Best portable headphones for people who dislike IEMs?
Sep 25, 2009 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Comfy

1000+ Head-Fier
I have this really nice Mini3 amp that I want to put to good use, but after my fourth attempt with IEMs, I'm finally convinced that they are not for me. I just don't like to fiddle with the fit, I don't like their small size and fragility either.

I know where to look at in the sub 50 USD category, but what if I want the best in portable headphones?

ATH-ES7 - ATH-ESW9 - ATH-ESW10? Where do the diminishing returns start?

Some other brand perhaps?

My reference sound is resolving, neutral and with realistic bass, and I like my headphones to have some hypnotic/engaging/euphonic characteristics. (Dead flat and boring is not my cup of tea, no matter how highly a studio technician would regard such sound.)

Thank you in advance for your advice.

EDIT: I'm not interested in IEMs and earbuds. I'm interested in portable headphones. Drivers that are at least an inch across. Clip-ons are interesting, if good enough, but mostly I'm interested in portable headphones that feature a headband.

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 38
If you haven't tried Klipsch Image X10s yet, they might be worth a shot. Small and a bit fragile, but very easy to use and feel like there's nothing in my ear when I use them.

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 38
This thread is in the wrong place.

It is really hard on these forums to get people to talk about anything other than IEMs as you have noticed.

From reading the recent long post on Grado, it looks like some new models might be coming out there. They had a cheapo set at one time; I had them and they really stank. The SR60s are great but pretty big. Those AKGs look big to me.

So far its still the PX100...but I want some other options too.

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 38
I really liked my ESW9's, almost regret selling them. They are superior sound to all of the top teir IEM's I have tried, but they fall significantly short of customs.

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by originalsnuffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From reading the recent long post on Grado, it looks like some new models might be coming out there.

what post? what new models?

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 38
Audio-Technica CM700 are really great and really portable (earbuds).
However, both the cable and the jack plug are very cheap and of very low quality, so they may not last longer than a few months, and then you'll need to do a recabling.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 38
earbuds: Yuin PK(1, 2 or 3, depending on how much you're willing to spend - PK3's most likely, going on your post).

A comment on burn-in. I have the PK1's and it still sounded "meh" after 100 hours of burn-in. But they seem to have changed for the better in just the last few weeks, and I must have at least 500 hours clocked on them now.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by penartur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, i also have PK3, they was used for about 500 hours and the sound is complete crap compared to CM700 - even when using an ipod.

I can't really speak for the PK3's, since I've never owned them. But the PK1's, after the ridiculous burn-in time, really have a nice sound (using my tweaked S9 and my MiniBox E+ as a test).

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #13 of 38
From what i have heard i believe that PK1/OK1 is for those who wants a warm sound, and CM700 is for those who wants a clean and detailed sound. And, IMHO, PK3 compared to CM700 is just a piece of junk.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #14 of 38
Please, save the PK/OK talk for some of the 200.000 dedicated threads. This thread is supposed to be about portable headphones, not earbuds or IEMs.

huge-headphones.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back