Best open air headphones for Acoustic Music
Feb 8, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #16 of 21
If there's one thing that the srh940 does well , it's  acoustic.
But I  guess the k701 too, as they sound similar according to many reviews (except the soundstage).
So I'd take k701 if you want open, and srh940 if you want closed and portable.
The sr940 are easy to drive unlike the k701.

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #18 of 21
Thanks for all the replies guys.  I do have a couple of headphone amps.  Nothing special but decent.  I'm leaning towards a AKG as I have never heard these.  I've had in the past Grado, Sennheiser, Beyer and Stax.  I loved the Stax but can't afford a setup right now. They used to come by used quite often a few years ago but I never see them much anymore.  At least not at a reasonable price.

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #19 of 21

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies guys.  I do have a couple of headphone amps.  Nothing special but decent.  I'm leaning towards a AKG as I have never heard these.  I've had in the past Grado, Sennheiser, Beyer and Stax.  I loved the Stax but can't afford a setup right now. They used to come by used quite often a few years ago but I never see them much anymore.  At least not at a reasonable price.

For around $300 maybe you can get the 701/2/Q and the SA3000 used, you can try them with your amps, and see from there... I'm sure you're going to get a lot of excitement out of both hps.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #21 of 21
In your price range, I would vote for the Sennheiser HD600 as it handles this type of music extraordinarily well. I also used to own the DT880s but I found them a bit too neutral for my taste. They were very accurate, but not as "fun" to listen to. The Grado sr225i is also good (and if you can stretch your budget a bit and buy pre-owned, I would highly recommend the Grado rs1i).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back