Best Integrated for under $700? Help please!
Sep 1, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #17 of 28
$700 will get you the new Onkyo "D" amp! Or less.
That could be THE hot ticket at that price.

Onkyo A-9555 integrated amplifier. Additional images at the end of this release.
Click any photo for high resolution JPEG image file.

LOS ANGELES (June 1, 2006) – Onkyo introduced the A-9555 stereo integrated amplifier to enthusiasts and press at the Home Entertainment show here today, showcasing the company's new VL digital amplifier technology. This high quality audio component marks a return to the classic style, simplicity, and elegance of the heyday of two-channel equipment coupled with a unique implementation of hybrid class 'D' amplification. Because of the extremely high efficiency of this design, the amplifier effortlessly delivers a continuous 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and 200 watts into 4 ohms with remarkably little heat production or distortion.

"Nearly a decade ago, Onkyo introduced the acclaimed WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology) that has become a staple technology of nearly all of our amplifiers," said Paul Wasek, Onkyo national marketing manager. "Since Onkyo earned its reputation for high value, extremely musical audio components thanks to its acclaimed two-channel audio designs, we see no better arena to introduce our exclusive VL Digital amplifier technology, the next generation of Onkyo amplification. Over the coming years, VL Digital amplifiers will find their way through the rest of our home theater and audio amplifier lines."

The A-9555 faceplate is dominated by a large, precision motor-driven volume control and seven position input selector. There is a speaker selection switch, defeatable analog tone controls (bass, treble, and loudness,) and a high quality headphone jack for personal listening. The rear panel features two pairs of heavy-duty speaker binding posts, six gold plated line-level audio inputs, including two loops for tape/MD players, a phono input, and a heavy-duty removable power cord.

The A-9555 also features the company's exclusive RI (Remote Interactive) control system, allowing it to control other RI-equipped components through the rear panel RI jacks. It is also compatible with the company's DS-A1iPod dock, allowing users to listen to their iPod through the stereo system, and to control basic functions using the A-9555's included IR remote control. Additionally, the DS-A1 dock charges the iPod while it is being played.

VL Digital Amplifier Technology
The A-9555 is the first Onkyo product to feature the company's third generation VL digital amplification technology. This advanced PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) design offers extremely high efficiency without the high distortion that plagues most conventional PWM designs.

VL Digital employs a high speed switching power supply that is modulated with an analog input signal, then amplified in the digital domain. Conventional PWM designs typically employ a simple comparator circuit to accomplish the critical modulation, which leaves them susceptible to the small instantaneous transients caused by variations in the power supply voltage. These transients lead to jitter-based errors in the digital signal, which in turn lead to high distortion, particularly in the upper frequency ranges.

Onkyo has corrected this flaw in traditional PWM designs through an ingenious implementation of its VL (Vector Linear) circuitry, which modulates signals based on an integration circuit rather than a comparator. This leads to a 'canceling' of the positive and negative pulses of transient distortions, effectively smoothing the analog modulation and removing the error. The end result is a remarkable decrease in jitter, and a .08% THD at 1 kHz, comparable to most class AB analog amplifiers.

Sep 1, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #18 of 28
That Onkyo looks pretty interesting. How does it work exactly doe sit convert analog to digital then back to analog? The website was a little vague about it.

I've always considered Onkyo more of a low-mid end HT company now, has anyone had any experience with their amps before?

Sep 1, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Haven't heard it yet, but it's carried in Manhattan by In Living Stereo Ltd at 13 E 4th Street. I've been curious to visit there, so perhaps I'll get audition it there soon. I'm curious about the 840A.

