Best Integrated for under $700? Help please!
Aug 31, 2006 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

skyline889

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been searching for a while but I really need some help making a decision. I need an amplifier to power my Klipsch RB-25s right now but be able to power something like the Klipsch RB-81s or the RF-5s later on down the road. I've been doing some research and the only ones I've found in my price range used so far are the NAD C352 (Which I already own), the NAD 372, and the Onix A-120 MKII. One key thing I need on the amp though is either a pre-out or a tape/line-out so I can run my sources to my headphones as well as my speakers. I've been having to run my new bookshelfs off my floorstanding rig for a week now so I really need your guys's help finding a good amplifier. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-David

Aug 31, 2006 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 28
A used Rega Mira 3 is an excellent integrated which includes a decent phono stage and will work as a preamp as well. Used for aroung $550. Also look at the Music Hall 25.2 integrated.

Aug 31, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 28
Why not the Rotel RA-05?
105506.jpg

Or perhaps the Roksan Kandy L Mk.III if your budget will stretch to that (I'm not familiar with American prices I'm afraid)
kandyintegratedamp.jpg

Aug 31, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 28
Denon PMAIVR2000. Retails for $1,200 but can be found for less. Even with all my high end gear, it is the one piece I can't part with:

pma2000ivr_front.gif

If you find that it interests you, let me know. I may be able to help you find one.

Aug 31, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 28
If you don't mind going vintage, I'm very happy with my Creek 4330. I've also being reading good things about Cambridge Audio. Anyone here familiar with them?

Aug 31, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
I've been searching for a while but I really need some help making a decision. I need an amplifier to power my Klipsch RB-25s right now but be able to power something like the Klipsch RB-81s or the RF-5s later on down the road. I've been doing some research and the only ones I've found in my price range used so far are the NAD C352 (Which I already own), the NAD 372, and the Onix A-120 MKII. One key thing I need on the amp though is either a pre-out or a tape/line-out so I can run my sources to my headphones as well as my speakers. I've been having to run my new bookshelfs off my floorstanding rig for a week now so I really need your guys's help finding a good amplifier. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-David

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/dussun_ds99.htm

http://www.aaa-audio.com/index-bfs-dussun.htm

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue24/dussun.htm

its speakers and headphone outputs use the same circuitry. when headphone in, the speakers cut off.

Aug 31, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappucho
If you don't mind going vintage, I'm very happy with my Creek 4330. I've also being reading good things about Cambridge Audio. Anyone here familiar with them?

I was starting to think that I was the only one who had heard of them on here :p

Aug 31, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Overheat
I was starting to think that I was the only one who had heard of them on here :p

What's the deal with this company? They are new to me too but they have been getting glowing reviews and are relatively cheap. They don't look too bad either....

20051124_160354_540av2-header.jpg

Anyone here have any first hand experience?

Cambridge Audio

Aug 31, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #13 of 28
I have the 640A amp, and I can tell you it's a lovely sounding bit of gear for the money. It is also flexible (pre outs and a tape loop).

The one thing I will say though, is if you intend to drive large speakers to high volume you may need to look elsewhere. I run Epos M5's from it, which granted aren't the most efficient small standmounters in the world, and it drives them in a very accomplished manner, but not to massive volume. FYI, the 540A is rated 50W/8 Ohm and the 640A 65W/8 Ohm.

If that is enough, then it is an absolute steal...

Aug 31, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #14 of 28
Thanks for all your help guys. Some things I forgot to mention is that I've gone down the vintage route and it has not ended well for me, so only amps made within the past decade are options for me. I also need quite a bit of power, 80wpc into 8 ohms at the least, more would be preferable since I intend to upgrade my speakers in the future. I really like the Denon but can't find any info on it. Lastly I just got a second chance offer on a brand new NAD C372 for $650 shipped would this be a good buy?

Sep 1, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappucho
What's the deal with this company? They are new to me too but they have been getting glowing reviews and are relatively cheap. They don't look too bad either....

20051124_160354_540av2-header.jpg

Anyone here have any first hand experience?

Cambridge Audio

Haven't heard it yet, but it's carried in Manhattan by In Living Stereo Ltd at 13 E 4th Street. I've been curious to visit there, so perhaps I'll get audition it there soon. I'm curious about the 840A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back