Best opamp ic chip for boosting bass on the Ibasso P3+ Heron
Mar 16, 2010 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

beamthegreat

500+ Head-Fier
Any suggestions?? I am going to use it to drive my Sennheiser HD595.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 11
Getting a pair of headphones with more bass instead would be a better option.

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #3 of 11
Well your Ibasso comes with plenty of OPamps to start with. So why don't you try playing around with those ?

I suggest you try out the ad8066 in L+R with ibasso buffers and the LMH6655 in ground channel.

I found the ad8066 to be a bassy opamp. So try various permutations and combinations till you get a sound you like.

May 22, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 11
try AD826 DIP, that is improve bass significant...

May 22, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #6 of 11
try AD826 DIP

May 24, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 11
OPA2227 is a warm-sounding opamp that does bass well.

May 24, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 11
yes, you will find some that do bass well, but you will not find an opamp designed to boost bass, I agree with the others, buy some bassy headphones, aside from modifying the P3+ with an RC circuit on the output to provide a filter for boosting bass, you dont have too many options in that regard. you could stack some more BUF634 in the buffers, more output power might help

May 26, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 11
Why? My feeling is that HD595 needs controlled base, simple base boosting may make it sound muddy otherwise. Agree on AD827 for improving base, but would recommend use AD797 as G/V for better control. No buffers needed For HD595.

May 27, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #10 of 11
What exactly is the use of buffers ?

On a side note I almost fried the TI 1620 chip (from the top kit) ! I inserted it with the wrong polarity and switched on the amp. The Chip actually made a sizzling sound and the solder started to melt ! Thankfully I immediately switched off the amp and pulled out the chip before any permanent damage could be done. 
redface.gif

Though I was worried about the strong smell that you get when any plastic is burned it still functions fine. (Phew !) But rest assured I now tripple check everytime I insert an OPAMP in its socket.

Anyways I also received the AD797BN OPAMPS and I love them ! The TI 1620 is in the LR, buffers used are the Ibasso buffers and the AD797BN in ground.

Lovely lush midrange with a nice boost to the bass without sounding muddy. Vocals are really a treat to listen to with this combo.

May 27, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Why? My feeling is that HD595 needs controlled base, simple base boosting may make it sound muddy otherwise. Agree on AD827 for improving base, but would recommend use AD797 as G/V for better control. No buffers needed For HD595.

because buffers help deal with lower impedance (high current) loads when damping factor may not be at its best. I would agree with 797 in almost any position that doesnt require unity gain, although it is specified as being unity gain stable, the reality is quite different IMO. lovely chip though, running it in my fiquest still after several months now. pretty incredible for me. everything else in the amp is constantly changing, but I dont think they'll move for a while. OPA827 is a nice change every now and then also.

a buffer is a chip used to increase either voltage or current in general, sometimes you will get a buffer with gain, but mostly for our purposes they are unity gain. main benefits are higher current and lower output impedance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back