Best Over the Ears for EDM mainly House and Trance?
Jan 23, 2013 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

falco635

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, this is my first post on Head-Fi. I'm looking for a good pair of headphones. I mainly listen to progressive house, electro house, and trance. Some ocassional Trap,
Dubstep, and other EDM styles.
I will be on a plane next month going to India that is 18 hours long (so a roundtrip of 36 hours). So, I need some comfort as well as performance. My spending point is 200 and under for headphones. I've been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohms, ATH-M50S, and ultrasone hfi-580. I've been also maybe thinking about IEMs and have only seen the Klispch Image X10s. I also might buy an amp like a E11 or E6 as I will be primarily using my iPhone 4. I'm leaving on Feb 7th, so I need to know soon. Thanks!

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:
Hey guys, this is my first post on Head-Fi. I'm looking for a good pair of headphones. I mainly listen to progressive house, electro house, and trance. Some ocassional Trap,
Dubstep, and other EDM styles.
I will be on a plane next month going to India that is 18 hours long (so a roundtrip of 36 hours). So, I need some comfort as well as performance. My spending point is 200 and under for headphones. I've been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohms, ATH-M50S, and ultrasone hfi-580. I've been also maybe thinking about IEMs and have only seen the Klispch Image X10s. I also might buy an amp like a E11 or E6 as I will be primarily using my iPhone 4. I'm leaving on Feb 7th, so I need to know soon. Thanks!

Heya,

Beyer DT770 Pro
Beyer Custom One Pro
Ultrasone HFI 580
AudioTechnica A900X

With the Fiio E11.

Just note, no headphone will isolate from the plane. The sub-bass frequencies of the wind/engine will go through any isolation setup. You can isolate from people talking and other noise, but sub-bass will go right through anything. So just know that. Because of that, bassy music on a plane doesn't sound very bassy, your headphones no matter what they are, will sound thinner, because the sub-bass of the plane/wind will over-power most of what your headphones are doing. I know this from lots of experience flying with headphones and have all the above ones and have used them in this setting. I preferred the DT770 out of the lot the most for isolation/quality while on the go.

You could go with IEM's, the Shure SE215's would be great for your needs. But even they will not isolate utterly from the sub-bass of the plane/wind.

Very best,

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
I found a pair of Beyer Custom Ones and Beyer DT770 pro for 180 each. Which is better?

They're different headphones.

The DT770 is bright (more treble), better mids.

The COP is dark (less treble), less mids, and lots of bass.

The COP is good for someone wanting a headphone that is bassy, dark, and forgiving of low quality recordings. The DT770 would be for someone that wants a brighter more energetic sound with more realistic vocals/instruments and less forgiving of poor recordings.

Very best,

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #12 of 21
The ultrasones are MADE for edm. I amxalso trying to find a good pair under 160 for edm and dubstep. I am 12 and never had a quaility headphones so.... any recomendations?

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #14 of 21
I think you should get the DT770 because those are pumpin pumpin bass into your ears without loosing clarity. How do I know all of this well.... because I am a young audiophile who loves edm and dubstep

Users who are viewing this thread

Back