best pair of cans for the budget of $350 for a 17yr old
Oct 26, 2010 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

hqmusik10

New Head-Fier
hey guys my name is sai and i am 17 years old. im looking for a pair of cans that range within the price range of $300-350.

im not an audiophile but i need headphones with maximum sound quality and extreme comfort. i am not willing to spend money on a tube amplifier and what not. all i need these headphones are for my macbook and my iphone and ipod. my main genres of music are rap, hiphop, rock and pop! i hope u guys can help me cause i dont know where to turn for help. amazon reviews rate bose as top headphones and monster beats by dre are very well rated too. but i want a good suggestion. it needs to be in the price range provided. thanks!

Oct 26, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 57
Bose and Monster are both terrible, overpriced products. DO NOT buy those. Amazon only say that because they know no better and they are the better sellers as they are marketed heavily. I'd take a look at the ATH-M50, Shure SRH440, ATH-ESW9 or some of the ultrasones. These are all below $300, but as you are not willing to use an amp, your options are a bit limited. By the sounds of it you want them for portable use, so they can't look too dorky, maybe you should look into some nice IEMs like the Ultimate Ears 10. Head on over to the portable headphone section and suss it out over there too.

Oct 26, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 57
If you're looking for good styling, the Phiaton headphones should do it for you. Check out the MS300 or the MS400.

If you don't need the best "style", the Sennheiser HD25-1 II are a really good choice for <$200, as well as the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 for ~$100. The HD25 isn't as comfortable, though.

Oct 26, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 57
Welcome to Head-Fi!

If you're considering going amped you have a lot of options. But for $350 portable and ampless I'd go with something like the Sennheiser HD25-1 II or Audio Technica ESW9a. Either that or you could go with some IEMs.

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 57
okay what amplifier shud i get though, im really new to this stuff and i just got the "monster beats by dr. dre pros". i dont know how to make the best of them! i just got them because i heard the sound quality is decent and for the stylish design. so can someone reccomend me a cheap amplifier so i can make the best out of these headphones. 

i also dont like these headphones very much!!! i will probably return them and go for another headphone. if i got for another headphone, can someone recommend me a good pair of comfortable headphones and a cheap decent amplifer. i am really a newbie and not an audiophile but i can catch on pretty quick once somebody teaches or explains to me! thanks

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 57

Quote:
okay what amplifier shud i get though, im really new to this stuff and i just got the "monster beats by dr. dre pros". i dont know how to make the best of them! i just got them because i heard the sound quality is decent and for the stylish design. so can someone reccomend me a cheap amplifier so i can make the best out of these headphones. 

i also dont like these headphones very much!!! i will probably return them and go for another headphone. if i got for another headphone, can someone recommend me a good pair of comfortable headphones and a cheap decent amplifer. i am really a newbie and not an audiophile but i can catch on pretty quick once somebody teaches or explains to me! thanks

Hmm.. so you come here for advice, we give you recommendations that are a lot better than the Beats, yet you buy them anyway. Why did you come here if you weren't going to take the advice we gave you? You say you can "catch on pretty quick once somebody teaches." I tried, yet you ignored it anyway. I'm glad I am not your ears and have to listen to those horrible headphones you purchased.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 57
lmao dude chill out!! i preordered these headphones 2 months ago on amazon at the price of $265 when its supposed to be originally $400. i thought that i can try these headphones out and if i dont like them sell them and make a profit. i still need ur help bro! i will return these headphones but i dont see nothing wrong with them. they sound decent to me. but if u provide me with a better option ill be more than glad to follow it!

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 57
Another tween gets bitten by the "I wanna look cool in front of other people who think Dres are the bestest headphone evar!1!" crowd.
Dude, return them, try out something like the M50, D2000, Ultrasones, XB700, or many others that ARE better and don't need a freaking battery..

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 57
I have a pair of Pioneer HDJ-2000 which are possibly the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. They are portable and durable and sound great without an amp.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 57
guys do u realize that i got the beats by dr dre before i made this post. thats y im saying i want a better option! im gonna return these headphones but before i do return them i have to decide on another pair of headphones. that's y i need yall help. i kno beats by dre suck and they are not the money they offer them for but can someone be nice enough to help me and make me understand? thanks 

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #12 of 57
It's not that they 'suck'. It's that they are overpriced for the sound they give you.

I have already suggested:

Audio Technica M50 - <$100
Sony XB700 - $80
Denon D2000 - $250

These three have that consumer friendly sound (bass and fun factor), with a more mid-fi sound. I'm gonna assume that you aren't into what the typical audiophiles are into, but want that bass thumping, prefering fun over reference.

Others can chime in with offerings from Shure and Ultrasone.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 57
Then:

DT880 600ohm - $250

Though you'll need an amp as well. You could go for the DT880 32ohm which sounds very much like the 600ohm version with a little less refinement, but easier to drive. A decent portable amp can power them nicely.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #15 of 57
lol u might hate me but what are ohms and does higher ohms mean better quality or is it the other way around?

please someone explain.

i have FiiO E5 amplifer. will that suffice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back