Best Mid-Fi (sub flagship) HPs for Vocal Trance Only
Aug 13, 2011 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

VanCitySound

100+ Head-Fier
[size=medium]I am looking for some cans specifically for vocal trance only.  They will be amped with a Burson and I don’t want to spend more than say about $350 (used or new).[/size]

[size=medium]I think that the following attributes would make for a good HP for this genre:[/size]

• [size=medium]Big soundstage[/size]
  • [size=medium]Some good bass presence (but not overkill)[/size]
  • [size=medium]Warmth in female vocal range[/size]

[size=medium]I’d love to hear your thoughts. [/size]

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #2 of 13
HD650?

I guess. I like my HD598 also

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
Thanks BotByte, how would you rank the HD650 vs. the HD598 on the three criteria I listed?

Sorry for jumping in here, but I recently auditioned both the HD650 and the HD598.  IMO the 650s definately produce a warmer sound due to their enhanced bass response compared to the 598s.  Initially this gave the impression that the 598s were clearer and better defined.  But after continued listening I came to the conclusion that the 650s were equally well defined in the mids and treble but having the additional bass it shifted the overall balance of the headphone away from the higher frequencies.  I should mention that these impressions were made from CDs of either Patricia Barber or Diana Krall.  From what you describe as your objectives, I say the 650s are probably for you.  They certainly impressed me for female vocals in a small jazz setting.

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
[size=medium]I am looking for some cans specifically for vocal trance only.  They will be amped with a Burson and I don’t want to spend more than say about $350 (used or new).[/size]

[size=medium]I think that the following attributes would make for a good HP for this genre:[/size]

• [size=medium]Big soundstage[/size]
  • [size=medium]Some good bass presence (but not overkill)[/size]
  • [size=medium]Warmth in female vocal range[/size]

[size=medium]I’d love to hear your thoughts. [/size]

Heya,

Best is relative. Your idea of good bass and someone else's is likely different. Warmth, well, again, likely different.

Check out HD650, AKG K701, Ultrasone 2900, BeyerDynamic DT990. Also see HD598, Shure SRH940 and Denon D2000.

Very best,

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Heya,

Best is relative. Your idea of good bass and someone else's is likely different. Warmth, well, again, likely different.

Check out HD650, AKG K701, Ultrasone 2900, BeyerDynamic DT990. Also see HD598, Shure SRH940 and Denon D2000.

Very best,

Malveaux, I can always count on you to put out a well thought out and informative post!

You more or less covered allt he bases haha. Out of those I think the DT990 and Denon D2000 would do pretty well for this genre

Aug 13, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #8 of 13
[size=medium]Thanks, I have listened to some of the recommendations.  I have done extensive listening in this genre with the K702s, the DT880(600)s and the SHR840s.[/size]

[size=medium]K702[/size]
[size=medium]1 – Soundstage – the best I have ever heard topping the HD800 and the LCD2.[/size]
[size=medium]2 – Bass – too weak for the genre.[/size]
[size=medium]3 – Female vocals – merely adequate.[/size]

[size=medium]DT880(600)[/size]
[size=medium]1 – Soundstage – not broad enough to do justice to many songs in this genre.[/size]
[size=medium]2 – Bass – about right for the genre.[/size]
[size=medium]3 – Female vocals – too cold with occasional sibilance.[/size]

[size=medium]SHR840s[/size]
[size=medium]1- Soundstage – not big enough at all.[/size]
[size=medium]2 – Bass – not bad but could have more sub-bass extension.[/size]
[size=medium]3 – Female vocals – quite good.[/size]

[size=medium]To my ear I was ultimately not a big fan of the Beyer’s sound for this genre at all.  I am using the K702 for now but would like a touch more warmth and a bit more bass.  I would sacrifice some soundstage (but hopefully not too much) for these two elements.  [/size]

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
[size=medium]To my ear I was ultimately not a big fan of the Beyer’s sound for this genre at all.  I am using the K702 for now but would like a touch more warmth and a bit more bass.  I would sacrifice some soundstage (but hopefully not too much) for these two elements.  [/size]

HD598 or SRH940.

Very best,

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
I've listened to both the HD598 and the SHR940 but not back to back.  In your view, which has the larger soundstage and how would it compare to the K70x?

Heya,

The HD598 has a larger sound stage, but that's nearly always true with an open headphone. The SRH940 has an excellent sound stage for a closed headphone though. The K701 compares directly to the SRH940 in almost all ways, not to the HD598. But if you read further into my review, I actually compare the K701 to the SRH940 directly (on page 2 or 3 some where). The K701 actually has so much sound stage that it's artificial to the point where I didn't like it. And over all, the K701 just sounds like there's a fog between you and the music. It's just not energetic and in your face. It's a distance headphone, and it's due to that massive, artificially huge, sound stage. I like sound stage, but I don't want to feel like I'm a few tables away from the source, I want to sound like I have a front row seat. So the K701 isn't for me, the SRH940 took it's lunch.

Very best,

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #13 of 13
This search should be limited to closed headphones. Generally, open headphones give the soundstage at the expense of bass. This signature is fine for live instruments. On the other hand, closed headphones can give a stronger bass, which is great for trance. I don't place much imortance on soundstage when it comes to synthesized music. This could be a matter of preference, but I like my open headphones with the bits of jazz, blues, classical, and "unplugged" albums in my collection. For club/rave/dance music, I like my Pioneer HDJ-1000 best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back