Best of sound
Jul 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 13
I agree with TMRaven, espacally on a good setup. For example, when I got my HD-600 and listened to coldplay's viva la vida in a lossless flac file, it sounded like a piece of ****. It was muffled, boomy and flat. It's sad, it was one of my favorite songs... but recordings do matter. I personally would rather have a lossy file of a good recording than a lossless of a poor recording. 

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 13
Even though it depends on the uploader they usually(the 1080p ones) hit around 160kbps. I've never had a really good one that matched the 256kbps AAC's I personally encode from the lossless copies.

Talking about Best of Sound, my Linkin Park Living Things album will be here tomorroW! [size=medium]
t(-_-t)​
[/size]

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Even though it depends on the uploader they usually(the 1080p ones) hit around 160kbps. I've never had a really good one that matched the 256kbps AAC's I personally encode from the lossless copies.

Talking about Best of Sound, my Linkin Park Living Things album will be here tomorroW! [size=medium]
t(-_-t)​
[/size]

Thanks! I'm really new to this audio world. Thanks for helping out. Do you know about any great sites to download or listen to music from?

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Thanks! I'm really new to this audio world. Thanks for helping out. Do you know about any great sites to download or listen to music from?

https://www.hdtracks.com/

or Pandora, Grooveshark if it is availble in your country, last.fm, etc etc.

Or iTunes or buy the physical album off Amazon. I would avoid Amazon MP3's. Their encoding and tracks that I have downloaded were down right horrible.

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
https://www.hdtracks.com/

or Pandora, Grooveshark if it is availble in your country, last.fm, etc etc.

Or iTunes or buy the physical album off Amazon. I would avoid Amazon MP3's. Their encoding and tracks that I have downloaded were down right horrible.

"Audiophile 192kHz/24bit"
"Audiophile 96kHz/24bit"
What would be best? I currently got Asus Xonar DG with ATH-M50

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 13
Again, the actual recording matters way more than the bitrate and sample rate.  For starters, even people with headphones like hd800 and lcd-2 would be hard-pressed to accurately tell a difference between a good a 16 and 24bit version of a song.  Just save the money and get more of the music you want.

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 13
+1 to TMRaven, it takes some serious gear($300+ for amp and dac) AND knowing what to listen for to be able to tell the difference. Those that can do it can tell the difference with cheaper gear but I'm just giving a generic baseline.

If you can get a higher bit rate one, then sure, why not. But otherwise, regular CD quality 44.1/16 is fine although I would prefer at least 48/24 for classical recordings.

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #12 of 13
That's a very good point, there's a great divide between actual musicians and people with lots of experience and/or training on the matter on what actual instruments and filters should sound like, and those who are just getting into the hobby who think that--because these 'pros' are able to tell the difference on their HD800s, that the lesser experienced would be able to do the same.  I remember I took a 320 vs 128kbps test on some site and posted the results.  A guy I knew on a site got about the same results that I did just using his laptop speakers, he also plays instruments daily.

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
That's a very good point, there's a great divide between actual musicians and people with lots of experience and/or training on the matter on what actual instruments and filters should sound like, and those who are just getting into the hobby who think that--because these 'pros' are able to tell the difference on their HD800s, that the lesser experienced would be able to do the same.  I remember I took a 320 vs 128kbps test on some site and posted the results.  A guy I knew on a site got about the same results that I did just using his laptop speakers, he also plays instruments daily.

Many people dont' realize that muscicians themselves are usualy terrible audiophiles. Usually.

It's hard to tell a difference although I believe that 48/24 does benefit classical recordings.

I took a 320 vs 128 with flying colors. I passed a few lossless vs 320 with good colors. Depending on the song and how well the artist recorded it and also the real time algorhthymn of MP3 or LAME MP3 or AAC, telling it apart can sometimes be simple or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back