Best portable radio?
Sep 30, 2003 at 2:18 PM Post #61 of 76
Hello Duncan,

Actually, I am quite pleased with the EX71 and use them a lot and find that they sound good in the D-EJ2000, MZ-N10, SRF-M10 as well as the D-555 and other classic units. I think there is reasonably good balanced sound with the EX71 -- there is certainly a lot worse out there.

Grundig (Eton) USA has issued a new AM/FM/SW radio the YB-550. Have not seen any reviews.

Best regards,

Paul

Oct 1, 2003 at 6:58 PM Post #63 of 76
I had a chance to compare the Tivoli and the Grundig S-350. The Grundig had much better FM reception, selectivity and sensitivity. I really like that radio for the money.

Oct 1, 2003 at 7:27 PM Post #64 of 76
Hello,

The Grundig S-350 is stereo through the line outputs only. That's a real shame. I hope Tecsun/Grundig rethink this radio a bit and add FM stereo through the headphone output.

Best regards,

Paul

Oct 1, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #65 of 76
I have been using a modded Sony SRF-S84 stereo/am radio with a supermini (both available from Dr. Xin Feng at Fixup) with a custom Zu mini-mini interconnect (6")all eld together with a couple of rubber bands and fit into a modded cellphone case (just don't try to answer it!!!).

The sound is absolutely amazing (I live in the LA area). Virtually no hiss (I would say almost all the time there is no hiss - depends on the reception), and a great big sound. I use px200 as portable, and Grado SR125 and Senn HD590 at home.

Radio nirvana????

Not cheap, but you'll never stop listening.

Oct 13, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #66 of 76
While waiting for a connection at LAX, I took out my SRF-T615 and put on my MX500s. Found a great classical station, 105.1, and found some great music playing (think it was Haydn). Decided to try out my ER-4S and they sounded awesome from this unamped, unmodded radio! Absolutely no discernible hiss from this strong station. Have not found any really good stations around here, so I'll probably stick with the Senns for back home.

Oct 13, 2003 at 6:23 AM Post #67 of 76
I swear by the sony sw100. Great alarm, world band radio, wonderful stereo fm on headphones. Built in speaker is tinny. I take this everywhere on trips. It can be carried with one (it works when folded up) but is a little thick (size of a deck of cards).

Oct 15, 2003 at 3:40 AM Post #68 of 76
I have had some time to compare the SRF-40W, SRF-30 and a not perfectly working SRF-80W. The SRF80w that I received has a faulty FM reception. At first I couldn't dial into any stations but after tinkering with it a bit I managed to get it to work although the mono/stereo switch doesn't allow listening to stereo, just mono am and mono fm. AM reception is incredible. I was able to dial into an AM station from another state, Roswell NM. This city is clear across Texas from where I live. Incredible. FM reception is not as good as the SRF40W and SRF30. Both of these older radios offer a DX/Local switch that allows getting a stronger signal from distant stations. The SRF80W is able to get the same stations without this switch although slightly weaker. Build quality is much better on the SRF80W which is slightly smaller than the other two which are practically identical. The only difference between the 40W and the 30 is that the 40W offers separate volume control for left and right sides. The SRF80W has a tuning dial that when pulled out allows fine tuning. Pushing it back in locks it into place. Also, the volume control allows separate movement for left and right sides. Also, the front cover comes off with a little effort to allow access to the interior electronics. I don't know if this is intentional to possibly allow fine tuning. I have two more of these units coming in soon (hopefully) which I will be able to compare to see if they all have this feature. The newest one of these that I just won on Ebay allows you to remove the player from a speaker base to use it as a walkman. Inserting it into the base turns it into a mini boombox. See the auction with a picture of this base here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=14980&rd=1

Here are a few comparison shots of the SRF80W, 40W.

CIMG0236.jpg

CIMG0237.jpg

CIMG0243.jpg

SRF-80W Open

CIMG0240.jpg

Oct 17, 2003 at 4:35 AM Post #70 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
That's a beautiful radio Pappucho. Love that analogue tuning mechanism. If you ever want to sell any of your SRF-80Ws let me know.

cool.gif

Thanks Fractus, I agree, the SRF-80W is one beautiful radio. It is in a higher league comsmetically, IMO, than any of the other sony walkman radios that I have seen. I will keep you in mind when I get around to selling one of these. Having three is overkill. I originally planned on only having two, but that last one on Ebay was too good a deal to pass up seeing it was pretty much complete. I'll post an updated impressions once I get a fully functional SRF-80. The one I currently have has faulty fm reception. I wonder how these compare with the newer digital models. Anyone here have any input on this? I was under the impression that these older radios provided better reception at the expense of less functions such as the lack of digital tuning and preset memory buttons. I don't mind giving these up to get better reception. Also, the amplifiers on these radios are POWERFULL. The loudest setting I have used on each one of these is between 2 and 3.

Oct 29, 2003 at 8:00 PM Post #71 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by D555
What was the first digitally tuned FM Walkman? My guess is that Sony would have put a lot of good circuitry into that first model to launch the brand.

I am wondering if this is Sony's first digital portable radio, the SRF-M40W. I know that some headfier's have this particular radio. How is the reception? Anyone know if this is Sony's first portable digitally tuned radio?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=19636&rd=1

Oct 30, 2003 at 12:13 AM Post #72 of 76
Hello Pappucho,

I have that radio (somewhere) and haven't used it in years. From what I can recall it wasn't too bad, a bit hissy. I haven't evaluated it like the others. The radio dates from 1989/1990.

Guess I need to find it....

Best regards,

Paul

Oct 30, 2003 at 12:38 AM Post #73 of 76
I just did a comparison between Sony ICF-SW7600GR and Sony M37 in terms of FM sound quality through the headphone out.

The M37 on FM actually doesn't sound that bad at all.

Or is this because I lack those golden ears again?
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 30, 2003 at 3:43 AM Post #74 of 76
Hello Musicfan and everyone,

The ICF-SW7600GR is actually a pretty fine sounding FM radio. My gripe with it concerns the FM RF qualities. In a rural area the radio probably works fantastically. In an urban area, the FM radio is easily overloaded by numerous local stations. It's a shame really, because the radio is well made, the AM section is superior, and the overall audio quality is excellent.

In the ongoing search for the "perfect" portable radio, I have purchased the new Sangean DT-210V. I'll post impressions and a circuit description soon.

Best regards,

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back