Best portable radio?
Sep 6, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #46 of 76
...just get a Fixup.net modified SRF-S84? They sound great (though not as great on top as a modded M35), have the bass boost (but seriously do not need it...they are plenty bassy...with REAL bass, not "WHUMP WHUMP" cotton bass) and all of the other things you want. I was pulling in stations as far away as Orlando, which is like a two hour drive from me.

Come on: excellent sound, great bass, killer reception...it sounds like the perfect fit. The only thing you're losing is the digital tuning and station memory, but who cares when you can actually hear the stations you want to listen to?

- Sir Mister Matt

Sep 6, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #47 of 76
Sep 7, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #48 of 76
Hello,

I have two Sony Japan-market portable FM-Stereo/AM-Stereo radios both of which are still in production:

SRF-AX51V
SRF-AX15

Both sound good. The tuning is tricky on these because these radios are analog tuned and the FM scale covers the Japanese FM band and the Japanese TV channels 1-3. Luckily, that means that the radios cover the complete US band as well -- that is: 76Mhz to 108Mhz. The dial is cramped and tuning touchy but it all works OK. The AM coverage is to about 1620kHz. If one is knowledgable in tweaking RF tracking circuits the reception could be extended to 1700kHz with a slight sacrifice in dial accuracy at the upper end of the scale. I left mine alone.

The amazingly small SRF-AX51V has an unusual sub-mini 2.5mm stereo headphone jack. The supplied (yucky) earbuds have the 2.5mm plug. Otherwise, an adapter is needed. Radio Shack has them. It has a cute little case and an LED tuning indicator.
The SRF-AX51V also tunes Japan VHF TV 4-13 which means the USA weather band can be received.

The SRF-AX15 is larger, has an easier to read scale, takes standard 3.5mm stereo plugs, has a speaker, and has a real honest-to-goodness antenna. No case. LED tuning indicator.

Both perform OK and seem to have plenty of volume. AM Stereo is received quite well. FM suffers somewhat from overloading/images (as does every other Sony FM portable radio I ever used) but both do sound good with decent bass and a sparkling high end. Both radios are also quite low in the hiss department (big plus in my book).

Unless small size is of paramount imporance, the SRF-AX15 is cheaper and is a slightly better performer in my opinion.

Paul

Sep 7, 2003 at 8:17 AM Post #50 of 76
i don't get why anyone still wants to mess with an analog radio. it doesn't make the reception any better, and its a pain in the butt to change stations, and no presets obviously.

btw, for anyone interested, BestBuy.com has the iFP-380T on sale for $100 AR. Of the pocket radios I've tested, this one is definately the best. (same hardware as my 390-T except 128mb storage). No need for any aftermarket mods, either.

Sep 7, 2003 at 2:30 PM Post #51 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
the iFP-380T...Of the pocket radios I've tested, this one is definately the best...No need for any aftermarket mods, either.

For some reason, I highly doubt that the stock unit delivers the FM sonics of a Fixup radio. Yes, I know "don't be dissin' 'til you be listenin'", but come on...maybe I'm totally, utterly and irrevocably wrong, but anyone who's ever heard a Fixup radio knows the skepticism with which I approach a statement like that.

Not to piss on your parade or anything...

- Sir Mister Matt

Sep 8, 2003 at 4:13 PM Post #52 of 76
Sangean's aren't all that popular here, but I've had good luck with the Sangean dt-300. The sound is certainly decent, a little dark but that's often a good thing with FM. I find it very sensitive, but not very selective. It also has trouble with interference from computers and flourescent lights.

the 4 bands are actually surprisingly useful. The built-in speaker and alarm clock also come in very handly. I also found the company itself much better to deal with than Sony. I'd bought my original dt-300 through e-bay and there was a small problem with the earphone jack. Sangean simply sent me a new radio.
fwiw, when I'm walking or on my bicycle, digital tuning makes a huge difference and it does very well outdoors.
Unfortunatley, digital tuners just never sound quite as good as their analog counterparts. but a marginal station when you're moving from place to place drives me nuts anyway.

I also have a Sangean dt-110, the Discovery Store had a special at $20, that's a relatively disappointing performer compared to the 300. The circuitry is supposed to be identical, so I have a feeling that there can be good batches and not so good batches or the case shape figures in in some way. The reception simply isn't as good.

