Best Portable Amp for Ultrasone HFI-780 + iPod Classic Combo
May 16, 2010 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

umlawgrad

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I know this has been discussed over and over, but it is just too overwhelming to review every post.  

What is the best sounding portable amp that will make the most difference in sound quality for my 780s?  I am not interested in a DAC -- just the best amp to augment the 780s qualities.  Price is not important, but sound quality is.  I will be running the amp out of the LO of the iPod using primarily 256 AAC. I also own a pair of AKG K702s, and would ideally like to purchase something that can drive them.  This is however secondary as I am looking for the best I can get out of the 780/iPod combo.  Source material is primarily classic and progressive rock, acoustic music, country, and a little of everything else.  For the record, I think the 780s sound great out directly out of the iPod's HP output.  I just want the extra bit of umph that I an sure I am missing.  

After some research, I am considering:

RSA:

Hornet
Mustang P-51 (As an added bonus I understand this can also drive the k702s?)

Nurfoce:

Icon Mobile -- nicely inexpensive, but for what I am looking for, do you get what you pay for?  

ALO:

Rx Prescription

IBasso:  Any reason to consider these?   

Little Dot

MK 1+ -- easy to purchase on e-bay.  Any good?

IQube:

VI -- Is this worth the price?  

Headamp:

AE-2
Pico

Is there any real difference between these two models for my purposes?  

I would appreciate any input.  I would like to purchase something shortly.  Again, I apologize if this has been discussed previously.  It seems more difficult to choose and amp than the cans themselves!  If I had to blindly make a purchase, I probably would purchase one of the RSA models.  However, I want to make sure, I am getting something that will synergize well with the 780s.

Thanks,
Chris

May 16, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 5
What does one have to do to have a question answered here?  Nobody uses these headphones with an amp they are happy with?  I am going to order something tomorrow.  I hope someone will assist me with a suggestion.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back