonic PCDP even with the HD485; this shows the potential of both the phones and the source, I think, as well as being a proof that the amp is good.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit to answer your edit- if that (or even a little more) is the OP's budget, then portable amps (the good ones) are fine, and even with the top Senns are perfectly acceptable for a reasonable listener, in my opinion.

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because we're questioning why the op would want a portable for the 580s, which do better with home amps, and since he/she hasn't yet responded, we're offering affordable options in both portable and home amps in case the op, as a new member, isn't yet aware that he/she might be able to do better than originally considered if portability isn't 100% necessary.

I gotcha Boom, I thought it unusual that someone would wear 580's for portable! I guess I just associate portable to IEM's
wink.gif
and as compact as you can get
biggrin.gif

THX Mulo, I stand corrected as I do remember Sky saying he only reviewed the Box V2 and not the new one. Maybe he would have come up with a different rating had he judged the new Box against the XO!

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THX Mulo, I stand corrected as I do remember Sky saying he only reviewed the Box V2 and not the new one. Maybe he would have come up with a different rating had he judged the new Box against the XO!

I think not... the XO is regarded as better than both BOXes. Unfortunately, either Skylab has an antipathy with the C&C rubbish, or more likely he's got the wrong phones to like them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #20 of 27
I'm thinking it's more like the headphones he tested with. The C&C stuff may not sound as good to him with the test phones he is using but I don't want to answer that question for him:wink:

He liked the XO but he has 10 units still in front of a C&C product! I personally think the C&C amps are very nice looking and who knows with the right pair of IEM's they might kick it:)

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit to answer your edit- if that (or even a little more) is the OP's budget, then portable amps (the good ones) are fine, and even with the top Senns are perfectly acceptable for a reasonable listener, in my opinion.

Point taken, but if portability isn't necessary, isn't it more reasonable to recommend saving a little bit to pick up a decent home amp for high impedence headphones, such as the Lunch Box, especially since the original post seemed to suggest $200 wouldn't be out of the question? If (s)he's looking for the best sq for the 580s, even if on a budget, why suggest options that are inferior, when so much better isn't out of reach?

Mulo, since your profile isn't filled out, I'm curious which Senns you have as you seem to have some experience with different portables.

Nov 10, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #22 of 27
Yes, could be, unless the OP needed it portable. Portable amps can be a 'state of mind' for someone... me, for example.
tongue.gif

I have had, among the current production Senns, the HD650, HD595 and HD485. I do have experience with different portables, but nothing more expensive than my Xenos 1HA-EPC (modified). Either by modifying them or not, I have had about all portable amps I've had sound good enough for the 650 and 595 (and some excellent to my ears, like the Xenos). Plus, small is nicer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #23 of 27
Ok -- to address some of your excellent questions....

I do understand that my 580s are power hungry and that is precisely why it only took me 2 weeks of ownership to be ready to jump on an amp. I think that my primary appeal of a portable for me is the flexibility- I love the option of not being locked down to a single listening location. (And yes I have no problems walking out in public with these head huggers- got some great looks
blink.gif
while travelling to DC last week.)

All that said, if a $150-$200 portable amp absolutely PALES in comparison to a comparably priced home amp I'd be willing to consider it. The real question is HOW much better in a similar priced home amp... If a Dark Voice or Little Dot $300 home amp is an 8 on a 10 scale- where would the portables rank? or a sub $200 home amp? I know it's hard but I'm just trying to quantify the amount of difference.

Can a good quality portable drive my 580s?

Nov 10, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #24 of 27
I'm not a fan of the Little Dot, though I haven't heard the latest one out. If you change out the stock tubes (don't even need to go expensive here), the Darkvoice 336i absolutely trounces any portable I've heard with the Senns, and I own and have heard some excellent portables. If you really want a portable amp on a budget, I still say go with the mini^3, and save up for a home solution later. There are other amps that you might want to explore that are only a little higher in price than the DV.

Nov 10, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #25 of 27
Boosteroo for sure!!!!!!

Kidding,Please dont throw rocks!!!

My guesses would be a Little Dot MK lll , or a HeadSix for great values.........but ive never heard them. I just wanna throw it out there so you can check it out.

Nov 10, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All that said, if a $150-$200 portable amp absolutely PALES in comparison to a comparably priced home amp I'd be willing to consider it. The real question is HOW much better in a similar priced home amp... If a Dark Voice or Little Dot $300 home amp is an 8 on a 10 scale- where would the portables rank? or a sub $200 home amp? I know it's hard but I'm just trying to quantify the amount of difference.

Can a good quality portable drive my 580s?

And that's my point: a $150 portable amp doesn't pale at all, compared to a similarly priced home amp. Many portables today have powerful (and refined) output devices, sometimes even more powerful than that of many "home" amps. To put it differently, the distinction between the two categories isn't so clear cut as you'd be led to think. I think that in absolute terms, at around or below $150, the Minibox-E and the Little Dot Mk I would probably be your best bet for powering your HD580 (mind you, I don't like tubes so I don't consider the Lunchbox). But remember that spending about $50 more you can have the Cute Beyond which is class-A (which not many home amps below $300 are).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back