Best "mastered" albums of the decade?
Dec 20, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #122 of 235
Denouncement Pyre - World Cremation

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #123 of 235
Not sure if these fit in here...I don't get all caught up in the mastering stuff and frankly don't really understand it. I just listen to what sounds good to my ears and these two albums sound VERY good to me...

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #124 of 235
I'm not all to knowledgeable on what makes a great mastered album, but James Murphy's albums always sound better than the rest.  Sound of Silver in particular seems to have some incredible production and mastering.

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #128 of 235
Tool's two last albums Lateralus and 10.000 Days are quite amazing. 

We could add Porcupine Tree's 2007 Fear of a Blank Planet which, if I'm not mistaking, was among the five best 5.1 albums of that year. Actually, Steven Wilson has quite a nice touch when it comes to 5.1 mixing. 

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #129 of 235

Quote:
Tool's two last albums Lateralus and 10.000 Days are quite amazing. 

We could add Porcupine Tree's 2007 Fear of a Blank Planet which, if I'm not mistaking, was among the five best 5.1 albums of that year. Actually, Steven Wilson has quite a nice touch when it comes to 5.1 mixing. 

Agree with all that titles to have great sound

But I find the 5.1 mix from In Absentia the best. The No-man mixes are also fantastic, especially 'Together We're Alone' <--breathtaking album

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #130 of 235
Indeed, Steven Wilson is doing a pretty nice job.

I've got to admit In Absentia's supremacy. Amazing album by the way. 

Crippled Black Phoenix offers majestic mastering too. Definitely worth paying for. 

I almost forgot: David Gilmour 2006 Live in Gdansk. First-rate live performance!

May 13, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #132 of 235
Have been considering selling my ESP950s due to not using them, not hearing much of a difference between my DR150s, the lack of portability etc. Just started listening to some of the albums recommended at that has all changed. Just actually listening to the music has thrown all my doubts out the window. This is brilliant

May 21, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #133 of 235

Quote:
Not really sure what I'd pick from this decade, nothing really stands out. The best albums mastered on the whole tend to be classical albums. Nothing else comes close in allowing you to accurately distinguish so many instruments.

Can you recommend 5 of these albums? I've been trying to get a nice collection of sweet sounding classical music but there is so much to choose from with widely varying quality.

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #134 of 235
Northern Exposure Vol 1, though possibly wasn't this decade. Best trance album ever released to boot.

Also, The Hours by Philip Glass.

I would also love to add the American Beauty score but I just can't.

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #135 of 235
I really like how Fair to Midland's new album sounds (Arrows & Anchors). I'm not a very critical listener so perhaps you guys would disagree. I may also be biased because their music is phenomenal. Sound quality aside, the content is stunning. It's been a while since a band that I like has been this consistent in putting out great CDs without losing any of their charm or sounding like recycled versions of their old selves.

I'm pretty upset with the audio quality of Seether's new album. I have really grown to like many of the songs but there's something about the sound that doesn't sit well with me. I'm not sure if I'm the only one. Perhaps my Atrios just don't flatter the source.

Edit: I should include The Innocence Mission - Now The Day Is Over. This album sounds very good, in my opinion. It's got a dreamy tonal quality with a nice level of clarity. I listened to it for a while before bed last night and it was just what I needed to get in a sleepy mood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back