Best isolation up to ~100USD ?
Dec 2, 2013 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

I just want something for the flights I'll be taking in 2014, esp SYD-KUL. In addition to the time you spend on the plane, there are the hours at the airport with Klaxon-style announcements and a general barrage of chatter around you - I just want to zone out. Pretty much any sound signature will be fine for this, but I'd prefer something that leans more to the bassier, V-shaped signature than a neutral or bass-light IEM. I'd prefer something comfortable - for obvious reasons - but my main priority is sound isolation.

Thanks,

estreeter

Dec 2, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 3
Etymotic HF5 is low on bass smack, but the greatest at isolation at your price range. Around $90.

TDK BA200 has robust bass and a more comfortable fit, and isolation is OK but not great. Around $110

Yamaha EPH-100 has incredible bass that will pound your head, and isolation is good, but it can be up to $130 or so new - look around for a deal.

Dec 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks soundstige - I can go the extra dollars for the Yamaha - 109 AUD from these guys  :D

http://www.exeltek.com.au/yamaha-eph-100-in-ear-headphones-earphones?utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Headphones&utm_term=Yamaha+EPH+100+In+Ear+Headphones+Earphones

Note that they have mined HF for their reviews of this IEM - much better than relying on visitors to the site to rate a given product. Dont know if I can get them delivered before Xmas - our postal service is like something out of the Dark Ages - but I've put this purchase off long enough. This is much easier than trying to decide on a DAC or a 1K+ headphone  :)

Edit: with postage, it came out at around 121AUD - still pretty good given my location. Thanks again.

Grand Total (Incl.Tax)$120.95

Users who are viewing this thread

Back