I also have a Tivoli Pal in the bedroom. Better reception and sound than the Sangean, much better selectivity. In fact, I can get KCSM 91.1 from 80 miles away and my local NPR station which is also 91.1 with both stations coming in surprisingly clearly. In mono-mode, the Sangean, though actually holds up pretty well to the Tivoli for sensitivity and sound quality.

Yesterday, I happened to dig out a Sony SRF 49, the first radio FIXUP recommended. It did not outperform the DT-300, though I should mention the SRF-49 sold for $15. I believe that the tuner chip in the 49 is the same as the one in the 84.

Sep 8, 2003 at 9:44 PM Post #53 of 76
That's a nice looking radio Boskeroo. Thanks for the info and review. BTW, Sangean make the best portable short wave listening (SWL) radio on the market according to some recent research I've done on the hobby, the
ATS-909. And from what I've heard, a five star rating from Radio Netherlands is nothing to shake a stick at.

B0000222MY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Sep 13, 2003 at 2:42 PM Post #54 of 76
Got my T615 the other day and I've been using it allot with the stock earbuds. Interestingly, the manual says the phone cord acts as an antenna and to stretch it out for improved reception. That's why I started using it instead of my ER-6. They sound fine anyway. I'm going to see how the MX400 sounds with it.

This radio is very small. The buttons are not hard to hit though but the beep with every button you hit is annoying, but you forget about it after a while. The hiss on FM is not bad at all on the stronger stations. I was actually using it at the Sumo match as they broadcast on an FM station and reception was fine indoors.

The digital tuning takes getting used to. I keep looking for a scan function but am left with the beeping and clicking the thumb wheel up or down the dial. Even though it may not be as acurate, I still long for an analog dial. There's only a few stations I've found here so far so the 7 memory buttons are sufficient for now. Those two that D555 mentioned still look interesting though.

f_sony_srft615.jpg

Sep 27, 2003 at 8:43 PM Post #56 of 76
I bought the SRF-M10 today
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 27, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #58 of 76
As far as vintage portable radios go, I recently won a few auctions on Ebay that I am anxiously waiting the arrival of:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=19636&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...egory=618&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3341897970

I'll post some impressions as soon as these arrive.

EDIT: Just scored the SRF-30W, which I belive was sony's first fm walkman.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=16702&rd=1

So I'll be comparing some of Sony's early great FM walkmans, the SRF-80W, SRF-80, SRF-40W, and the SRF-30W. The SRF-80W had an original price tag of 200.00, so Im expecting great things from this one.

If only they would get here.
confused.gif

Sep 28, 2003 at 3:00 AM Post #59 of 76
Hello Duncan,

I have the SRF-M10 as well. Finally received it from a UK retailer. I knew it was small but I really wasn't prepared for how small it truly is -- about the size of two gumstick rechargable batteries.
It is a pretty radio with chrome-like trim. The case is all plastic. Output is stated at 4mw. Has DX/Local switch. Has bass boost. Can access presets in two directions.

Generally I'm pleased with it and glad I bought it but it is not in the league of great portable radios.

Used EX71 earplugs. The supplied earbuds are mediocre (and that's being charitable).

RF reception is OK for strong, local signals. Overloading is present. Forget DX reception if you live in an urban area.

The reverse LCD display is nearly impossible to read in dim light.

On the other hand, the sound (without the bass boost) is fairly good. It is detailed and has only a small amount of hiss. Stereo separation is outstanding. Volume is digitally controlled and can play loudly with the EX71.

It has the "beep" but it isn't too loud, in my opinion.

For an ultra-mini system the D-EJ2000, MZ-N10, and SRF-M10 make for an attractive "high tech" choice. I have them all packed up in a nice carry case -- great for travelling.

Best regards,

Paul

Sep 30, 2003 at 7:19 AM Post #60 of 76
Paul...

To me, the EX71s are surprisingly good sounding with this radio - I haven't heard any of the 'greats' only owning the SRF-M48RDS, M95 and now the M10, but I can agree that signal lock is a little hit and miss (the M95 to me having the strongest lock)

But, yes - back to the 71s... to me, they sound very warm, and lush on this radio, with a very well controlled bass, and a restrained treble... a very enjoyable listen...

...Hopefully you agree that there is life in this combination - a kind of frankenstien life... something that just shouldn't be (especially how badly the EX71s are rated around here) - but, does work really well together
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back