Best In-Line Attenuator?
Jun 14, 2003 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Orpheus

Headphoneus Supremus
Jun 14, 2003 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 19
I know my modded sony 555es is to hot for my preamp. Thanks for sharing this idea and the information where to purchase them.
cool.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2003 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 19
Thanks Orpheus! I suspected this was a problem I've been having with the output from my DAC this week. Your thread is very timely. I'll be ordering the ones from HR this week.

Jun 14, 2003 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 19
biggrin.gif
actually, i wasn't posting to recommend these products. i was really asking for an opinion................. ha ha.... but i'm glad you guys found those links useful anyway.
tongue.gif

just wondering which in-line attenuator out there is theoretically the most transparent. i haven't found any others though.... anyone know of other high quality in-line attenuators?

Jun 14, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 19
I've tried inline attenuators from MCM Electronics, and the Harrison Labs inline attenuator sold by Headroom (still have them, actually, and if anyone wants them after the rest of this post PM me). My conclusion after trying these is that the best inline attenuator in no inline attenuator. The Harrison Labs is better than the MCM, but both produce significant audible degradation of the sound. Use only in case of dire emergency when no other option is available.

The only situation where a source might be too hot for a preamp is if there's active circuitry in front of the volume control, and it's causing distortion. Otherwise, you've already got an inline attenuator in your setup...your volume control. With high output devices, you can learn small volume control movements (doesn't worked with stepped attenuators, but if your amp is good enough to have a SA, you really don't want to undo the sound with an inline attenuator, and may want to look at other solutions.)

Jun 14, 2003 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
Well back to the drawing board. I was hoping this was the solution to my problem.
frown.gif
But I dont want to undo the gains I get with the stepped attenuator.

I haven't tried the Rothwell's linked to above, and they may well be better. The ones I have tried, however, have all affected the sound adversely.

Jun 15, 2003 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 19
I had a strange experience with the Harrison Labs attenuators. I bought a pair to tame the output of my ART D/IO. HeadRoom was out of them for quite some time so I ordered from a car stereo joint online. When I got them they appeared normal but they were loose. They wouldn't stay on no matter where I installed them. The weight of the ICs would pull them right off the amp. And due to the design you couldn't crimp/bend them to make them grab tighter. Ended up returning them. Didn't really listen to them.

Jun 15, 2003 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 19
I have not heard these, myself, but the best that I've heard of is the EVS Nude Attenuator (EVS == Electronic Visionary Systems, I think).

Priced a little too high for me to just try them.

Jun 15, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #10 of 19
I've been wanting to try these for a while, since I have plenty of gain in my system, but my preamp's pot sounds kind of crappy, you know, scratchy at the low end. And it's impossible to fine tune the volume via the remote - the motor's too fast. And I'm not upgrading my speaker system anytime soon.

sacd lover, if you have a stepped attenuator I'm not sure I understand the problem. Are you stuck using the first few clicks on the dial?

(Sorry Orpheus, I'm like these other guys - same problem, no answers!)

Jun 15, 2003 at 7:28 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

The only situation where a source might be too hot for a preamp is if there's active circuitry in front of the volume control, and it's causing distortion.

well, i dunno too much about designing amps and preamps and stuff.... but i do have lots of experience with too hot sources. for instance, my Tascam professional CD player/recorder puts out a VERY VERY VERY hot signal. that signal is louder than even the max volume on many audiophile preamps. the volume is fine going into my mixer, but into my consumer tube preamp, i can hear it clipping, even on the lowest volumes.

also, when using this preamp with that CD player, powering my Monarchy solid state amp is impossible. you see, the preamp uses stepped attenuators, and after 3 steps, the speaker volume is already too high.

so, as you can see, an in-line attenuator is necessary if i'm gonna be using this preamp.

......but it's not just this preamp that has problems. i've also had problems with my sampler being too loud. on this one piano piece i'm writing, the dynamic range is pretty big, so in order to record lower-level signals at a proper volume, the output has to be at least at a decent level. however, at a good level, the peak is so loud that it overloads my mixer, even with the trim pot ALL the way down. it doesn't matter where my fader is, +10 or -40db, ........it still distorts. so, i have to compromise my music when i do the final recording and change the levels from what i would like.

so, anyway... my point is, attenuators are very helpful.

...............................so, can i please buy yours off you? i'll pm you.

thanks.

Jun 15, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 19
nately, I dont even have the stepped attenuator gilmore v2se yet, the signal is to hot with just my regular pot gilmore v1, coming from my sony 555es. My Monarchy sm 70 pro amp is to sensitive and has a high input impedence (100kohms), so its very easy to drive. I can barely open the pot, or its to loud with the above mentioned components. Because I am using the gilmores pot at the very bottom of its range, it doesnt balance well right to left. I am having a gain switch installed in the v2 se, but the in-line attenuator seemed like a great idea to make the stepped attenuator have an even greater range. But, if its going to compromise sound quality I dont really want to use such a filter.

Jun 15, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #13 of 19
hey, you got one of 'em Monarchy SM 70 Pro's too huh? heh he. yup, like i said, third step in my preamp and it's already too loud to listen to.

but i think the negative effects aren't nearly as bad as Hirsch made them out to be. i believe that these in-line attenuators are just made with resistors and the plugs themselves. in fact, someone here posted a DIY design... but i prefer something more professional looking. but if i remember correctly, his design only used two resistors... and if most of these in-line thingies are about the same design, they really shouldn't affect the sound THAT much.......... i mean, look inside your amp... it has like 50 or so resistors all over the place right? well, what's one or two more gonna do?
wink.gif

but i dunno. maybe they do not work that well. we'll see. i bought hirsch's pairs, so i'll let you guys know.

Jun 17, 2003 at 12:30 PM Post #14 of 19
I've tried the Rothwell ones.They are well made and (as far as I can tell) don't affect the quality of the signal at all

Jun 17, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #15 of 19
Rob N, which level of attenuation did you get? I saw some on the Parts Expess website, by another company, that were 3db, 6 db and 12 db. Is the Rothwell available in another amount besides 10db?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back