Aug 9, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #76 of 98

Can't get tired of this.

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #77 of 98

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #82 of 98

Not to be put aside!

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #83 of 98

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #85 of 98
I would like to add:
The Airborne Toxic Event - All I Ever Wanted Live from the Walt Disney Concert Hall

As previously mentioned The Eagles When Hell Freezes Over, Nirvana Unplugged and Eric Clapton Unplugged.

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #86 of 98
So here are the live performances that I love and think you'll love that have not already been mentioned...

24 Nights - Eric Clapton
En Concert - Jack Johnson
Cohen Live - Leonard Cohen
Live In Paris and Toronto - Loreena McKennitt (I have a couple others but haven't had the time to listen)
In Concert - Nina Simone
Secret World Live - Peter Gabriel
Lovers Live - Sade
Live from Austin Texas - Susan Tedeschi
Afterglow Live - Sarah McLachlan

Anyway, thanks for the good thread!

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #88 of 98

Loved the Mahavishnu Orchestra during the late 70's but the recording was so so. Just got this album recently and it is Mahavishnuesque but a great recording.

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #89 of 98

Loved the Mahavishnu Orchestra during the late 70's but the recording was so so. Just got this album recently and it is Mahavishnuesque but a great recording.

You make a good point.

IN a way, I wish that this thread asked that contributors evaluate three separate things:

Musicianship (performance acuity)

Composition (i.e. the quality of the music)

Recording Quality

Granted, all of these are subjective, but it would be a nice touchstone to have. 

It's funny, because often times after a live show, I try to think about those three things, only in the case of the last (recording), I typically substitute the quality of the FOH mix and overall sound quality. That way, when I think about how 'good' a show was, I try to look at its parts, and how these contribute to the whole.

The fact is, as MilesDavis2 alluded to, sometimes, the recording is so bad that we end up not listening to a performance...and we might miss out on a given band's best performance ever, simply because the fidelity is lackluster. On the other hand, when the fidelity is really good, I think it's fair to say (?) that most of us are much more likely to listen to a recording longer in order to assess the overall performance given by the band.

I'm rambling...

Again, I think it would be great for contributors to rate these three things (Musicianship, Compositions, Recording) on a scale of 1-10 each.

Mark

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #90 of 98
You make a good point.

IN a way, I wish that this thread asked that contributors evaluate three separate things:

Musicianship (performance acuity)

Composition (i.e. the quality of the music)

Recording Quality

Granted, all of these are subjective, but it would be a nice touchstone to have. 

It's funny, because often times after a live show, I try to think about those three things, only in the case of the last (recording), I typically substitute the quality of the FOH mix and overall sound quality. That way, when I think about how 'good' a show was, I try to look at its parts, and how these contribute to the whole.

The fact is, as MilesDavis2 alluded to, sometimes, the recording is so bad that we end up not listening to a performance...and we might miss out on a given band's best performance ever, simply because the fidelity is lackluster. On the other hand, when the fidelity is really good, I think it's fair to say (?) that most of us are much more likely to listen to a recording longer in order to assess the overall performance given by the band.

I'm rambling...

Again, I think it would be great for contributors to rate these three things (Musicianship, Compositions, Recording) on a scale of 1-10 each.

Mark

Also a great pint Mark. All the albums or CD's that I've enjoyed listening to are from the german ECM label as well as the blue note reissues. Older columbia recordings of the mahavishnu orchestra, though the musicianship is fantastic, the recording is like I said so so. With all the recent DAPs that have come out that represents great recordings, I tend to just put the old mahavishnu recordings aside. Wish HD tracks could reissue them in a higher bitrate format. But then, lets enjoy the music . Mark thanks for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back