Best Living Musician - Any Genre
Feb 9, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip
Martin Gore

Honestly he probably isn't the best, but his name should at least be under consideration... A very talented sylist in terms of production, composition and lyrics plus he is a very impressive performer. (Something that doesn't really come through until you see him live, I might add.)

Who do I actually think is the best? I'm pretty torn... Kind of a threeway toss-up between Philip Glass, Richard D. James (Aphex Twin) and Tom Jenkinson (Squarepusher).

Well if it was a footrace of Martin Gore versus Vince Clarke, I'd pick Vince. Mr. Clarke founded Depeche Mode along with Martin, et. al., and take a look at the first album - it was all Clarke, including "Just Can't Get Enough." Then Vince took off, had a bit of Assembly work, blew up with Yaz, blew up bigger with Erasure, and is still going strong. Gore is definitely talented and really has come into his own with taking over songwriting duties for DM, but to me the more talented "bleeper and blooper" is still Vince.

Feb 11, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #48 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane
2. Definitely not 'equally' proficient in classical.

What makes you say that the guy who recorded the Well-Tempered Clavier, French Suites, and Shosty Preludes and Fugues (in a version that some consider the definitive performance) is less proficient (e.g. competent) in classical than in jazz?

Feb 11, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #49 of 51
Quote:

1. Um, is he even from the golden age? And did Sonny Rollins, Max Roach, Roy Haynes etc die?

I'll concede this point if any of these guys you mention are still putting out important work today. I really don't know. Are they? Jarrett is.

Jarrett's from the golden age in that he recorded with Miles in the 60s.

Feb 11, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #50 of 51
Quote:

In each genre that I know well:

Rock: Bob Dylan
Blues: BB King
Jazz: Sonny Rollins
Free Jazz: Evan Parker

And most underappreciated artist in proportion to talent: Willy Porter.

You haven't explained why you nominate any of these.

Feb 11, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #51 of 51
Quote:

3. Ridiculous hyperbole. I mean come on, better than Bird, Coltrane, Bud Powell?

I LOVE Jarrett, but you reasoning is highly flawed.

Yes, I think Jarrett is a better improvisor than all of those. Here's why:

When did Coltrane, Bird, or Powell improvise an entire full-length solo concert with no accompaniment, including 45-minute pieces, and have it make sense as a coherent whole? Both Beethoven and Jarrett did that.

I'm not saying the others weren't great improvisors, but Jarrett's solo piano outings are in an entirely seperate category. I point to the concert-length, overarching structure, and coherence of the works in question.

What's flawed about that reasoning?

And please avoid ridiculous hyperbole in your response (such as use of the term "ridiculous hyperbole").
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back