Best Mini-mini and mini-RCA interconnects
Apr 4, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #31 of 40
Okay, I'm convinced. Does anyone know where online I can get a Kimber Kable mini to mini interconnect, or a cable brand of similar or higher quality? I'm not interested in DIY.

Apr 4, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Driftwood
headroom (headphone.com) sells the kimber if I remember correctly.

Driftwood

Not the mini to mini. Or at least it isn't listed on the web site.

Apr 5, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #34 of 40
For mini-RCA I like these. About $12 worth of BL-1 cable, and the Switchcraft mini was about $5, but those Cardas right-angle RCA's took the price way up...

bl1.jpg

Apr 5, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by cajunchrist

[size=medium]No, it's not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size] Warning: That's the mono mini to mini NOT the stereo mini to mini, which is what you want. Another user got burned because they ordered the mono mini, be sure you order the RIGHT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..........And that user was me.......be forwarned......balanced stereo mini mini all the way.....

It took some returns, but I finally got the right cable. Now I have the Kimber 1 ft. mini mini, the Markertek, and the straightwire mini mini from headroom for portable use.

Contrary to what people say here, I actually prefer the Kimber the most with my etys. I love the midrange clarity and upper frequency extension. The straightwire and markertek have more pronounced bass however. I'm not sure if that's a coloration or if that's the way the recording actually is supposed to be heard. However, after listening to the Kimber mini mini extensively, I find its bass to be just fine. I believe it will be my home use cable and the straightwire will be what I use portably.

Now all I need is a Traveler bag and I'll be set.

Apr 5, 2002 at 7:09 AM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth

Beware the curse of the Litz!!

Yeah, I totally got screwed. I couldn't heat that *******ed laquer coated cable to save my life. Wasted good money, and now I can't listen to my V6's at all.

Apr 5, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by FlurkingShnit

Contrary to what people say here, I actually prefer the Kimber the most with my etys. I love the midrange clarity and upper frequency extension. The straightwire and markertek have more pronounced bass however. I'm not sure if that's a coloration or if that's the way the recording actually is supposed to be heard.

You certainly have the more accurate cable. To my ears, the slower, more colored Markertek cable sounds richer, which is more important to me than accuracy. That's why I decided that my next amp will be a tube amp.

Apr 5, 2002 at 3:34 PM Post #38 of 40
I'd have to agree with the comment on Markertek sounding richer. When compared directly to the Kimber, it seemed to have more meat in the sound so to speak.

The only cable that I'm somewhat unimpressed with is the Straightwire one from Headroom. It sounded really smooth, and fairly detailed, but it was just missing that sparkle that the Kimber had and that the Markertek had (but in a different way).

If only they made something that sounded like the Kimber but was shaped like the Straightwire cable, it'd be perfect.

Apr 5, 2002 at 4:06 PM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by cajunchrist

Yeah, I totally got screwed. I couldn't heat that *******ed laquer coated cable to save my life. Wasted good money, and now I can't listen to my V6's at all.

You can use laquer thinner or 000 steel wool to carefully clean the insulation off of the tips of the wires before attempting to solder, then it should work for you! Make sure you remove all residual contamination from the bundle before you solder. (i.e let laquer evaporate, clean away all steel wool cruft, etc ) That's how you can bannish the curse of Litz!

Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back