Best Orthodynamic for Gaming/Music under $1000
Jul 12, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #16 of 35
Spent some hours with he-560. It's superb

I bet. The only thing that I know would bother me is the bass quantity. The Asgard 2 will power the 400i better than the 560 as well (4DB difference).
As far as both of them go though, the biggest difference is in the depth of the soundstage. The rest aren't that significant, so my money is better spent on the 400i.

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #17 of 35
I think you are very fast to jump to a conclusion unless you know something I don't or have tried the said headphones.

Besides, 3dB of EQ in the bass and I bet the 560 will have more perceived bass than most planars.

Good luck anyway

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #18 of 35
I think you are very fast to jump to a conclusion unless you know something I don't or have tried the said headphones.

Besides, 3dB of EQ in the bass and I bet the 560 will have more perceived bass than most planars.

Good luck anyway

Not really. I've read just about everything there is to read about both of them.

Yeah, maybe so, but I'm a bit of a purist :p Don't like to EQ.

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #19 of 35
Whatever floats your boat, dude.

But nothing is better than first hand experience, period.

Properly applied EQ isn't detrimental to the signal by the way. You don't want to know what they do in studios if you are that much of a purist :wink:

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #20 of 35
Whatever floats your boat, dude.

But nothing is better than first hand experience, period.

Properly applied EQ isn't detrimental to the signal by the way. You don't want to know what they do in studios if you are that much of a purist
wink.gif

Well yeah.
I find that it can distort the sound though. Bah, I'm not worried about what they do in the studio. I don't have the kind of equipment they do.

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #21 of 35

Well yeah.
I find that it can distort the sound though. Bah, I'm not worried about what they do in the studio. I don't have the kind of equipment they do.

Digital EQ won't introduce any distortion to the signal, but if you EQ too much (like leave bass at 0dB and everything else at -30dB) then harmonic bass distortions in headphones could become audible (if they reach the level of other frequencies).

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #22 of 35
  Digital EQ won't introduce any distortion to the signal, but if you EQ too much (like leave bass at 0dB and everything else at -30dB) then harmonic bass distortions in headphones could become audible (if they reach the level of other frequencies).

I EQ more bass on the HE-400 once and heard some pretty great distortion, lol from my H/K AVR 254.

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #25 of 35
  Did you EQ bass above 0 level? The proper way of EQ'ing is to reduce other frequencies. I recommend good EQ software like Shibatch SuperEQ.

Yup. So EQ'ing bass in on the 560 is not exactly a good idea, but I guess reducing on the others is.

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #27 of 35
  Not sure what you mean, I just did this EQ in WinAMP (+6dB to bass) with my HE-560 and I don't hear any distortions (only warmer sound):

Nice.

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #28 of 35
I think you got it wrong with EQ. One should NEVER EQ up unless one has lowered the digital pre-amp. That will introduce digital clipping. Likely what you heard when you tried.
The highest EQ slider should be as high as the pre-amp is low so to speak. For example 10 dB bass boost equals -10 dB or more on the pre-amp slider.

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #29 of 35
I think you got it wrong with EQ. One should NEVER EQ up unless one has lowered the digital pre-amp. That will introduce digital clipping. Likely what you heard when you tried.
The highest EQ slider should be as high as the pre-amp is low so to speak. For example 10 dB bass boost equals -10 dB or more on the pre-amp slider.

Lowered the digital pre-amp? Huh? I don't even know what that means. So, erm, if I hear that clipping on the headphones did I damage something? I don't have a pre-amp? I just have an amp which is then connected to the headphone port on my receiver which I use as a DAC. Maybe it's double amping?

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #30 of 35

Lowered the digital pre-amp? Huh? I don't even know what that means. So, erm, if I hear that clipping on the headphones did I damage something? I don't have a pre-amp? I just have an amp which is then connected to the headphone port on my receiver which I use as a DAC. Maybe it's double amping?

That is double amping, yes. Not good, should be connected to a line-out. Was it the Asgard 2 amp?

Just to clear something I am talking about EQ on the computer (digital software EQ). Any not piss-poor EQ on the pc has a pre-amp slider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back