Best Living Musician - Any Genre
Jan 20, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #31 of 51
Martin Gore

Honestly he probably isn't the best, but his name should at least be under consideration... A very talented sylist in terms of production, composition and lyrics plus he is a very impressive performer. (Something that doesn't really come through until you see him live, I might add.)

Who do I actually think is the best? I'm pretty torn... Kind of a threeway toss-up between Philip Glass, Richard D. James (Aphex Twin) and Tom Jenkinson (Squarepusher).

Jan 20, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #32 of 51
I think Morevac is as good as any musician I've ever heard. He is not showy, like a Pete Townsend, another very fine musician. But, in my mind he's up there.

Hal Blaine is another top choice. He's also played on more records I have than anyone. His drumming is recognizeable but yet he has enormous range.

For me it's a simple question. Since I gain much pleasure from music, it is simply a matter of adding up in who's company I've gotten the most musical pleasure.

A tie, but a fine one. By the way, they've never to my mind, appeared on each other's records at all. I'm not at all sure they've heard of each other.

Jan 20, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Sinnott
I think Morevac is as good as any musician I've ever heard.

Ivan Moravec is probably my favorite pianist, though his repertoire is a bit limited.
k1000smile.gif

Jan 21, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #34 of 51
I think that this is a nearly impossible question, I have enough trouble thinking of the top several dozen in my favorite genres. At this moment I guess that I would say:

Jazz - Ornette Coleman
Blues - Otis Rush

Feb 8, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #35 of 51
Almost with no doubt at all, I say Michael Jackson. I didn't think i would have to explain, but since nobody mentioned him I have to give you a reason. He has an incredible voice, his background vocals is a work of a genius, the productions on every single track is simply breathtaking (even after listening to a song for over 500 times you can still explore new sounds). Well I could go on forever, but let's just leave it there and put it like this: He Is The KING/EMPEROR/CEASAR or whatever you prefer Of MUSIC. Period.

Have A Relatively Good Day !

Yours Truly,

B . A . E . M

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Nice call buddy...Im going to agree.
I would say Trent is the most Underrated musician alive today; most people have no clue as to the depth of his talents...he plays multiple instruments, sings, writes, produces and as correctly stated in the qoute above is "endlessly creative".

I was the worlds biggest NIN fan in high school, I still have like 10 tshirts in a bag from those days. 7 years ago I would have agreed however now I must say I think Brian Eno is by far a more talented and multifaceted musician. Look him up if you haven't.

Brian Eno has just done too much and he did it 20 years before Trent.

Feb 9, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #39 of 51
Keith Shields has my vote, hands down. The man is himself a huge audiophile and master musician. He compositions and recodings are often set up to utilise the crossing of sound waves and beat pattesr to add musucality to a work. Loveless is one of the greatest albums ever recorded, its so dense that I hear somthing new, literally everytime I hear it. His later solo works are rish and soothing piece that ooze perfection and technical mastery, not in the sense of speed, but in the sense of total knowledge and confidence in what he is doing. Amazing.

Feb 9, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #41 of 51
John Williams

Quote:

Originally Posted by vibin247
His stuff is just memorable.

That is because it is all the same
biggrin.gif

One of my favourites of his has always been the asteroid chase in Empire Strikes back but I recently heard one of his "newer" compositions and it looks like he has recycled that one now too.

Definitely good at what he does just has a habit of rehashing the same material. Wouldn't qualify for my "the greatest" though. I don't think I could even begin to choose.

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #43 of 51
Either Keith Jarrett or Stevie Wonder.

Feb 9, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #45 of 51
Elvis.

evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back