Best IEM's under $100.
Jun 20, 2007 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

cjcerny

New Head-Fier
I'd like to get a quality pair of IEM's to use with my Creative Vision:M and my PC but the budget is only $100 or so. I've seen lots of compliments on both the V-moda Vibes and the D-Jay products in this price range but there isn't really any way to audition these products (or any others I might have overlooked) prior to purchase. I was wondering if you would care to share your opinions as to what IEM's I should be considering for a budget of $100 or less. I will not be using a portable amp with them. Ideally, I like neutral to warm sounding cans. I currently have a pair of Grado 225s and I am exclusively a rock listener.

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 29
Crossroads Mylar X3 57$ shipped from Singapore

They are pretty much uncontested in under 100 Range. I have V-Moda and these quite frankly blow those out of the water.

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 29
D-Jays or Crossroads MylarOne X3... but, as I say: There is no best IEM under 100$.
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzuka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crossroads Mylar X3 57$ shipped from Singapore

They are pretty much uncontested in under 100 Range. I have V-Moda and these quite frankly blow those out of the water.

Interesting; I believe a member here said that while the Crossroads MylarOne X3 is better than pretty much every dynamic canalphone (excl: Atrio M5), it doesn't compete with the Etymotic ER6i.

Best IEM under $100 is the AL iM716. It's the most detailed and the best value for its price point. A touch warmer than the totally neutral Etys and much more pleasant (pretty much destroys the ER6 from my aural observations). From a purely technical standpoint it is superlative in its price range; most other IEMs/canalphones at the price point sacrifice the detail and smooth cohesion for a different sound signature.

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting; I believe a member here said that while the Crossroads MylarOne X3 is better than pretty much every dynamic canalphone (excl: Atrio M5), it doesn't compete with the Etymotic ER6i.

Is that me?
wink.gif
(Confession: never listen to M5 before / not into dynamic)
Also not as detail / balance as E3c, and 6i has even more detail.
The one thing winning for X3 is the bass, unfortunately I am not a basshead.

Quote:

Best IEM under $100 is the AL iM716. It's the most detailed and the best value for its price point. A touch warmer than the totally neutral Etys and much more pleasant (pretty much destroys the ER6 from my aural observations). From a purely technical standpoint it is superlative in its price range; most other IEMs/canalphones at the price point sacrifice the detail and smooth cohesion for a different sound signature.

Agree. iM716 use a better drive than 6i, the only thing stopping me from getting one is because I really want a 4P (and I'm not big on the volume control thingy)

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

How about the Audio-Technica ATH-CK7? How do these rate?

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 29
Denon AH-C350.

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon AH-C350.

Nice lookin. Comparable to the Ep630s? Better I hope? The Ep630s were kind of a letdown for me.

Jun 21, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 29
iM716! Midrange clarity is great, and with a good seal there's good bass. Sounds fantastic when amped. If the highs are too harsh for you, try adding more resistance (more ohms). Either something like an Ety P to S adapter, through an amp with higher imp. feature, or podectomy. Ditch the stock tips and try out shure tips and diy custom foams. Also make sure you use a source with strong enough output.

Jun 21, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #13 of 29
Hmm..what about the more well known names? Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3 Studio? These are going for about USD$79 and heard good things about them. How are these compared to the Mylars?

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #14 of 29
d-JAYS or im716

I have heard the X3 and I cannot say I would buy them even for $57USD, they just weren't all the hype people have build around them

Jul 12, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #15 of 29
Thanks for all your help, folks. What did I end up with? I spent $130 on a pair of Future Sonic Atrios's and haven't regretted going over my self-imposed $100 limit for a second. "Wow" is all I can say. Once I got used to jamming them just millimeters from my walnut brain, the reward was all there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back