Best keyboards for gaming!
Dec 26, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #121 of 275
any keyboard that can press 7 keys at the same time without modifier keys with red or white LED? thanks!
Over USB or PS/2?

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #122 of 275
Any amazing wireless keyboards for NON-gaming use? I need something wireless for my room, something non-line of sight dependant... though I did just buy a cheap logitech with built in trackpad.

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #124 of 275
Ducky Shine II should work. I believe it has Nkey rollover on both PS/2 and USB, or at least PS/2
Yeah, Ducky has it over USB, and I think DAS does too. :)

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #125 of 275
You might want to consider alternate layouts if you're at all interested in a more compact desk setup. I've seen a lot of cool 84 key layouts like the noppo choc mini that might do well by you. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #126 of 275
IMO bang! for buck is in the Logitech Deluxe (250) series. Just ordered a new one. This time USB instead of ye olde PS/2.

Edit: Well, that order did not go too well. Had a K120 delivered to my house instead :\ It's practically the same board though with the exception of the keys seated a bit lower. Can't be arsed to sent it back so gon give this one a whirl.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #128 of 275
Without a doubt, Cherry MX Blue switches are the best for any keyboard, if you're willing to pay the price. Personally I use a Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition, since its smaller footprint is preferred.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #129 of 275
I picked up a Corsair K90 a couple of months ago. First mechanical keyboard I've used (apart from some old ones at a paper mill I interned at). Its pretty nice, I like the feel of the keys and the palm rest is decent (much better than my old G15). The blue backlighting really only lights up the main alphanumeric keys, numpad, arrows, and some media and macro related keys along the top. It can be annoying though as it reflects off the aluminum base plate.

It did take a while to get used to the feel of the keys (coming from chicklet style keys on a laptop) but I guess it always takes time to adjust to new peripherals. Gaming wise, for BF3 I honestly haven't noticed too much of a difference, I'm not magically better all of a sudden.

My major issue with the keyboard is the incredibly stiff and imo oversized USB cable (takes two ports). I'm sure its very sturdy but for me it just gets in the way (connecting it to my laptop at the moment).

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #130 of 275
No keyboard is going to make you instantly better as a gamer and honestly a good player can still play with a keyboard without N-Key Rollover.   It can be frustrating if you're the type of player who likes to kneel/prone, turn around, fire and throw grenades at the same time but other than them maybe the bunny hopping grenade throwers will be affected too.   I don't see how a mechanical keyboard would help a FPS player out.  It is mostly the RTS players who enjoy them as you know the key's breaking point from no action to action so you can double-tap easier.  So maybe the bunny hoppers who want to consistently hop without interruption?

The K90 seems like a good keyboard so even if you just play FPS games it should still be a solid board.

I'm still waiting for a keyboard to wow me.  I would love a Cherry MxRed / Brown with custom lighting so I can turn off all LEDs but the WASD keys for simple games like FPS games or make them different colors for when I'm playing more complex games like SC2.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #131 of 275
Quote:
No keyboard is going to make you instantly better as a gamer and honestly a good player can still play with a keyboard without N-Key Rollover.   It can be frustrating if you're the type of player who likes to kneel/prone, turn around, fire and throw grenades at the same time but other than them maybe the bunny hopping grenade throwers will be affected too.   I don't see how a mechanical keyboard would help a FPS player out.  It is mostly the RTS players who enjoy them as you know the key's breaking point from no action to action so you can double-tap easier.  So maybe the bunny hoppers who want to consistently hop without interruption?

The K90 seems like a good keyboard so even if you just play FPS games it should still be a solid board.

I'm still waiting for a keyboard to wow me.  I would love a Cherry MxRed / Brown with custom lighting so I can turn off all LEDs but the WASD keys for simple games like FPS games or make them different colors for when I'm playing more complex games like SC2.

My MX Browns actually help me with MMOs. Because I can press down a lot of keys at once I can cast whatever attacks I want with debuffs and etc at the same time. (While they don't happen at the same time, the game registers the keys and then lines the abilities up). With the crappy keyboard I had previously I always miss out on a few keys.

Although 4 key roll over is more than I'll ever need for games.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #132 of 275
Quote:
Without a doubt, Cherry MX Blue switches are the best for any keyboard, if you're willing to pay the price. Personally I use a Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition, since its smaller footprint is preferred.

