Best noise cancelling head phones on the planet?
Apr 27, 2015 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MrGuest

New Head-Fier

I’m lucky to have 4 little kids, and I’m lucky have a job where I can work from home. Unfortunately sometimes my luck 1 (kids) are preventing me from exercising my luck 2 (work).

I bought the BOSE Quiet Comfort 15, which are not bad. However, I’m trying to find some noise cancelling headphones which are remarkably more noise cancelling and noise isolating. Every shop I checked which sells such equipment told me that there are none, which are really remarkably better than my current ones.

I’m looking for professional equipment (like i.e. for helicopter pilots, or aircraft engineers who work next to running jets, etc.). I’m looking for something where I hear absolutely nothing when wearing (no wild kids demolishing my living room, no neighbor renovating his apartment, no lawnmower outside the house, etc.). Which headphone comes closest to what I’m looking for? Price is secondary – I’m willing to pay remarkably more for a remarkably more noise cancelling and noise isolating headphone.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 6
I think the unfortunate truth you're in the process of encountering is that noise cancellation is a profoundly difficult technical project, and although Bose has made some stunning advances since it began in earnest c. 2000, it's mainly designed for the low-frequency sounds of an airplane, and not of rambunctious children. While they cut the bass from the noise around you, the treble will generally remain, albeit in dampened form. By all means upgrade to the qc25s (I don't leave the house without mine), which have an additional mic for better cancellation, but you will find the offerings of Sennheiser and Audiotechnica (and indeed AKG), while respectable, to be inferior—in terms of cancellation as such—even to what Bose was doing in its previous generation.

That said, Bose headphones have nothing going for them beyond noise cancellation; the sound quality itself is mediocre.

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 6
Just throwing this idea out there:
Has anyone ever tried combining noise cancelling IEMs WITH sound isolating headphones? (like the ones they use in factories or while digging up roads)

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 6
In our Company we use some Jabra Evolve 80 over ear Headphones which do a quite good job in a 4 Person Office room. I personally use Bose QC20 IEMs for travelling which are also really good. For Your needs i would try jabra.

Ps. For Your convinience
http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-Evolve-80-UC-stereo/dp/B00ODRSQKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464956211&sr=8-1&keywords=JABRA+EVOLVE+80

May 12, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 6
You're probably not going to get what you need from noise cancellation, isolation though should do the trick. Some IEMs isolate more than others, all depends on the ear tips you use as well. When I put in my etys with comply tips I can barely hear my suroundings without any music, turn on some music or grey noise and you should be set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back