Best over the head phones from radioshack?
Aug 11, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #16 of 31

Quote:
Ok, this leaves you with a number of good options.  New, I'd say check out the following:

Denon D1001
Audio Technica A700
Equation RP-21 (not the best sound isolation, but great sounding phones)
Fischer FA-004

Used/in a slightly higher range:

Shure SRH840s (fantastic all around cans, great sound isolation, very neutral, good stage, pretty easy to drive)
Fischer FA-003 (my favorite closed cans...beautiful, open imaging, very neutral, and drivable out of an ipod).

+1 for the Audio Technica ATH-A700
I own them and they are very nice. I will go into detail if you are interested.

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #17 of 31

Quote:
Ok, this leaves you with a number of good options.  New, I'd say check out the following:

Denon D1001
Audio Technica A700
Equation RP-21 (not the best sound isolation, but great sounding phones)
Fischer FA-004

Used/in a slightly higher range:

Shure SRH840s (fantastic all around cans, great sound isolation, very neutral, good stage, pretty easy to drive)
Fischer FA-003 (my favorite closed cans...beautiful, open imaging, very neutral, and drivable out of an ipod).

Great, thanks. I see them all on amazon except for the fischers... and the FA 004s look like they might be my best bet since they're a good bit cheaper! I tried to get them through the Fishcer site but they were out of stock... any other sites you know of that might have  them?

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #18 of 31

try Newegg?

Quote:
Great, thanks. I see them all on amazon except for the fischers... and the FA 004s look like they might be my best bet since they're a good bit cheaper! I tried to get them through the Fishcer site but they were out of stock... any other sites you know of that might have  them?

Aug 11, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #21 of 31

Quote:
1. OK, so I listen to a few types of music... mostly classic rock, jazz, folk (guitar), some pop/rock here and there. No hip-hop or rap though.
2. I'm afraid I'm not big on IEM's, so I'm aiming for the full size kind. I'm considering the type that cup over the ears to get the better sound isolation, but I've heard they can get uncomfortable after extended use.
3. I figure I'd prefer a more detailed sound, but then again I'm still not that sure what the difference is so It's not that big of an issue for me.
. I'd still like to stick to the $50-100 range, but if it's really worth it I could go a bit higher.

No, I don't think I'll ever amp them; I'll just have them plugged straight into my iPod.

I'm not sure if it goes hand in hand with the full size type, but it'd be nice if I could get some that were durable... I'd like them to last me a while, even after spending most of their time crammed in my bag.

Thanks a lot for all the help by the way!

You do not want the JVC's for those kinds of music. Get the Auvio 33-279 "Concert Class" phones. They are far more evenhanded than the JVC's and just plain better phones overall.

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #25 of 31

Quote:
Yeah, if you wouldn't mind. They look pretty good.

Ok. I would have to say first that my favorite thing about them is the cord. It is cloth covered so that is the cord scrapes up against your desk etc. there is no noise transmitted through to your headphones. Another nice thing is the comfort. they are enormous headphones, but they are the most comfortable ones I've ever tried on. The mechanism that hold them on your head (they two wing-like things in the picture) is extremely comfortable. At first glance it doesn't really look like it would hold the headphones up very well, but when you put them on they are amazing. The neoprene-like pads on the "wings" and the pleather earcup pads are both very comfortable. I wore mine for
hours straight, Seattle to Pensacola, with no discomfort.

The sound is also great. The bass is not boomy, as it is more accurate. To some users that may mean it sounds like it has less bass because of that, but you can EQ it easily and it will not distort. The highs are sparkling and very clear, as it easily reveals any nuances/flaws in your music. The mids are also rather good. they might be a small bit (and I'm talking really tiny difference) recessed, but it does not detract from the sound quality.

I drive mine with a Fiio E7 headphone amp/USB DAC and I am very pleased with the results.

Aug 13, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #26 of 31

Sound great... only thing is would they still be good without a headphone amp-- I would have them plugged straight into my iPod.
Quote:

Ok. I would have to say first that my favorite thing about them is the cord. It is cloth covered so that is the cord scrapes up against your desk etc. there is no noise transmitted through to your headphones. Another nice thing is the comfort. they are enormous headphones, but they are the most comfortable ones I've ever tried on. The mechanism that hold them on your head (they two wing-like things in the picture) is extremely comfortable. At first glance it doesn't really look like it would hold the headphones up very well, but when you put them on they are amazing. The neoprene-like pads on the "wings" and the pleather earcup pads are both very comfortable. I wore mine for
hours straight, Seattle to Pensacola, with no discomfort.

The sound is also great. The bass is not boomy, as it is more accurate. To some users that may mean it sounds like it has less bass because of that, but you can EQ it easily and it will not distort. The highs are sparkling and very clear, as it easily reveals any nuances/flaws in your music. The mids are also rather good. they might be a small bit (and I'm talking really tiny difference) recessed, but it does not detract from the sound quality.

I drive mine with a Fiio E7 headphone amp/USB DAC and I am very pleased with the results.

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #27 of 31
Well, speaking of Radioshack, OurFPSHero has a pair of Realistic Pro 30's for sale in the FS forum for $45, which would be a good introduction to the ortho sound. I had a pair for sale myself, but ended up retracting them.

As for the Koss Portapros available from Radioshack's website, you wouldn't be going wrong with them. They are supraaural, meaning that they sit on top of your ear, and they don't give any isolation -- BUT -- they have a great sound. They're nicely detailed for their class, but still have a decent bass presence. The bass itself is a little bit of the one-note variety, but it isn't too bad.

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #29 of 31

Quote:
Sound great... only thing is would they still be good without a headphone amp-- I would have them plugged straight into my iPod.

They sound just fine straight out of my iPod, it has no trouble driving them at all. I have a 120GB iPod Classic from late 2008, btw it is one of the iPods known for actually using good components.

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #30 of 31
Alright folks,
In the end it came down to the Audio Technica A700s and the Equation RP-21s; I chose the RP-21s since they seem like they give a similar quality headphone for a tad bit cheaper.
Thanks for all the advice though, I would have been stuck overpaying for one of Radioshack's few options had it not been for you good people of Head-Fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back