Best philips headphone?
Jul 2, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #17 of 33
@leoleo11
You have two problems, your budget is too limited (30$ ???  ), and your choices too.
If you can stretch your budget a bit, there's the Sonny MDR V6, that seems to  have some success here.

Quote:
I was also thinking about the Philips shl 8800 which in some places they sell cheaper than the Philips SBC HP460

I  suggest you look at the reviews at amazon.com. It seems that the reviews are better for the shl8800, but the SPC HP460 is more expensive at amazon.
Also the philips SHS5200 seems more popular at amazon, according to the much bigger number of reviews. Probably more for the design, than for  the sound.

I've seen also an "expert"  review for the Philips SHE9700 (IEM) , which was rated 4/5 at digitalversus.com

Jul 2, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #18 of 33
I wont buy it from Amazon, Ill buy it from the street. I have tried the sbchp460 (and liked them a lot) but i also read (like you) that the shl 8800 has better reviews althought reviews never compare these two. Should i go with what i know i like? or try the shl 8800 which has good reviews?

Jul 2, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #19 of 33
@leoleo11
Quote:
I wont buy it from Amazon,

I know, it's just for gathering reviews.

I  think the sbchp460 is more serious than the shl8800, the shl8000 allows you to print stickers and customize the look of your headphone.
Just because of this I  would choose the sbchp460 .

Otherwise, I  see that often people are complaining of the build quality of phillips, it breaks easily if you don't take care.
I  got an old phillips headphone sbc3394; it's broken into piece, and the earpads are utterly "decomposed".
In comparison, I  believe that my sony MDR-X100  (which is gathering dust) will resist better to the test of time.

If you are caring that much of Bass , I  would get an IEM, even if it's Phillips.  The bass of IEMs  can be awesome, with a proper seal.

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #20 of 33
Though philips makes some good products ,the headphone department is well nothing more than mediocre,ive seen ALOT of the plastic break on them,and the sony MDR V6 is more hufter proof.
are these 2 headphones the only 2 in your price range?

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #21 of 33
I dont know if theyre the only ones between my price range but i think those are the best full size headphones i can see in Bolivia (at that price). Besides... as i said earlier i can only find philips and sony, havent found the v6 yet here. I tried the sbchp460 and really liked them but you guys made me wonder about the construction of these headphones.

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #22 of 33
I'm going to guess there is different packaging for the Philips SBC HP460 headphones, which might change from year to year, so one package is from 2010 and the other from 2011, or they just might put "Super Bass" on one package to sell to younger teenagers and one marked "Hi-Fi" for the middle aged and older people.
Also Philips is on their 10 version of the SBC HP460 headphones, so there could be up to 10 different types for packaging for the same headphone.

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #24 of 33

Quote:
I also need to say that im only going to use the headphones with an mp3 player so the impedance has to be low, not like the sony v6 which was recommended before.

I can assure you the Sony V6 will work just fine on a portable device. Works just fine with plenty of volume unamped on my ipod nano.

Jul 3, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #25 of 33
I  forgot to say that the Sony MDR 7506  is same as MDR V6. I  doubt you can find them for less than 30$, it's more likely 60$ +.

Quote:
I also need to say that im only going to use the headphones with an mp3 player

IEM  seems to fit the best portable use. The advantage ( and also problem) is that it blocks efficiently the noise  outside. Don't cross a road with IEM on your ears.
Get that SHE9700 , you can find even recommendations for this one on this forum, and they seem on your budget. Few people are recommending  here the SHE9700.

Jul 3, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #26 of 33
I wish i could get those headphones here (the she9700), today i went to see headphones in a street that most people buy them. Headphones i found were AIWA, SONYA, SUNY and other generic stuff... I think ill just save some money for the sbc hp460 or... i could get one in ear headphone from Philips or Sony ( I noticed find Philips in Bolivia more than Sony) but they have to have really good bass, if possible like the SBC HP460 and something that wont break in a few months esaily. So... now im open to in ear monitor headphones.

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:
 Headphones i found were AIWA, SONYA, SUNY and other generic stuff.

Aiwa can be great ! Unfortunately the brand was bought by Sony, and then was out of production. If you could find stuff before the brand was bought by Sony (they changed the logo), this might be interesting. If you do a search here , you can see sometimes people being "pleasantly surprised" while trying old aiwa headphones.
Any koss ? creative labs ? soundmagic ?

Look at the thread Shootout: 84 Portable Headphones Reviewed. The brand aiwa, phillips, jvc are mentioned there.

Quote:
but they have to have really good bass,

I'm inclined to think that IEM will provide better bass than full size headphone, because of what I've experienced. Some people love the bass of the SHE9700 according to some reviews ,but you might look to higher models.

Important:  You have to learn how to put IEM on your ears, otherwise you won't take full advantage of the bass.
Here's a a video from etymotics, that provide explanations:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KwXEqe6Gq4

Also,  you have to take in account the overall Sound Quality of a headphone, not just bass. Off course if you listen a lot of techno or "drum & bass", you want good bass first.

Quote:
and something that wont break in a few months esaily

I think it's hard to have  both  Sound quality , and Build Quality , for only 30$.  Maybe with specific choices, I  saw for instance the KOSS UR55 recommendation in the "84 portable headphone reviewed" thread.

Jul 4, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #28 of 33
The problem is i cant find koss models here... I think ill just get some in ear headphones from Sony or Philips, is there any other good bass headphone besides the she9700?
The ones that i can remember that i can remember are
-the philips "music colors"
-Philips SHE9500/27

those are about it... but what about earbuds? I dont think they have as much bass as in ear  right? Please recommend another good model that i could find.

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #29 of 33
@leoleo111
If you are that  concerned by the sound quality/built quality, and cannot buy online from your country, I  would significantly raise the budget , and ask someone that travels (a friend, or family) to bring me back the headphone I  want. That's what I  do.

Quote:
-Philips SHE9500/27

According to amazon average consumers, the sound quality is good, but durability is bad. And also some issues for comfort.
According to some head-fi reviews they are above the stock earphone you find on ipod , but bad for "the standard" of demanding people there
biggrin.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/164048/philips-she9500-she9501-in-ear-headphone
"Muddy , single note bass". I  know some people enjoy this...
wink.gif

I  think you can't expect much miracles from your price and limited choices.  Just ask the help of someone that travel & raise the budget.
I would get for instance the "Audio-Technica ATH M50".

Quote:
but what about earbuds?

The only earbuds that are often recommended here are the ones from Yuin. I also love my AKG, but definitely not for their bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back