Best neutral iem under 150 dollars for 2015?
Feb 5, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #31 of 44
I have a UM Pro 10 and what i can say about the the sound signature is that it is very neutral with a somewhat weak punchy base. However, the clarity is really very good for a $150 IEM.

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #32 of 44
I bought the Marshall mode recently. It was around $65. Build quality is far below the shures. But it sounds to me more balanced. I have the hf5 and had constant problems with their quality: had to replace filters twice and one filter broke inside, the cables were tearing apart (I changed them myself then), had to use superglue to mend the connectors. Also the soundstage is really thin. I tried the mc2 and they sounded disappointing, also their android control on them was faulty and had to teturn them.

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #36 of 44
I had the Havi but sold it quickly due to the large shells causing discomfort, the build quality is pretty solid (though there are some reported bad driver matching QC issues).  The sound is neutralish but on the lean/cold side.  I prefer the more natural sounding and coherent RE400 which are really easy to fit in any ear.  If build quality is the most important you can try the Brainwavz R3 which can be bought 2nd-hand for about $50-70, those are built like a tank but might not be the most comfortable or easy to fit.  Sound quality wise they are in the same league as the RE400 with neutral signature and wide soundstage.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #37 of 44
I am using Audio-technica IM50 right now which is in my opinion has the most neutral sound among my other IEM. However the only cost about 60USD which maybe too low in your price range. Fortunately there is one model above the Audio-technica IM70 which cost around 80-100USD but I can't comment whether that model also have similar neutral sound as my IM50. Both model have detachable cable. The other Audio-technica I have now is CKX7 which is sound more towards v shaped.

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #39 of 44
Slightly old thread but I have to say something about the Havi B3. They sound pretty good, and are very neutral, but I had two of them break within 6 months. The first one failed in the right earpiece after a few months, where the wire enters - I had to hold the wire in a certain position for it to work, then eventually it failed altogether.

I sent it back to mp4nation, who was very responsive in their customer service and I had a new pair within a week of sending it back. However, this new pair broke within 3 months, this time at the plug. I had to play with the plug by rotating it and holding the wire in a certain position to get any sound, then eventually it failed altogether.

I considered trying to solder a new plug on, but gave up on that idea and decided to buy something else. It hardly seems worth it to make another warranty claim - I'll just be waiting and wondering when the third pair will fail.

I think I'm going with Westone UM Pro 10, because they're also supposedly neutral and aren't made in China (I also had two Hifiman products fail on me).

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #40 of 44
Wow! So many failed / broken earphone in a short time. Many manufacturers claim that their products were built like a tank and can last a lifetime. Well nothing actually built like a tank except the TANK itself. I still have a functioning earphone from my Alcatel mp3-phone back in 2006. Excellent earphone with good SQ by old walkman day standard I say. Also all my recently bought earphones in last 3 years are still functioning well. The key is not to use just single earphone for prolong duration. I keep on rotating between all my earphones so no earphones will actually stressed out or physically abused for long period. Just my opinion. Besides the obvious benefit of longer lifetime, all the earphones have different sound signature produced and I actually enjoy that the most.

Good luck with your Westone purchase. Never purchased any earphone higher than my 65USD Audio-technica IM50 so far. Never has the gut to actually buy all those expensive and ultra expensive earphone. My jaw almost drop the last time I saw that Final Audio Design Piano Forte selling for a whopping equivalent of 2700USD:joy::D

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #41 of 44
Wow! So many failed / broken earphone in a short time. Many manufacturers claim that their products were built like a tank and can last a lifetime. Well nothing actually built like a tank except the TANK itself. I still have a functioning earphone from my Alcatel mp3-phone back in 2006. Excellent earphone with good SQ by old walkman day standard I say. Also all my recently bought earphones in last 3 years are still functioning well. The key is not to use just single earphone for prolong duration. I keep on rotating between all my earphones so no earphones will actually stressed out or physically abused for long period. Just my opinion. Besides the obvious benefit of longer lifetime, all the earphones have different sound signature produced and I actually enjoy that the most.

Good luck with your Westone purchase. Never purchased any earphone higher than my 65USD Audio-technica IM50 so far. Never has the gut to actually buy all those expensive and ultra expensive earphone. My jaw almost drop the last time I saw that Final Audio Design Piano Forte selling for a whopping equivalent of 2700USD:joy:
biggrin.gif

Very good advice. Same thing goes for shoes, jeans, etc etc :) 

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #42 of 44
I dont know how to break in-ears :/ Except the cable gets stuck, and you "pull" hard in that moment, which might break.

Even my stock apple earbuds i had from my ooooold ipod mini, never broke. That rubber on the tip was gone, but they were still working.
Sennheiser CX 200? np, works today. Used them for about.... 2-3 years almost every Day.
Shure SE 215? 1.5 Years, almost daily. Cable looked like "new".
UE 900? Using them since november 2013, where i got them cheap. Cable also looks like new, not even close in getting any defect. And i even wraped them around my fingers, and just put them into my jacket, instead the small Box, because i didnt had the box with me.

May 8, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #43 of 44
I think that in the end ill get two etymotics mc5 or mk5 because of the sound, price and isolation. Any other iems that are neutral under 70$? Maybe with good durability?

Go for the MK5. They are quite neutral and punch above their price point. No need to buy MK5 if you ask me.

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #44 of 44
Hi, I couldn't find a similar thread about the best $500 or below "neutral" sounding IEMs, so here's my question, will the Sony MDR7550 be the best option?
I've also read the Aurisonics Rockets could be another choice but I'm concerned about the non-detachable cable. 

Any other recommendations? 
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back