I'd disagree. MX Blue are the best for YOU, not for any keyboard.
I love MX Blue for typing, not very impressed when it comes to gaming. I prefer browns or red in gaming (any type of genre in fact).

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #133 of 275
There's a reason there are multiple keyswitch types on the market: no one switch satisfies everyone. It's just like how no one headphone satisfies everyone, for a number of reasons.

MX Blues are pretty nice, but the higher release point IS an issue that understandably irritates a lot of people, especially those that don't let off the key entirely before depressing it again.

I can understand why people like linear switches like MX Browns (seriously, you call that a tactile bump?), MX Blacks, and MX Reds, but that doesn't mean I have to like them or find them viable for gaming just because the common rhetoric is that linear is somehow better for gaming. I can game just fine on IBM buckling springs (still my favorite switch), MX Clears, and even MX Blues to an extent, and all of them have the tactility that I crave.

If you can, try to sample every sort of keyswitch before committing to one. I managed to get on a Geekhack "open sink" list for that (sort of like what MLE did with the HE-400, where you get the item, try it for a bit, and just pay shipping to pass it on to the next person), and that's how I found out I liked the obscure Cherry MX Clear switch quite a lot...while also not being too impressed with the Topre switch, which was, as expected, a smooth-feeling rubber dome.

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #134 of 275
Quote:
My MX Browns actually help me with MMOs. Because I can press down a lot of keys at once I can cast whatever attacks I want with debuffs and etc at the same time. (While they don't happen at the same time, the game registers the keys and then lines the abilities up). With the crappy keyboard I had previously I always miss out on a few keys.

Although 4 key roll over is more than I'll ever need for games.

If it helps well I sure won't argue though having had some experience as a high level player in EQ2 (granted different game) it sounds like you are queuing commands.  In EQ2 people liked to do that but it typically isn't a good idea for a healer and as a DPSer I loved it when others did that ...because they were easy to pass on the parse.

Quote:
There's a reason there are multiple keyswitch types on the market: no one switch satisfies everyone. It's just like how no one headphone satisfies everyone, for a number of reasons.

MX Blues are pretty nice, but the higher release point IS an issue that understandably irritates a lot of people, especially those that don't let off the key entirely before depressing it again.

I can understand why people like linear switches like MX Browns (seriously, you call that a tactile bump?), MX Blacks, and MX Reds, but that doesn't mean I have to like them or find them viable for gaming just because the common rhetoric is that linear is somehow better for gaming. I can game just fine on IBM buckling springs (still my favorite switch), MX Clears, and even MX Blues to an extent, and all of them have the tactility that I crave.

If you can, try to sample every sort of keyswitch before committing to one. I managed to get on a Geekhack "open sink" list for that (sort of like what MLE did with the HE-400, where you get the item, try it for a bit, and just pay shipping to pass it on to the next person), and that's how I found out I liked the obscure Cherry MX Clear switch quite a lot...while also not being too impressed with the Topre switch, which was, as expected, a smooth-feeling rubber dome.

Your post reminds why I lost interest in places like Best Buy.  It would be nice if places like Best Buy were up to date and had all these types of keyboards (or even 80%) out on display to try.   Maybe they wouldn't include the obscure ones, like Cherry MxClear, but at least you would get a good idea on what you like without having to RMA everything.  I know I haven't tried all the MX types ...for all I know I could also be someone who would really like the MX Black/Clear switches.   The Geekhack idea sounds pretty slick though it would still be nice brick and mortar stores who are trying to compete with the internet would offer some of this stuff.

In general - not directed at anyone in this thread:

Though unless you are competing professionally and need every bit of advantage over your opponent so you can score a $2 Million StarCraft contract arguing which switch is best for gaming seems rather silly.  Though that seems to be the internet.  If anything it seems like the best players in the world have to play with technical handicaps (lame equipment, horrible internet connection, bad displays, etc.).

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #135 of 275
Awaiting shipping on a Corsair K60 from NCIX to replace my failed G15. This will be my first mechanical keyboard since the ancient IBM's... Hopefully the MX Red's are not too loud, to drive the wife crazy... :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back