Best portable headphones for people who dislike IEMs?
Sep 25, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please, save the PK/OK talk for some of the 200.000 dedicated threads. This thread is supposed to be about portable headphones, not earbuds or IEMs.

There are about 200,000 dedicated threads on on portable headphones, as well.

Sep 26, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #20 of 38
Well i can't judge from ur article if u're goona get headphone or earphone, i just know senns have good fidelity, but ATH or sony kinds always have bass effect added to the original sound, i hate it! i only like the pure sound!

Sep 26, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #21 of 38
Firstly, K181 is decent. But both Sennheiser HD25 and AT ESW9 slow it out of the water. You might be tempted by ESW10, but the pricetag might scare you, for marginal returns. Other live options are the German Maestro 8.35 and Shure SRH440/840, but there's not all that much information about these yet.

As for choosing between HD25 and ESW9? I prefer the ESW9 sound (plus it's fancy), but HD25 seals better.

Sep 26, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
u may considering sennheiser hd238 too

I tried those and returned them. They had a nice detailed sound, but their seemed to be a bit of a "veil" over the entire range. Also, they felt a bit chintzy...construction wise. I would have returned them even if they had sounded better due to the construction. Just my opinion.

Sep 26, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #23 of 38
Your best bet is to find a local music store that has a 'Pro-Sound' section & see if they will let you try some HPs w/ your player in the store! Guitar Centers, Sam Ash & other stores of this variety usually have a selection of Sennheiser, Beyerdynamics,Shure etc. due to the fact these companies also make high quality microphones. See, it really was'nt that hard to not mention IEMs or Earbuds as the OP had to suggest TWICE that he really was'nt interested in those. Silly me, I actually read the whole thread before I make a comment!

Sep 26, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somebody send this to the IEM forum.

No, "someone" doesn't need to do that because...the OP stated twice now that he is not interested in IEMs.

Sep 26, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by lamewing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, "someone" doesn't need to do that because...the OP stated twice now that he is not interested in IEMs.

Luckily there is no iem forum. There is, however, a "portable headphones, earphones and in-ear monitors" forum which is better suited for this thread. The OP asked about portable headphones, after all.

Sep 26, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #26 of 38
Ultrasone closed type headphones line are great for day to day use and there S-Logic sound is amazing which gives sense of larger surround soundstage with great bass extention and they are neutral, airy and very engaging.

Sep 26, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #27 of 38
i could only think of senn PX100. the SQ of koss KSC75 is very good but the thing is a clip on unless you mod it by using donor headband from cheapo headphone .
this one is a modded koss KSC75

ou8dpd.jpg

Sep 26, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #28 of 38
HD 25

Sep 26, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Firstly, K181 is decent. But both Sennheiser HD25 and AT ESW9 slow it out of the water.

I had all three at one time (plus ES7), and I still prefer the K181. The HD25 has an extremely narrow soundstage, for me it just removed all satisfaction from the music. The ESW9 was too laid back compared to the K181, rock and metal lacked energy and there was much less toe-tapping (and zero head-banging).

K181 does push the limits of portability (neck wearing is no problem, depending on the neck), the Beyer DT250 is a little lighter, all black, great sound (not as intimate as the K181), but lifeless without an amp.

EK

Sep 27, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #30 of 38
ATH-ESW10 is the best non in-ear portable headphone I've heard so far. It sounds excellent without an amp. The sound it provides is very well balanced with deep, tight and very detailed bass, sweet, detailed midrange and sweet, well extended, clear treble. The soundstage is not particularly big and imaging may not be ideal for listening to live recordings, but overall, it's the most well balanced portable headphone I've heard. German Maestro GMP 8.35 D is no good for portable use at all unless you recable it, because the stock coiled cable is very heavy and bulky and will cause the headphone to slide off your head every time you turn your head up or down or to the sides. Shure SRH840 is excellent for portable use IMO, if you don't mind its rather big size and weight. Its earpads are very comfy and it's got excellent isolation - much better than that of ESW10. The cable on the Shures also conducts surprisingly little microphonic noise. As for sound quality, the Shures are quite nice for their price offering a very well balanced sound. They don't sound quite as refined, controlled in the bass and open as ESW10 - they are more laid back and distant, and slightly closed in sounding as well. With weak portables and onboard soundcards, the Shures may sound rather dull, overly distant and uninvolving, but with good quality sources and portable amps, they sound quite lively IMO with my only complaint about them being that they still exhibit a bit of that closed can sound as though the sound is trapped around your head. But they do sound surprisingly open with certain recordings, so it also depends on the music you listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back