Best looking games thread
Apr 8, 2023 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
I like visual fidelity, and some of my top best looking games.

Demon's Souls remake. Just amazing looking game. I don't think anything can really compare in fidelity. It's the kind of design and fidelity applied that I never get bored of looking at it over and over again. Which is why I own a copy.

A Plague Tale Requiem

The Last of Us Part 2
I think it looks better than the Part 1 remake since Par1 remake was based on the original PS3 release. Part 2 had better hardware to work with at the time.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 34
I'd separate out visual fidelity into two categories, art design and technical prowess. For art design, I think Elden Ring is tops at the moment. The level of detail in every object in the entire world is immaculate. For technical prowess, RE4 Remake is pretty impressive, especially with HDR on a capable display. I'm really looking forward to the enhanced raytracing technical preview of CyberPunk next week as well. I expect it to run like crap but it should look amazing.

Apr 8, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 34
I feel like 3d polygon games like Red Dead & Ghost of Tsushima, Breath of the Wild etc are FINALLY truly showing that the “realistic/semi-realistic 3d games can be truly beautiful.

Before the last several years, I felt like the only 3d games which looked truly excellent were Cel-shaded 6th & 7th gen titles from infogrames and other top shelf studios, and Nintendo 1st party stuff like Mario Galaxy, Wind Waker HD, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi’s wooly world, etc. Rayman Origins and Stuff like Cuphead and Ori always feel to me like some of the best looking games of all time. Super Mario 3d World also, to me, one of the greatest looking games ever.

But my favorite LOOKING games of all time will always be bright, colorful, late 90’s and early 00’s, large-sprite/well-animated 2d games from Capcom, and other arcade game studios like Noise factory (IGS PGM). Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike, Street Fighter 3: 2nd Impacy, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Vampire Savior, Marvel vs Capcom 1, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Capcom vs SNK 2, etc …. To me those are peak gaming.

Apr 8, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 34
I'd separate out visual fidelity into two categories, art design and technical prowess. For art design, I think Elden Ring is tops at the moment. The level of detail in every object in the entire world is immaculate. For technical prowess, RE4 Remake is pretty impressive, especially with HDR on a capable display. I'm really looking forward to the enhanced raytracing technical preview of CyberPunk next week as well. I expect it to run like crap but it should look amazing.
Yeah, From Soft examples how important design is for impression of visual quality.
Bloodborne from 2015 is still amazing design. That is the basis for the most recent engine used in DS3 and Elden Ring. Demon's Souls looks even better, and I hope From Soft updates to a better engine.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 34
I feel like 3d polygon games like Red Dead & Ghost of Tsushima, Breath of the Wild etc are FINALLY truly showing that the “realistic/semi-realistic 3d games can be truly beautiful.

Before the last several years, I felt like the only 3d games which looked truly excellent were Cel-shaded 6th & 7th gen titles from infogrames and other top shelf studios, and Nintendo 1st party stuff like Mario Galaxy, Wind Waker HD, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi’s wooly world, etc. Rayman Origins and Stuff like Cuphead and Ori always feel to me like some of the best looking games of all time. Super Mario 3d World also, to me, one of the greatest looking games ever.

But my favorite LOOKING games of all time will always be bright, colorful, late 90’s and early 00’s, large-sprite/well-animated 2d games from Capcom, and other arcade game studios like Noise factory (IGS PGM). Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike, Street Fighter 3: 2nd Impacy, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Vampire Savior, Marvel vs Capcom 1, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Capcom vs SNK 2, etc …. To me those are peak gaming.
I think Capcom had great line drawing design back in the days you are pointing out. It's too bad they went away from it. Arc Systems continued it with high fidelity 2d animation graphics, which is actually 3d underneath. I would like to see Capcom do the same.

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 34
Hogwart's Legacy. Very high fidelity and detailed design at 4k at high fps. I'm very awe'd by it's visuals and the planning of the world. I recommend for those into high visuals for emersion. Might be the most detailed open world I've ever seen.

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 34
With the exception of Jedi: Survivor, I think Cyberpunk with its original ray tracing is probably the best looking game on the market.

20220323133814_1.jpg

20220323133510_1.jpg

20220322201153_1.jpg

And it kinda frustrates me that nobody can give a good answer as to why Hogwarts Legacy or Last of Us requires twice as much VRAM. Games are getting more demanding, but they're not really getting better looking.

The new ray tracing implementation in Cyberpunk beats everything else, and has steep system requirements, but its entirely justified in my opinion.

May 30, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 34
I'm not into the way Cyberpunk looks. My first playthrough on release left a bad taste in my mouth. It's much better optimized for sure, but don't like the game. I can't do first person perspective anymore after a lot of great third person games with great gameplay. It's like going back to year 2000. I'm not big on open world games like GTA or whatnot. GTA like game in first person makes no sense.

Last of Us 1.05 patch has optimized memory utilization and run much smoother now. At least for my new high fps rig. Older rigs may still have issues, but vram usage went down. As for Hogwart's, it's like it has a memory leak. Stuttering increases by time. lol Still, I enjoy it at the moment.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 34
Wow, 'Last of Us Part I' looks amazing on PC in ultra setting. I was kinda disappointed how it looked on PS5, and I thought it was inferior than Last of Us 2, and running it on better graphics hardware in 4k ultra settings, it's amazing looking on PC. What you see on PC is I guess how it should look running on best hardware.

Games in 4k at 75+ fps on PC is just amazing! I'm a believer in 4k gaming now. It's in another level! The fidelity is ridiculous!

You have to get the right monitor/tv for this. I got a LG C2 OLED. The picture is crystal clear. It's able to run upto 120hz, and also G-sync. You need a quality TV to get the most out of the PC.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #11 of 34
It's the not most technically advanced, but damn guys, Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut on PS5 is a banger! The clarity on my LG C2 OLED is unreal. Probably running VRR on it for smooth frame rate as well. The director's cut is well worth the purchase for PS5. Game is just beautiful in terms of art direction and how sharp the image looks on a quality display. It seems LG C2 does something to console outputs to make the image look very clear.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #13 of 34
I've just finished Uncharted: legacy of Thieves.
Really liked the way it looks.

The updated Witcher 3 is also stunning (and remains my all time favourite game).

12110404.png

Attachments

• screenshot_20230708_142457.png
    screenshot_20230708_142457.png
    9.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 13, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #14 of 34
I need to add Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

The game is a visual treat, and this game should be played on PC in 4k with all the settings turned up. If you have a RTX 4090, consider yourself luck when you boot this game up. Amazing fidelity this game has. Sony Studio games are so good lookin!

Aug 14, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #15 of 34
I need to add Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

The game is a visual treat, and this game should be played on PC in 4k with all the settings turned up. If you have a RTX 4090, consider yourself luck when you boot this game up. Amazing fidelity this game has. Sony Studio games are so good lookin!

I'm playing this currently in super ultrawide. I have a 4070ti/5800x3d combo and I'm still maxing this game out at 143fps. (I turned off ray tracing but everything else is set to its highest value, except I'm not using their tech for ambient occlusion) And yeah, it is a real beauty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back