Best over-ear headphone under 200$ for music & movies
Jan 22, 2013 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

K4Sait

New Head-Fier
Hi

I want to buy a new headphone to use it almost for everything (Music, Movies, Web Series...)

And i found the SoundMagic hp100 and i think that i'll get it.

What do think is best for me since my budget is 200$ and i need somthing really comfortable and I can use it whitout the need of amp

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 24
Beyer DT770.

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 24
I think you should go with your initial choice.  I have the Soundmagic HP100 and it is one of the best closed headphones I have ever heard.  For around $200, I personally believe it should be a top choice.  

They have a very clear and clean sound with fantastic bass. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #6 of 24
I think you should go with your initial choice.  I have the Soundmagic HP100 and it is one of the best closed headphones I have ever heard.  For around $200, I personally believe it should be a top choice.  

They have a very clear and clean sound with fantastic bass. 

I'm actually leaning towards the SoundMagic hp100

Some guys recommended Sony MDR MA900

But i prefer closed headphones

Is there any down sides in the soundmagic hp100 ?

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:
I'm actually leaning towards the SoundMagic hp100

Some guys recommended Sony MDR MA900

But i prefer closed headphones

Is there any down sides in the soundmagic hp100 ?

To me, there aren't really any downsides to the HP100.  I suppose that if one prefers velour pads, then the leather pads on the HP100 would be a negative.  Also, I wouldn't call the HP100s warm.  They are very clear and detailed and the bass is very tight but extends deep.  It has fantastic sub bass.  If one prefers a more bassy, warm signature the HP100s most likely won't fit that bill.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:
Hi

I want to buy a new headphone to use it almost for everything (Music, Movies, Web Series...)

And i found the SoundMagic hp100 and i think that i'll get it.

What do think is best for me since my budget is 200$ and i need somthing really comfortable and I can use it whitout the need of amp

Heya,

If you prefer closed back headphones, then I suggest you only look at closed back headphones.

Some suggestions:

Neutral/Warm headphones:

Brainwavz HM5
Ultrasone PRO 750
AKG K271 MKII
Shure SRH840 (+SRH940 velour pads)
AudioTechnica A700X

Warm/Bassy headphones:

Beyer DT770 PRO
AKG K167
AudioTechnica A900X
Ultrasone HFI 580 or DJ1

Out of them, I would primarily focus on the Beyer DT770, HM5, PRO750 and A900X.

Very best,

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #10 of 24
Heya,

If you prefer closed back headphones, then I suggest you only look at closed back headphones.

Some suggestions:

Neutral/Warm headphones:

Brainwavz HM5
Ultrasone PRO 750
AKG K271 MKII
Shure SRH840 (+SRH940 velour pads)
AudioTechnica A700X

Warm/Bassy headphones:

Beyer DT770 PRO
AKG K167
AudioTechnica A900X
Ultrasone HFI 580 or DJ1

Out of them, I would primarily focus on the Beyer DT770, HM5, PRO750 and A900X.

Very best,

The following is exactly what i need

Over-Ear closed headphone around 200$ budget

Use: Movies, Music (i need somthing that is good with every genre although i listen to POP most of the time)
Used in: (mostly in-door use) iPhone/iPad, iMac
Comfort: EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE and can be used for long hours

I prefer not to use an amp

And about if i want it bassy or natural i actually don't know :) because this headphone will be my first headphone but i don't think that i'd like an over bassy sound. But what do you guys think ?

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:
The following is exactly what i need

Over-Ear closed headphone around 200$ budget

Use: Movies, Music (i need somthing that is good with every genre although i listen to POP most of the time)
Used in: (mostly in-door use) iPhone/iPad, iMac
Comfort: EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE and can be used for long hours

I prefer not to use an amp

And about if i want it bassy or natural i actually don't know
smily_headphones1.gif
because this headphone will be my first headphone but i don't think that i'd like an over bassy sound. But what do you guys think ?

Beyer DT770 PRO/SE 32ohm.

Very best,

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

To me, there aren't really any downsides to the HP100.  I suppose that if one prefers velour pads, then the leather pads on the HP100 would be a negative.  Also, I wouldn't call the HP100s warm.  They are very clear and detailed and the bass is very tight but extends deep.  It has fantastic sub bass.  If one prefers a more bassy, warm signature the HP100s most likely won't fit that bill.

the way you describe it, it sounds like a k701. is that the case?

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #13 of 24
I don't have a K701 to compare it to, but I can say the HP100 is not as warm as my A900X.  However, I prefer the sound signature of the HP100 over the A900X as I prefer a more detailed sound with tight, deep bass.

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #14 of 24
Beyer DT770 PRO/SE 32ohm.

Very best,

Is it much better than the Brainwavs HM5 ?

Because i found the HM5 at a local store with 125$ price tag

And i have not found the Beyer DT770 (out of stock it may take 6 weeks to be available) although i can order it online with 250$ excluding international shipping

So it's more than double the price

Is it worth it and what make it special ?

I don't mind paying double the price if it was much better because i won't buy any other headphone for the next years

I found the DT 860 (185$) & DT 990 (260$) ON SALE !

So what is best for me if i won't use an amp

DT770 (250$ ex Int'l shipping) VS DT860 (185$) VS DT990 (260$) VS HM5 (125$)

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:
Is it much better than the Brainwavs HM5 ?

Because i found the HM5 at a local store with 125$ price tag

And i have not found the Beyer DT770 (out of stock it may take 6 weeks to be available. 860 (185$) & 990 (260$) are available) although i can order it online with 250$ excluding international shipping

So it's more than double the price

Is it worth it and what make it special ?

I don't mind paying double the price if it was much better because i won't buy any other headphone for the next years

P.S. I won't use an amp !

Heya,

The HM5 is a great headphone. It has thick soft pads, isolates very well, has dual entry detachable cables, and the build quality in general is good, it's a durable tank of a headphone, very big and bulky. At first the clamp pressure of the headband can be pretty tight, but you can loosen it by stretching it over something over-night for a few nights and it will loosen up very nicely. The sound is a warmer neutral. It can perform plenty well with bassy music, but it doesn't make non-bassy music into bassy music, so it's capable but not over the top. The bass is tight and punchy with good extension. The mids are great, not too distant, not all up in your face either, vocals and instruments sound like they should and it's not an overly recessed range. The treble is not too bright, but it's not dull. Good detail. Overall a great headphone for it's cost.

The DT770 is a little more fun to me, it has a little more mid-bass, better sub-bass, great mids, and the treble is a little more exciting (it's brighter). It's also built well, and comfortable, but doesn't have a detachable cable.

If you want something a little more closer to neutral the HM5 would be the one to go with. It really is a steller headphone for it's cost as a total package. The DT770 would be the one to go for if you wanted a little more bassy warmth and some more sparkle in the treble.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back