Best portable headphone amp-DAC
Sep 9, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #16 of 37
The Hugo 2, ignoring its size, is sonically the best of anything portable that I am aware of.

However, I would avoid the Sonorous X. For that amount of money, just about any other flagship (Utopia, LCD-4 etc.) would be a far better investment. Not to mention, if you're a fan of the company, wait for Final to come out with their planar headphones. The prototype I auditioned in April was vastly better than any of their dynamic headphones.

Hi Currawong, thanks for your input size of the Hugo 2 is no problem for me, it is still stransportable.
I watched your videos on the Hugo 2 nice reviews by the way.
I'm aware the Sonorous X is probably too expensive for closed back headphones, there are some very good offerings like the Utopia or the Hifiman HE-1000 V2.
I'm also very interested in the Kennerton Odin, are you familiar with this one ?
Thanks,

Thieliste

Sep 9, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #17 of 37
However, I would avoid the Sonorous X. For that amount of money, just about any other flagship (Utopia, LCD-4 etc.) would be a far better investment. Not to mention, if you're a fan of the company, wait for Final to come out with their planar headphones. The prototype I auditioned in April was vastly better than any of their dynamic headphones.

Hi Currawong,

owning 2 pairs of Sonorous X and the Utopia, I can fully agree with your reliable analysis and recommandations, Currawong.

Thieliste, it is good that you said you are in France, because the French review on the following site
e.g. that review of the Sonorous X, are highly biased re. the SQ of the Sonorous X and deceitfully avoid comparisons with much cheaper TOTL headphones:

http://www.hdfever.fr/2016/01/11/test-final-audio-design-sonorous-x/

I even wonder if these are paid reviews, as I know this exists,
because statements such as this are really extremely suspect :

"restitution des micros détails époustouflante" (= mind-blowing rendering of microdetails),
( http://www.hdfever.fr/2016/01/11/test-final-audio-design-sonorous-x/)

this rendering of details is actually absolutely not the case with my 2 pairs of Sonorous X, (and my experience matches that of other people comparing headphones)
and for less than a fourth of the price you can get a AKG K812 with much much more detail than the Sonorous X
or Elear or HD 800 with even more detail than the K812 (but with the drawback of having much less punch , slam and dynamics than the Sonorous and AKG) for a little more than a fourth of the price of the Sonorous X.

Not every site is to be trusted, especially if they fail at properly comparing products and at allowing diverging views.
(I find innerfidelity and head-fi good sites with comparisons, etc.)

bidn

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #18 of 37
Every time I tried them at the Tokyo shows, they were unbelievably bad. What I think happened is that the previous CEO, who passed away, had his own crazy ideas about good design and sound, but many of them weren't realistic. Now that he has passed on, the current CEO has decided to go down a more sensible path with new models.

Indeed when you know a model isn't good, you can then check who gave it glowing reviews and avoid them in the future.

Oct 1, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #19 of 37
I can't think of anything better than the Hugo 2 to build a top portable rig at the moment.
What do you guys think ?
I have an Astell & Kern SP-1000 and a pair of Focal Utopia headphones. This past Monday, I purchased a Hugo 2 and I have to say I'm not sure the Hugo 2 is better than the SP-1000 DAC, which to, has better audio resolution. I am even contemplating returning the Hugo 2 and getting instead a very good amp such as ALO Studio Six. Given that it's been only a week, I will wait to do more listening. Does anyone else think that the dual DAC in the SP-1000 is better than the Hugo 2?

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #20 of 37
I have an Astell & Kern SP-1000 and a pair of Focal Utopia headphones. This past Monday, I purchased a Hugo 2 and I have to say I'm not sure the Hugo 2 is better than the SP-1000 DAC, which to, has better audio resolution. I am even contemplating returning the Hugo 2 and getting instead a very good amp such as ALO Studio Six. Given that it's been only a week, I will wait to do more listening. Does anyone else think that the dual DAC in the SP-1000 is better than the Hugo 2?

The SP-1000 must be very good but very difficult to justify such a high price and also knowing Astell & Kern don't include streaming capabilities for Tidal and Qobuz.
The SP-1000 will retail in Europe for 4000 €, i think way overpriced.

Oct 2, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #21 of 37
The Hugo 2, ignoring its size, is sonically the best of anything portable that I am aware of.

I second this, I can't imagine anything portable sounding better than Hugo2. I have heard AK380 and it wasn't close IMO.

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #22 of 37
I second this, I can't imagine anything portable sounding better than Hugo2. I have heard AK380 and it wasn't close IMO.
Have you heard the dual DAC SP-1000? The jury is still out, but based on my initial assessment, it did not seem to me that the Hugo 2 was better. I spent four days listening to both DACs with my Focal Utopia, but it seemed that there were more details when the SP-1000 was directly driving the Utopia. I'm wondering if anyone has had the same experience.

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #24 of 37
I just picked up the ifi iDSD Black Label and I can't imagine anything beating it when you also take the price into account. You might think it is on the big side but the funny thing is that when it is attached to the back of my BB KeyOne, it makes typing feel so natural and balanced.

I have not heard my HD800, HE6 and ED8 sound as good as they sound out of the BL. I still have a few more to try and I can't wait to hear how they will sound.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #25 of 37
Have you heard the dual DAC SP-1000? The jury is still out, but based on my initial assessment, it did not seem to me that the Hugo 2 was better. I spent four days listening to both DACs with my Focal Utopia, but it seemed that there were more details when the SP-1000 was directly driving the Utopia. I'm wondering if anyone has had the same experience.

Several head-fiers reported comparisons, some find one of the two to be better re. few SQ aspects and the opposite for others aspects, but these head-fiers don't seem agree to agree on which aspects, but I think all would agree that the SP-1000 is to be chosen for mobile use (fits inside pocket), e.g.:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-tol-a-k-dap-the-ak-ultima-sp1000.850061/page-112#post-13745891

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-523#post-13706134

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-524#post-13706582

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-528#post-13712693

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #27 of 37
I haven't tried the Hugo 2 yet but just wondering those of you that are saying Hugo 2, have you tried the ifi Black label? And if you have, assuming only used for BOTH dac and amp, how does the H2 better the BL?

May 14, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #28 of 37
I just picked up the ifi iDSD Black Label and I can't imagine anything beating it when you also take the price into account.

If you add just a few accessories like the iFi iGalvanic3.0 and the iPurifier2 to the Black Label, I'd find it hard to believe a Hugo could best my stack (picutured). And it's HALF the cost of a Hugo. I agree with Rayzilla's quote above.

IMG_0096hf.jpg

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #29 of 37
I just picked up the ifi iDSD Black Label and I can't imagine anything beating it when you also take the price into account. You might think it is on the big side but the funny thing is that when it is attached to the back of my BB KeyOne, it makes typing feel so natural and balanced.

I have not heard my HD800, HE6 and ED8 sound as good as they sound out of the BL. I still have a few more to try and I can't wait to hear how they will sound.

How would the micro BL compare in length to an iPhone 7. Not the plus model.
I’ve been eyeing them for the CA Cascades but look like it would be longer in length and maybe even width.
Don’t need something super portable but comfortable enough to stack and hold in 1 hand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back