Best "mastered" albums of the decade?
Oct 4, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #166 of 235

Quote:
i understand. well what i already mention is basic idea on mastering. you can check out some youtube vids of Greg Calbi cause he explains it really well for anyone to understand basically. also once you know or have a basic idea you will then start pick it up easily with every track you make or listen to. also as a hint when looking for well mastered music it's usually the vinyl copies that are better mastered and not tampered with cause they know the crowd that listens to vinyl. usually the cd and digital version gets boosted and dynamics get cut. that's why lot will still tell you vinyl sounds better cause it still has the music's dynamics intact.

My understanding of why vinyl are better mastered has more to do with the limits of vinyl than anything else.  Probably something to do with the s/n of vinyl compared to the CD.  As well as how close can the grooves be placed and all that other stuff.

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #169 of 235
Lateralus and although by no means the best "A Dramatic Turn of Events" by Dream Theatre and the Vinyl version of "Francis the Mute" by The Mars Volta are not smashed from what I can tell without scientific testing.

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #170 of 235

Quote:
My understanding of why vinyl are better mastered has more to do with the limits of vinyl than anything else.  Probably something to do with the s/n of vinyl compared to the CD.  As well as how close can the grooves be placed and all that other stuff.

I think it's because people don't listen to records through cheap earbuds. That's also why classical and jazz CDs are mastered better than pop/rock music CDs, they're limiting/compressing the dynamic range on mass market music so it's easily reproducible on mass market gear.

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #171 of 235

Quote:

I think it's because people don't listen to records through cheap earbuds. That's also why classical and jazz CDs are mastered better than pop/rock music CDs, they're limiting/compressing the dynamic range on mass market music so it's easily reproducible on mass market gear.

The loudness wars have already reared their ugly head in classical and jazz.

The reason vinyl usually sounds better is because it is mastered differently. However, let's assume the mastering is the same. The vinyl will show less compression because there is less "compression". In other words, there is a limit as to how loud vinyl can be mastered. Too loud and the needle will jump out of the groove.

Oct 6, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #172 of 235
Bingo!  That's why some people, like myself, will only buy the vinyl version of an album.  There's just not as much leeway with mastering the vinyl version to run hot, like the CD/digital version.  Plus, it doesn't hurt to buy the vinyl album when the CD is included anyway  :p

Quote:
The loudness wars have already reared their ugly head in classical and jazz.

The reason vinyl usually sounds better is because it is mastered differently. However, let's assume the mastering is the same. The vinyl will show less compression because there is less "compression". In other words, there is a limit as to how loud vinyl can be mastered. Too loud and the needle will jump out of the groove.

Oct 8, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #173 of 235
The first one that comes to mind is the (terribly long overdue) Chinese Democracy album by GNR. I was expecting a disasterous brickwall, but Bob Ludwig did a fantastic job with it (IMO). Both the cd and the vinyl sound really, really good sound quality/production/mix wise. The downside is of course it may be a little 'too' polished, as it's a bit multilayered ala Queen and so sometimes sounds are just jumping out of every conceivable direction.

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #176 of 235

Sara K and Chris Jones [2003]

Javiera Mena - Mena [2010]

Ueh - Ueh [2001]

Matt Elliot - Drinking Songs [2005]

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #178 of 235
Meaghan Smith:   The Crickets Orchestra

Great sounding Indie release.
A brilliant synthesis of vintage jazz, vintage pop, country and modern pop
Guess they didn't have enough money to screw up the sound!  LOL
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #180 of 235
As an indie hipster, I get annoyed sometimes at the poor handling of some otherwise very good music (i.e. Arcade Fire). 
However, there are 2 albums I think are very well-produced (Not that I know all that much - this is just from personal experience)

First is Bon Iver's new self-titled album

Holocene:

And second is another eponymous album by The XX

Crystalised:

Also awesome music btw. If I'm wrong about this though, can someone correct me? I'd really like to know what I'm missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back