Well, their budget amps are brilliant and the 640 CD player is still best budget buy imo - but their amp has stiff competition from Rotel as previously mentioned in this thread. Definitely worth a listen though
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2006 at 2:14 PM Post #20 of 28
Moving from an NAD C352 to a C372 will likely only be a subtle improvement, probably a little more bass and a little better dynamics. Moving from the NAD to a similarly priced amp like a Rotel, will get you some improvements in some areas (the Rotel will have better clarity and detail resolution) but may involve some tradeoffs in other areas (the Rotel is not as smooth and natural sounding as the NAD).
The Chinese amp mentioned above seems interesting if it is available with a right of return if it doesn't sound good. I thought it was odd that in the Goodsound review, the reviewer used an NAD amp as his reference, yet offered no comparison between it and the Chinese amp.
Older Onkyo amps would be a step down from your NAD. The new Onkyo digital amp mentioned above may be a different animal, but I wouldn't buy one without the option to return it.
I've owned the NAD C350 and I did upgrade from it to a significant improvement in sound quality. The bad news is the equipment I went to (Quicksilver tube separates) would cost you over $3K new or about $2k used.
I use an NAD C320BEE in another system and although I haven't heard the Chinese or new Onkyo amps, I have not heard any integrated amps under $1K that I like better.
That said, if I hadn't gotten a good deal on the NAD C320, I would have (and probably should have) bought a used Gilmore preamp/headphone amp with a cheap power amp. There was a used Gilmore for sale recently in the for sale forum. Not sure if it is still available.

Sep 1, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #21 of 28
Thanks for all your help guys, unfortunately I decided to talk to my dad and he convinced me that the NAD would be the best choice and the best value for my money, I really wanted to check out the Denon PMA-2000 IVR but well, I trusted my intuition on the Polk LSi9s and it didn't end very well and I had enough of my dad rubbing it in for a while
frown.gif
. I also talked to one of the guys at Elite Electronics, the place where I bought my Klispchs, and he said the Rotel 1062 is a great amp but judging by my tastes the NAD would probably suit me better. The NAD has exquisite specs but it's just so ugly, I have a hard time dropping that much on it. At least my dad promised to stay out of recommending my source, after all I'm paying for it
rolleyes.gif

Sep 2, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #22 of 28
RE: The NAD Amp

Beauty is only skin deep.... I think you will appreciate its' inner beauty.

Sep 2, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #23 of 28
I personally prefer Rotel RA-1060/2 amp to any of the NAD Classic amps - 'faster', more detailed/forward and much cleaner-sounding to my taste. The NAD amps are too warmish IMO and never quite excite me.

If you are after warm sound (and real good sound), check out the Audio Analogue Puccini. Guitars and string instruments never sounded better! For a more forward (and energetic) presentation, go with amps from Rotel, Cyrus and also Roksan. With the Roksan though, I cannot recommend the Kandy III since it sounds unrefined/brash in the highs (coupled with its bold presentation, it makes an aggressive-sounding amp). That unfortunately leaves only their higher-end Caspian model.

Cheers!

Sep 2, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #25 of 28
Below $700 the best I can think of is Dussun/Korsun V6i. It's a totally neutral pre-amp + extremely powerful power amp. It's dual mono 2x150W (8ohm)/2x300W (4ohm). It's not D class, but by manipulating gain + feedback they stay in class A all the way, without the huge heat dissipation that's so typical of class A.
One warning though: you'll get the neighbours very angry very soon if you combine the V6i with Klipsch speakers.

Sep 3, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by glacier_1998
Naim Nait 2 or 3 would be a good choice!

Jeff

As much as I love the little Naits, I don't think either can deal with larger RF-5. Their higher sensitivity helps, but at the nominal 8 ohm rating, you are not going to get much out of either Naits which for the most part perfer to see a stable 4 ohm load.

I am with Uncle Erik. A Fisher would be a better choice. ( trying to find a mint 400 for under 1k might be difficult, tho )

Sep 3, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #27 of 28
I <3 NAD. They look great, too. I'm still using my NAD 3155, bought in the West Germany (well, my parents got it
rolleyes.gif
). Very minimalistic design, but I think it looks great and sounds amazing. Also, Soft Clipping is the best thing that ever happened to stereo.

I think Todd sells a good NAD integrated amp for under 400 bucks IIRC.

Sep 3, 2006 at 9:12 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mckickflip
I <3 NAD. They look great, too. I'm still using my NAD 3155, bought in the West Germany (well, my parents got it
rolleyes.gif
). Very minimalistic design, but I think it looks great and sounds amazing. Also, Soft Clipping is the best thing that ever happened to stereo.

I think Todd sells a good NAD integrated amp for under 400 bucks IIRC.

I have the C352 and the 3150 and they're great amps. Todd sells the C320BEE, which is a nice budget amp, but I'm looking for something a bit more substantial. One thing I like about the C372 has 2 pre-outs with adjustable gain, which is good for me since down the line it'll allow me to run two power amps for bi-amping
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back