Best over ear headphones for under 600$
Jul 24, 2014 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

GuitarzMyThing

New Head-Fier
Hey!

I need a new set of headphones that sound amazing. Currently I am using some old discontinued Sony MDR-V 700's. Amazing sound to these things but sadly about a year ago when I had them hung up on the desk they dropped to the floor and the left earphone plastic piece keeping them tight broke. So now when I wear them I have to put a piece of duct tape around it to keep it even around my ear. They still work and I didn't want to see them go. I'm trying to blast the hell out of them so I at least have a reason to get rid of their amazing sound but it's getting a little stupid now, the coily wire of death is starting to break as the bare wires are showing and they are just starting to get straight up over used. 

Anyhow, I only use these headphones for my computer desk listening to music and such late at night so they don't have to be portable by any means. I dont care if the headphones are the size of head I just want the sound quality to be amazing. The bass should be tight and low in them too. I try not to cheap out on headphones and since you can get a decent pair today for 100$ I think spending up to around 600$ is a little overkill already. I have a top of the line sound card in my computer so that its not completely stupid to spend a ton of money.

I mostly listen to rock but I like to blast some bass heavy R&B or pop once and a while. I currently went to an audio store a few weeks ago and listen to a few of their high end headphones. The two that stuck out for me were the Bowers & Wilkins P7's and the Bose QuietComfort 15's. Overall I liked the Bose better and I really liked the noise reduction they applied.

So yeah. if you guys have any questions, just ask as I don't really know how to describe my perfect set of headphones.

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 6
One more thing. I absolutely hate the remote on the headphones these days. They always seem to break and then the sound doesn't go through the ear piece... So I am a no go for something like that.

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 6
You should like the Sennheiser HD 650 ($400, leaving you money for an amp and/or DAC if you need them), or maybe wait for the upcoming HiFiMan HE-400i ($500).  A good amp and is generally a must for headphones in this price range.  What's your source?  I'm guessing it's a computer.

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 6
Which soundcard specifically? Any preference on design? closed, open...

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 6
HE-500 are on close out sale.

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 6
My sound source is a computer yes, but I may use them on a Yamaha amp later on.

The sound card in my computer is the ASUS Xonar Essence STX. Probably the best soundcard money can buy for a desktop computer right now.

I've never heard of HiFiman before. So I will research the HE-500. I've heard good things about the Sennheiser HD-650's. I am still not sure if I want open or closed back. The Sony V-700 I have are closed back and I have never had a problem with them but one of my favorite genres of music is anthem rock. Big fan of that big 80's sound and I've heard open back really does enhance that. But one of the draw backs is sometimes other people are in the room...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back