Best IEM's under $100.
Jul 12, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphexii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which do you guys think is the most comfortable?

It totally varies from person to person. Because each person has slightly different ear shape, in many cases its not slight actually, in my case. I have very small ear canals and even using the smallest tips; I have trouble inserting any iem.

oh yah Vmoda were very uncomfortable and bulky for me to actually wear full time.

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #19 of 29
The Mylar X3 need the UE Superfi tips to provide the best bass.

The Altec IM716's are becoming hard to find around $100 but are said to have ETY drivers.

The Futuresonics M5 sound better than both for a bit more, but I think they are worth it.

Jul 12, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #20 of 29
the downside to the im716 is the same as it is with the ER4s though as i understand , bad cable and microphonics and they're rather hard to drive to a good volume out of portables no?

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the downside to the im716 is the same as it is with the ER4s though as i understand , bad cable and microphonics and they're rather hard to drive to a good volume out of portables no?

Driving them from a portable is not a major problem, IME. They are indeed more difficult to drive than most earphones, but not to the extent that they won't go loud enough; they'll just require a higher volume setting than usual. Also, cable microphonics can be pretty much avoided with a well-placed shirt clip.

The real killer for these IEMs (in my opinion) is that fact that replacement filters can no longer be purchased anywhere. Altec Lansing has removed the iM716/616 from the "Accessories" section of its website and responds to inquiries by saying "parts are depleted." This means that once the 2 spare filters are gone, so are the iM716s...

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Driving them from a portable is not a major problem, IME. They are indeed more difficult to drive than most earphones, but not to the extent that they won't go loud enough; they'll just require a higher volume setting than usual. Also, cable microphonics can be pretty much avoided with a well-placed shirt clip.

The real killer for these IEMs (in my opinion) is that fact that replacement filters can no longer be purchased anywhere. Altec Lansing has removed the iM716/616 from the "Accessories" section of its website and responds to inquiries by saying "parts are depleted." This means that once the 2 spare filters are gone, so are the iM716s...

damn and there really aren't no other filters? the ER ones don't fit and there's no third party or something filters ?

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn and there really aren't no other filters? the ER ones don't fit and there's no third party or something filters ?

Etymotic filters don't fit. There has been some speculation that perhaps the similarly-styled (and similarly Ety-derived) Harmon Kardon EP730 and/or Stanton EAR.404 earphones would have compatible filters, but I haven't been able to find a source for them anywhere online. The upcoming E.D.G.E. Acoustics gaming earphones (developed by a branch of Etymotic) may possibly provide something compatible...but there's no telling for now (and I personally doubt it).

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #24 of 29
A vote for the crossroads mylarone X3

Jul 13, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #25 of 29
For under US$100 IEM's, I like the Creative Labs EP-630 (US$30--what a deal!) that sounds way better than you think and the Etymotic Research ER-6i (I got it for US$70 through an eBay reseller). I like the ER-6i for its nice, balanced sound (not too boomy bass and reasonably clear treble) and its ability to be easily driven by my iPod nano 2G 4 GB player.
etysmile.gif

Jul 13, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #27 of 29
after experimenting with V-moda Vibes, Mylars, UM1s, and CX300s I decided that I would rather wear full-size cans 90% of the time. My favorite of the ones I tried were the UM1s by far though. Those will be the IEMs that I keep.

The IEM or canal phone that sounds most interesting to me now though is the Atrio M5. I probably will never get it but if I could do my IEM search all over again I would probably buy those.

Jul 14, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #28 of 29
Cant forget the ER6i's for travel, they isolate very well and make plane rides quite peaceful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back