best pair of cans for the budget of $350 for a 17yr old
Oct 27, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #32 of 57
It's been stated before in this thread but let me spell it out for you. More Ohms = more power required to sound good and has higher potential than lower ohm versions. That being said, lower ohms are more easily powered which will be relevant to your traveling needs unless you feel like carrying a desktop amp in your backpack. It should also be pointed out that the differences in sound between low vs. high ohms are minimal; not something a 17 year old will notice... j/k.

If you're already set on Beyer's go with the DT 770's either 32 or 80 ohm. They will keep background noise out and music in. 80 ohm version has much more bass than the 32 where the 32 is more balanced; so pick according to your tastes. If you will not be getting a stay-at-home amp do not get the 600 ohm version. It would be like getting a really nice sports car, and filling it with regular gas instead of plus/premium.

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #34 of 57
This thread has been both entertaining and annoying all at the same time.

@hqmusik10 you really should take advantage of the search function here.  This type of question has been asked, answered, ignored, and read over and over.  That said, jumping right into an amp is not worthwhile.  There are several great headphones that do not require any amping to sound great.  Some like the HD800, K701, etc. (let's not even get into headphones like the SR007) to really shine, but you will probably want to look into a good closed, portable headphone.

There's the usual Audio Technica M50, Shure 440/840, and the new AIAIAI TMA-1 offerings.

Reasoning behind pointing to you to a closed and portable headphone:

1. No need to buy an amp (save money for another pair of headphones or parts for your future rig).
2. Lack of amp means you don't have to charge two things constantly if you're using a DAP (ex. iPod).  They're also cumbersome.
3. Isolation.  Good for you since you won't have to hear distractions and you won't have to share all your music with others.

If you can, you should try to go to a store that will let you audition headphones so you can hear them and consider what would be the best fit.  Though there are a lot of great headphones in the high price range, price does not necessarily equate to quality.  The headphones I mentioned are all cheaper but they're all better, imo, than the Beats.  This excludes the AIAIAI TMA-1.  I never heard it.  I'm just mentioning it since it's been brought up lately.  You should always let your ears be the guide when possible.

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #36 of 57
This thread was over back on the first page.

There has been some sound advice (no pun intended) in this thread and some other stuff.  There are plenty of answers to the OPs question of a Beats replacement. 

You do not need a portable amp for good sound for many/most of the headphones reecommended in this thread.  You do not need separate portable and home rigs (particularly on a $350 budget).

Keep the Beats if you like the Beats and if you don't, then there are lots of alternatives that will give you better sound or as good, for less, that do not need an amp (yes many/most will improve with an amp, but don't waste money on cheap portables that will simply give you volume you don't need, as opposed to improved sound quality).

ATH ES7, ESW9, WS70, M50, Sen PX360, HD25-II or SP, Beyerdynamic DT250, DT660, Shure SRH 440 SRH840, many/most of the Ultrasones, and based on this thread the Phiatons.  I would also add the AIAIAI TMA-1, however I can't really comment on it as I haven't heard it yet (it will be in my hands by the end of the week).

Most of these are cheaper than the Beats (dependant on where you live) and all of them arguably will have superior sound quality.  However sound flavour is subjective, so if you can audition before you buy......

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #38 of 57
Okay I don't know wat y'all problem is! Me and hqmusik just looking for some good headphones! Y y'all making fun of his topic and post. I looked online for help and a site told me to come here and people will help. I guess they were wrong!

Oct 27, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #39 of 57
hqmusic wrote:

..."what headphones do u have"...

_____
Well, anyone, who is howering (with mouse) over replyer name, can see an opening 'drop-box'...
under the 'View Profile' you can see information regarded to person, or just make double-click on name...

By the way, your own profile page is still little empty :wink:

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #41 of 57
In the nicest way possible, you came to head fi, a site filled with experts and some of the best experts have posted here for you, but you still aren't satisfied?  

What else can we suggest for you? You said you wanted audiophile equipment but without an amp?  Thats near impossible and the closest you can get has already been suggested to you.  The ATH esw9 or 10.  Here is a small list of the best other portables you can get for your budget that dont require amps, so long as you are using a good mp3 player that is powerful like the sansa fuze.

ATH-ews9
ATH-EWS10
Phiaton Ms400
Sennheiser HD25-ii
Grado 325i/MS2i or a used RS1
Beyer DT770/880/990 32ohm versions only

if you dont like any of the above, then you are out of luck and will need to buy an amp or look to iem earbuds.  Thats really the only advice we experts can give you. 

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #42 of 57

Quote:
In the nicest way possible, you came to head fi, a site filled with experts and some of the best experts have posted here for you, but you still aren't satisfied?  

What else can we suggest for you? You said you wanted audiophile equipment but without an amp?  Thats near impossible and the closest you can get has already been suggested to you.  The ATH esw9 or 10.  Here is a small list of the best other portables you can get for your budget that dont require amps, so long as you are using a good mp3 player that is powerful like the sansa fuze.

ATH-ews9
ATH-EWS10
Phiaton Ms400
Sennheiser HD25-ii

if you dont like any of the above, then you are out of luck and will need to buy an amp or look to iem earbuds.  Thats really the only advice we experts can give you. 

Win +1

Go with iems if I were you. For your price range anything from earsonics sm3 to ortofon eq7 will do.

Oct 27, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #43 of 57
Great advice and great suggestions. Now go and and get some... headphones that is.

Quote:

ATH-ews9
ATH-EWS10
Phiaton Ms400
Sennheiser HD25-ii

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #44 of 57
Hey, let's not actually contribute anything because the kid doesn't have a HM801, $200 interconnects and an RSA amp!

My advice: GET IN EAR PHONES and split your budget into 2.

RE-ZERO for on the go, and sennheiser hd555/558 for desktop. That uses up only half your budget so you can get something nice with it, instead of trying to get both into one portable comfy closed can and spending double the price because of that.

Do whatever you want with your spare money, but you do have the option of getting a portable amp.

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #45 of 57

Quote:
lol u might hate me but what are ohms and does higher ohms mean better quality or is it the other way around?

please someone explain.

i have FiiO E5 amplifer. will that suffice?

There is no (read 0) correlation between ohms and sound quality, although some swear the beyer dynamic 600 ohm variants sounds better.

The FiiO would not suffice as it does not provide the voltage swing a 600 ohm headphone would need.

You can definitely find a headphone that sounds good out of macbook and ipod, but you should consider isolation too. Regardless of how good the headphone is, if you are in a noisy environment, it won't sound so good.

Rap and hip hop tend to be very poorly recorded and produced, so you should look more for a headphone that will complement those genres well over actual sound quality. D2000 and Ultrasone Pro 750 would be a good place to look. The audio technica suggestions weren't bad either. of the 3 brands mentioned, Denon is probably the only one that would improve with an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back