Best "mastered" albums of the decade?
Sep 30, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #136 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0/img/forum/go_quote.gif
Goes without saying all Radiohead albums are really well mastered. Not much of a fan of their music but I can at least appreciate them at that level.

They are definitely mastered but not well.

i agree. i don't know why radiohead gets mentioned a lot for good recorded rock albums cause lot of tracks aren't so well.

for the subject i have to say, K.D. Lang- Hymns of The 49th Parallel is very well mastered i personally think.

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #137 of 235
I have a vinyl copy of Amy Winehouse's Back to Black album, it's really good but as far as the mastering goes I don't know if is the pressing or the recording but the quality is uneven. How is the CD version, does anybody have it?

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #138 of 235
Even though it was originally recorded several decades ago, I think the re-master was done within the past 10 years.  Elliot Scheiner originally mastered this album, and then pulled out all the stops on the 24/96 high-res version of Steely Dan's Gaucho.  You can buy this from HDTracks.  It is probably the best quality album I've ever heard.

Oct 1, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #139 of 235

Quote:
I have a vinyl copy of Amy Winehouse's Back to Black album, it's really good but as far as the mastering goes I don't know if is the pressing or the recording but the quality is uneven. How is the CD version, does anybody have it?

CD is horrid.

Oct 1, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #141 of 235

Quote:

That CD made me not like Amy Winehouse (at least in the house.) In the car (with stock system) it's ideal.

Vinyl is the way to go with her. That or some serious restoration on the CD is needed.

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #142 of 235
Vinyl is the way to go with her. That or some serious restoration on the CD is needed.

I must seek out the vinyl version then. I have the CD and always thought (I think someone suggested that to me) that the album was deliberately made that way to give it a retro feel.

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #143 of 235

Quote:
I must seek out the vinyl version then. I have the CD and always thought (I think someone suggested that to me) that the album was deliberately made that way to give it a retro feel.

No Motown record ever sounded that bad!

Even Phil Spector's production never sounded that bad and he had a wall of sound!
tongue_smile.gif

Vinyl crackle left in, a little muffled sound, etc can lead to a nice retro feel at times but brickwall distortion and compression artifacts are not part of a retro sound. They are strictly modern.

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #144 of 235

Quote:
Diana Krall - Quiet Nights is actually one of the better mastered albums of this decade. EQ work on it isn't that bad either.

^absolutely - one of my best sounding albums

Here are others that may not be the best, but in my collection, and from the last decade, they are the best i o got.

Dave Matthews solo album - Some Devil - one of the best sounding albums i own

Tool - Lateralus i will also agree with though i feel 10,000 days sounds and Lateralus both sound better than Aenima.. i dont like how that one is mastered.. it sounds muffled and muddy to me.

Andreya Triana - Lost where i belong - another of the best sounding albums i own

sinéad o'connor - sean nós nua

Paul Simon - So beautiful So what sounds excellent - he ought to know what he's doing after all these years (of still being crazy :wink:  )

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #145 of 235
No Motown record ever sounded that bad!

Even Phil Spector's production never sounded that bad and he had a wall of sound!
tongue_smile.gif

Vinyl crackle left in, a little muffled sound, etc can lead to a nice retro feel at times but brickwall distortion and compression artifacts are not part of a retro sound. They are strictly modern.

Haha, I never get the "wall of sound" thing. It just sounds like a mess to me.
Anyway, I thought Sharon Jones' " 100 Days, 100 Nights" album got the sound they were going for a lot better than "Back to black". I do need to confirm that by getting the vinyl versions....

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #147 of 235

Quote:
Haha, I never get the "wall of sound" thing. It just sounds like a mess to me.
Anyway, I thought Sharon Jones' " 100 Days, 100 Nights" album got the sound they were going for a lot better than "Back to black". I do need to confirm that by getting the vinyl versions....

They nailed it on that Sharon Jones album. The vinyl and CD are good despite the CD being a bit louder. Fantastic album.

Quote:
I've posted this website address several time on Head-Fi. It's a dynamic range database of popular albums. Check it out. http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

While the DR is an indication of mastering quality, you can't always rely on it. The first pressing of "American Fool" by John Mellencamp has huge dynamic range but it sound like $hit.

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #149 of 235

Users who are viewing this thread

Back