Best of Closed Cans
Dec 10, 2006 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

DDF

100+ Head-Fier
I fell in love with Beyer's DT250-250s but couldn't live with its evil twin, really vague imaging.

I want to buy a "final" (ya I know
wink.gif
) set of closed (necessity) cans to use in bed (i.e. stay on fine when horizontal). I scoured the archives and nothing stood out. Sony 3ks or AT 900s were potentials, but the Sony's aren't available new any longer, and I read quite a bit of bad blood on the 900s. I already own DT770s and am looking to significantly upgrade (better detail, smoother balance).

So head-fi community, what's out there in a $500 or less closed can that's great with rock, classical, jazz and has no real achilles heal? Neutral, extended, tight imaging, and not clinically dead. Do these cans even exist?

Amp will be purchased later to match the cans and source will be a heavily tweaked MSB link dac.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 10, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DDF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So head-fi community, what's out there in a $500 or less closed can that's great with rock, classical, jazz and has no real achilles heal? Neutral, extended, tight imaging, and not clinically dead. Do these cans even exist?

Ultrasone PROline 750.

Not exactly the most stylish-looking, certainly not the most comfortable, suspect headband prone to making creaking sounds when put on or taken off, and an absolute target of ridicule for anyone who puts them on at meets for a few minutes in-between stops at the altars of Grado, Senn, and AKG.

But for the select few with the patience and inclination to try something off the beaten path, there are genuine sonic delights to be had, as I've recently discovered with the 750's open-back brother, the PROline 2500.

If you are intending to demo them, however, you must somehow try to hear one that's got at least 100 hours on it for it to even approach its true potential, which the titanium-plated driver finally reaches around 200 hours.

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 22
What about the AT W1000's?

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 22
You showed the interest, so don't shoot the messenger, but... my CD3K's ARE serving me really well. If you can find a pair for a good price and in good condition, I'd definitely jump on it. Not sure what other gear you have, but the treble can be a bit much at times, especially on recently mastered CD's. Thus, I'd recommend a warmer, more laid back source (ala the older Sony ES offerings, or possibly even Rega/Music Hall).

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone PROline 750.

Not exactly the most stylish-looking, certainly not the most comfortable, suspect headband prone to making creaking sounds when put on or taken off, and an absolute target of ridicule for anyone who puts them on at meets for a few minutes in-between stops at the altars of Grado, Senn, and AKG.

But for the select few with the patience and inclination to try something off the beaten path, there are genuine sonic delights to be had, as I've recently discovered with the 750's open-back brother, the PROline 2500.

If you are intending to demo them, however, you must somehow try to hear one that's got at least 100 hours on it for it to even approach its true potential, which the titanium-plated driver finally reaches around 200 hours.

Nice post! I've recently purchased both the 750 and 2500. They have about 2 hours each on them, not 200, and both sound great. I guess I'd better get busy burning them in.

Dec 11, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice post! I've recently purchased both the 750 and 2500. They have about 2 hours each on them, not 200, and both sound great. I guess I'd better get busy burning them in.

I would love to hear your comparisons between the two. I currently have the Proline 650 since Jan Meier said he finds the 750 a bit harsh. He also does not carries the 2500 since he considers the closed range to be of better value.

Anyway, I love the Proline 650 and I'm now thinking on try either the 750 or an open model.

Dec 11, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you like how they sound after only 2 hours, big surprises lay in store for you after 200!
280smile.gif

Be sure to keep us posted as to how they progress.

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DDF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I fell in love with Beyer's DT250-250s but couldn't live with its evil twin, really vague imaging.

...I already own DT770s and am looking to significantly upgrade (better detail, smoother balance).

Good Question. I would seriously consider sending those DT770's in for a Darth makeover; they're unreal. Otherwise, probably a Darth Senn 650 for under $500 may be possible, I suppose.

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by smartins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to hear your comparisons between the two. I currently have the Proline 650 since Jan Meier said he finds the 750 a bit harsh. He also does not carries the 2500 since he considers the closed range to be of better value.

Anyway, I love the Proline 650 and I'm now thinking on try either the 750 or an open model.

I suppose one person's "harsh" can be another's "revealing".
wink.gif
The titanium-plated drivers in the Ultrasones do not suffer poor sources gladly.

smartins, you have PM!
280smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back