Best portable amp with Bass Boost?
Jan 12, 2008 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

MatthewK

100+ Head-Fier
What portable amps have a Bass Boost feature?

The only ones that I'm aware of are: 1) iBasso P2, 2) MiniBox-E+, 3) XM4/XM5.

Are there any others? Which one do you personally think is the best?

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 20
I'll add to that list

Headstage Lyrix Pro
PenguinAmp Caffeine Pro
JSeaber cmoy bass boost

I listed them in order of preference - the Caffeine is made by the same guy as the Lyrix and both are very good. I've done reviews of all three, easy to find with a search. I haven't tried the latest version of the JSeaber amp. (I also have the P2 and SuperMacro listed above that I've recently acquired).

The is also the Larocco PRII and Diablo with "bass contour" that I've never heard. And, the iBasso T2 that I haven't heard.

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 20
The XM4 bass boost is phenomenal.

Very natural and clean. Zero muddiness.

I find it essential when listening through HD595's ..

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll add to that list

Headstage Lyrix Pro
PenguinAmp Caffeine Pro
JSeaber cmoy bass boost

I listed them in order of preference - the Caffeine is made by the same guy as the Lyrix and both are very good. I've done reviews of all three, easy to find with a search. I haven't tried the latest version of the JSeaber amp. (I also have the P2 and SuperMacro listed above that I've recently acquired).

The is also the Larocco PRII and Diablo with "bass contour" that I've never heard. And, the iBasso T2 that I haven't heard.

The T2 is ok in the bass. What about the Lisa III.

Geez, do you have a long enough signature?? :^)

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #8 of 20
The Lisa III EXP with the bass contour hands down. The rest does not compare in sound.
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #10 of 20
Xin Supermacro

Jan 13, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 20
Lisa III and Larocco PRII in that order. I haven't heard the LISA, but I have a PRII and it sounds fantastic. I've been told the LISA is even better.

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #13 of 20
Well, everything else said ... I'm still a fan of the humble XM4's bass boost.

In fact, I just made a comparison set of MP3 tracks showing the effects of the XM4 bass boost vs. an unamplified track.

I simply recorded two sets of line in tracks from my portable ... one being a line-out from my XM4 (with bass boost enabled) and the other one being from the standard Zen Vision M headphone out.

It's sort of a processed mess, but the effects of the amp are still quite discernable:

[size=medium]XM4 Bass Boost Demo[/size]

wink.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #14 of 20
I like the XM4 due to the bass boost, also. The XM4 is a fair bargain, to me at least.

Just picked up a Lyrix PRO and it may beat the XM4, though (subjectively, anyway). The bass seems to extend a little lower and the crossfeed on the Lyrix doesn't reduce the volume as much as on the XM4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back