Best Living Musician - Any Genre
Jan 18, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbluewater
Vangelis

This man speaks much truth.

But like already said, that question is way too broad.

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #18 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
This is entirely too broad a query, and is impossible to answer. It's the same as asking "what's your favorite thing ever?" (well OK other than sex...). There is a tremendous number of very talented musicians, be they performers or composers, in a great number of genres both old and new, and trying to pick one between them is pretty pointless.

My .02

I agree.

People are simply listing their favorites across genres. The main problem is that "best" implies objectivity, while most of the people on this site (judging from lengthy and heated threads on this topic) think music appreaciation is all subjective.

A better question would be, "who is your favorite musician?" Even with that, I think it's better by genre, as well as distinguishing composers from performers.

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
1. Arguably the last major survivor of the "golden age of jazz"
2. Equally proficient in jazz and classical forms
3. Bar none the greatest improvisor since Beethoven.

1. Um, is he even from the golden age? And did Sonny Rollins, Max Roach, Roy Haynes etc die?

2. Definitely not 'equally' proficient in classical.

3. Ridiculous hyperbole. I mean come on, better than Bird, Coltrane, Bud Powell?

I LOVE Jarrett, but you reasoning is highly flawed.

Its simply impossible to compare genres, and for the most part even styles, and usually dangerous to try. You cant talk about best, only favorites.

In each genre that I know well:

Rock: Bob Dylan
Blues: BB King
Jazz: Sonny Rollins
Free Jazz: Evan Parker

And most underappreciated artist in proportion to talent: Willy Porter.

Jan 18, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB06
50 Cent without a doubt. He is a true gangsta and his rhymes and originality are unchallenged IMO. "Candy Shop" is a work of art, it is an aural masterpiece.
wink.gif

You have to be kidding me, right?

Whoever said PRINCE thats another good call. Hes an unbelievable talent, I think he plays like 15 instruments?

Jan 18, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #21 of 51
Pierre Boulez. Not only is he a great conductor, he is probably the most influential living composer. He has shaped modern orchestral music for the last forty years.

Jan 18, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #22 of 51
Too difficult to narrow it to one musician/genre
So I'll just choose the genre I know most...

Peter Gabriel - his work with Genesis was their best. His solo albums have been groundbreaking, raising the bar for pop/rock music. He is also one of the best lyricists of all time (imo). Then there is the powerful soundtrack he composed to "Last Temptation Of Christ". Pure genius.

I also have to mention John Williams - his soundtracks are as big a part of all the classic movies he has scored as are the screenplays/stories, direction, cinematography, cast members, special effects. The same can't be said for any other film composer I can think of.

Jan 18, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthrax
Billy Corgan...

there, i said it.

edit:i forgot the why part.

cause he's one of the best song writers.

I can get behind that.

Jan 18, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
You have to be kidding me, right?

Whoever said PRINCE thats another good call. Hes an unbelievable talent, I think he plays like 15 instruments?

Haha, yes, I was kidding. If you check my Audioscrobbler, even though I just started it last week, you will find nothing remotely in the vein of 50 Cent's "music", which sucks IMO. I really don't have a true answer to this question of the best living musician, I was very tired and delirious last night and decided to attempt to inject some humor into this thread.
eggosmile.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB06
Haha, yes, I was kidding. If you check my Audioscrobbler, even though I just started it last week, you will find nothing remotely in the vein of 50 Cent's "music", which sucks IMO. I really don't have a true answer to this question of the best living musician, I was very tired and delirious last night and decided to attempt to inject some humor into this thread.
eggosmile.gif

Good, because if you werent kidding I don't think you would be alive to be bragging about the bullets you took.......
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #27 of 51
Anthony Braxton gets my vote. I think he's an alien - he CAN'T be human!!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
Plus, he was one of the most influencial pioneers in free-form, avant-garde jazz.

Jack DeJohnette and Terry Bozzio would, no doubt, take a tie for 2nd place, especially in the realm of drummers.

Jan 19, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #29 of 51
Jaco Pastorious, wait, DOH!
Wait....Stevie Ray Vaughan...OOPS!
Miles Davis....AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

The still living part is not fair!
etysmile.gif

How about Paul McCartney or Brian Wilson?
Or are we talking purely musicianship here?
These two have been known to write a few timeless songs in their days.

Jan 20, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
Itzak Perlman

Itzhak Perlman - yep good call - saw him at the Royal Festival Hall in London - he is God of the Violin.

For Pop, Keith Emerson - as performer not neccessarily as creator
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back