Best Portable Under $100? Worth the bump to $200? Diminishing Returns?
Nov 9, 2007 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Amras

New Head-Fier
Ok- I know there are hundreds of posts like this and I've read most of them. But here's the golden audiophile question- Where is the point of diminishing returns...?

You guys steered me from a sr60 to a hd580 and it was the best purchase I've made in years- perfect for my bright-sensitive ears- just beautiful. Thanks for the help.
580smile.gif

So what I'm getting at is that of the sub $100 amps, which would mate best with the hd580?
Penguin Caffiene
Headstage(same, I know)
PA2V2
CC Box+
Ebay Cmoy- Juice or Seiber(?)

Then as a followup-Of the amps below is there an improvement that justifies the 2-3x price of the amps above? And again best combo with the 580...
Rockhopper
Little Dot MK I
HeadSix

I'm willing to take the plunge-$150-$200 would be the ultimate stretch. I just want to know if I'll see the significant jump I saw going from the sr60 to the hd580?

You guys simply ROCK at spending my money-

Thanks-
Russ

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 27
I suggest you add the Minibox-E to your list of possibilities for <$200.

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 27
I would suggest the C&C BOX+. My BOX V2 (previous version, but very similar) works great with my HD485 in my second setup, and when I tried it with the HD650 it was very good as well. A mention for the "Headstage Lyrix" bought on ebay, too.

If I could spend a little more, I'd go with the Little Dot Mk I or with the Minibox-E.

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 27
if you dont need portability, get a home based amp

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 27
Just curious why you're looking for a portable amp for the 580s as a home amp is really a better solution for the 580s Is it budget, in which case you might be better off saving for a couple months, or do you really need a portable solution? If the latter, I'd suggest the mini^3 (I have and like), but a home amp would be something to seriously consider down the line if you're looking to actually hear the sq the of top Senns, as opposed to just hearing them at a decent volume.

You don't need to worry about diminishing returns at this price point. That doesn't really enter in until your wallet has been screaming back at you for a lot longer.

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 27
I had a MiniBoxE on loan from another Headfi-er and it was absolutely terrific for the price; and was terrific in spite of the low price. Check it out by all means.

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where do you find a $100 home amp that sounds better than a $100 portable? Do there exist any at all?
confused.gif

You can't, at least not commercially available. That's why I suggested saving for one. If you're going to buy certain headphones, you also need to research what they need to sound good and budget for what they require in terms of sources and amplification. The Senns are simply one of those headphones. Other headphones aren't as needy.

There's nothing wrong with choosing a portable meantime solution, and I recommend the mini^3, but saving one's money to get a good entry-level home amp may be a better option for the op, depending on his or her wants.

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious why you're looking for a portable amp for the 580s as a home amp is really a better solution for the 580s Is it budget, in which case you might be better off saving for a couple months, or do you really need a portable solution? If the latter, I'd suggest the mini^3 (I have and like), but a home amp would be something to seriously consider down the line if you're looking to actually hear the sq the of top Senns, as opposed to just hearing them at a decent volume.

You don't need to worry about diminishing returns at this price point. That doesn't really enter in until your wallet has been screaming back at you for a lot longer.

I don't really think that the said portable amps would merely "let you hear them at a decent volume". That would rather be the direct headphone output of a portable CD player or something.

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why I suggesting saving for one. If you're going to buy certain headphones, you also need to research what they need to sound good and budget for what they require in terms of sources and amplification. The Senns are simply one of those headphones. Other headphones aren't as needy.

There's nothing wrong with choosing a portable meantime solution, and I recommend the mini^3, but saving one's money to get a good entry-level home amp may be a better option for the op, depending on his or her wants.

Now we agree.
smily_headphones1.gif
For a home amp, I'd personally take the Cute Beyond or the Encore.

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #13 of 27
From reviews I've seen a significant jump from the C&C Box+ at $109.00 to the C&C XO for $199.00:wink:

If memory serves me right I think Sky has the Box+ at about # 17 on his list and the XO at 11!

Now I'm pretty sure he also has some amps in his top 10 that are under 2 bills and rated higher (at least in Sky's review) than the # 11 C&C XO:wink:

I'm not sure where we jumped to home amps when the thread title states portable?

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure where we jumped to home amps when the thread title states portable?

Because we're questioning why the op would want a portable for the 580s, which do better with home amps, and since he/she hasn't yet responded, we're offering affordable options in both portable and home amps in case the op, as a new member, isn't yet aware that he/she might be able to do better than originally considered if portability isn't 100% necessary.

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From reviews I've seen a significant jump from the C&C Box+ at $109.00 to the C&C XO for $199.00:wink:

If memory serves me right I think Sky has the Box+ at about # 17 on his list and the XO at 11!

Now I'm pretty sure he also has some amps in his top 10 that are under 2 bills and rated higher (at least in Sky's review) than the # 11 C&C XO:wink:

Skylab has reviewed the BOX V2, not the BOX+. Also, I prefer the BOX V2 to a handful of amps which he ranked higher than it; and I have a Xenos 1HA-EPC and don't think there's that big of a gap between the two as you would expect judging from his ranking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back