Best portable headphones for people who dislike IEMs?
Sep 27, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am quite surprised not a lot of people are mentioning Grado headphones. I used to recall lots of ppl recommending the SR line.

They are too bulky to be used portable in my opinion. Plus they are open. You can't use them in areas that have even a little background noise.

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #34 of 38
Got a pair of ESW9s coming, let's see how they fair. They'll be competing against a pair of mogami recabled KSC-75s. The better combination of portability + sonics will win - the worse one will end up with "FS:" written before their name. To make matters more complex, both will be analyzed under amped (mini3) and unamped (iphone 3g) conditions. Let's see what happens.

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got a pair of ESW9s coming, let's see how they fair. They'll be competing against a pair of mogami recabled KSC-75s. The better combination of portability + sonics will win - the worse one will end up with "FS:" written before their name. To make matters more complex, both will be analyzed under amped (mini3) and unamped (iphone 3g) conditions. Let's see what happens.

I am sure the ESW9 are much better than the KSC75, even if they've been recabled. By better I mean in terms of SQ.

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #36 of 38
Yeah I'm sure about the SQ being better on the ESW9 too. But they are probably not as portable as the KSC-75s, so let's see what trade-off ends up being more preferable.

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have this really nice Mini3 amp that I want to put to good use, but after my fourth attempt with IEMs, I'm finally convinced that they are not for me. I just don't like to fiddle with the fit, I don't like their small size and fragility either.

I know where to look at in the sub 50 USD category, but what if I want the best in portable headphones?

ATH-ES7 - ATH-ESW9 - ATH-ESW10? Where do the diminishing returns start?

Some other brand perhaps?

My reference sound is resolving, neutral and with realistic bass, and I like my headphones to have some hypnotic/engaging/euphonic characteristics. (Dead flat and boring is not my cup of tea, no matter how highly a studio technician would regard such sound.)

Thank you in advance for your advice.

EDIT: I'm not interested in IEMs and earbuds. I'm interested in portable headphones. Drivers that are at least an inch across. Clip-ons are interesting, if good enough, but mostly I'm interested in portable headphones that feature a headband.

I hated IEM's but have gotten use to them only with the Westone 3's because of how comfortable they are. I also have been on the look out for a portable outside of ear and can't pick one becuase there is just too many to pick from. Frustrating!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back