Best noise-canceling headphones under $150AUD
Mar 13, 2013 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kaki29

New Head-Fier
Hi,
i'm looking for a pair of good quality noise-canceling headphones for my boyfriend who is a drummer. I have absolutely no idea what is good and any help is much appreciated! He would need them for ear protection while drumming (so as much sound cancellation as possible) and for frequent use while commuting on public transport. From the reviews, i read that bose, AKG and sennheiser are the brands to go for? If possible, please direct me to a good model that is around $150, if not under! 
Thanks so much!

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #2 of 7
Depends. If you want passive noise cancellation (like earmuffs), I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD280, the Beyerdynamic DT770M, Sennheiser HD-25-SP, or if you want to go all-out, the Rock-It Sounds R-Shield.

For active noise cancellation (using electronics, Bose does this) I'd recommend the Bose QC15.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 7
Any generic good-sealing in-ear monitor will work as well, probably better than any headphone.

This list would be helpful in finding a good in-ear:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-273-iems-compared-vsonic-vc02-added-02-24-13-p-641

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 7
Hey, thanks so much for your help! Had such a hard time before trying to narrow down numbers for potential models to buy!
I did some research and active NC headphones would definitely be better. My budget is still around $150 though, and Bose QC15 (as much as i want to get it after reading numerous reviews) is just too pricey. Any suggestions as to good headphones around that price range? 

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 7
The Audio Technica ATH-ANC7b is probably the only decent noise cancelling headphone in that price range. The build quality seems to be pretty bad though.

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 7
Actually, no, you want passive noise isolation, not active noise cancellation (I assume you meant by your boyfriend being a drummer that he intends to use these headphones while drumming). Active noise cancellation only works for certain types of noises, like high-pitched aircraft engine whines. They will not work for drums or most of the types of noise you will encounter. Noise isolation will be more effective, cheaper, won't need battery replacements, and will open you up to a much wider range of headphones that generally sound better than active noise cancelling ones.

May 26, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi, I am also looking for some headphones under$150. I want noise cancelling, but I need a cord to plug it into my older version iPod nano, [i can't have Bluetooth/wireless]. Need to be very good quality, and comfortable for long trips. Can any body help? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back