Best Portable Amp for Beyerdynamic DT990 600Ohms?
Jun 14, 2011 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MisterCoolGuy

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! I've had the Grado sr325i's for a while now, and I love them. Now, though, I want to get the Beyerdynamic DT990 600 Ohms because I enjoy their deep bass and good treble (at least to me - sharp treble doesn't bother me in the slightest) and I after researching, I found that generally speaking the 600 Ohm version was the best. I know, though, that, like any other high-quality headphone, they are very hard to drive. Does anyone suggest any portable amp/DAC for under $275 that can drive them well? I don't want a desktop amp so much because I will be going on a train daily and moving around with my Zune and laptop. I've heard that the Little Dot MKI, the iBasso D10, D4 with Topkit, and the PB1/PB2 (this one is expensive though and isn't a DAC) are pretty good. So, what do you think? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 7
Before someone suggests the popular Fiio E7 portable amp, don't bother. Even with the volume on the E7 maxed at 60, there isn't enough juice left to drive the 600 ohm Beyers to anything approaching loud. 
dt880smile.png

Been there, done that. Last week.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 7
The only portable amp that I've found that can reliably power the beyer 600s in any environment is the Decware ZenHead.
RSA Predator: only for low impedance headphones
iQube: may work in quiet environments only

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 7
You are on a train daily and want to use DT990 ? it's an open headphone.

You are going to disturb people :)

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 7

People won't like it when they can hear what you're enjoying.  For the train, I either use SE425 or the Senn PX100.  You may want to consider the Beyer 1350. I take the train too and this week, I have been using the D4.  It even drives the HD600 beautifully.  Hope this helps.

Quote:
You are on a train daily and want to use DT990 ? it's an open headphone.

You are going to disturb people :)

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Before someone suggests the popular Fiio E7 portable amp, don't bother. Even with the volume on the E7 maxed at 60, there isn't enough juice left to drive the 600 ohm Beyers to anything approaching loud. 
dt880smile.png

Been there, done that. Last week.

Speak for yourself!  I think it's just the case of your listening level being abnormally loud.  Both a regular iMac and an iPod can drive the 600ohm DT990 to acceptable levels, but driving a headphone isn't about listening volume only, it's about dynamics.  Probably the biggest difference you hear on the DT990 when driven off something portable/weak vs something that's meant to drive them is soundstage and bass impact.

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #7 of 7
Best two portable amps that can drive your Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm are RS SR-71b and iBasso PB2.

But you have to understand that you need to first upgrade your DT990 to balanced cables.

SR-71b SE output uses 2 channels, not enough to improve the bass quality.
Whereas the balanced output uses 4 channels that will do the job.

I personally have DT990 600ohm and didn't upgrade the cable since it's the mid range headphone and didn't want to spend money on it.

If your budget allows, get Ultrasone Ed8, me and my friend are going to purchase soon after hearing.

Good luck .  happy listening.... headfiers..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back